Kistler z-bone discontinued?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kistler z-bone discontinued?

Post by Basscatcher99 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Looks like the kistler z-bone LE is off Tackle Warehouses website and sold out on kistler's website as well. Have they been discontinued? Will they be replaced by 2015 models?

speckdog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Kistler z-bone discontinued?

Post by speckdog » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Appears that Kistler and Gary Loomis's company North Fork have parted ways. North Fork made the blanks for Kistler's Zbone and Klx and the Hel 3's rods. I could be wrong but appears like that is the case.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:46 pm

Glad to see NFC part ways with Kistler, if that's the case!

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimanogloomis man » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Wonder why and what's the plans for kistler?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 am

I'm guessing these are just rumors but if it did happen it wouldn't surprise me. Look at what happened when they first got big, the Helium LTA was made with a good blank and when a good customer base was established, they went with the cheapest blank they could find and the rest is history. I highly doubt they would do that again but you never know.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:53 am

speckdog wrote:Appears that Kistler and Gary Loomis's company North Fork have parted ways.
There is no truth that rumor. Kistler and North Fork Composites continue to work together and will for the foreseeable future.

SankTheBoat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SankTheBoat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:57 am

I know for sure that they were selling off all their 2014 stock at discounts over the winter, since I probably bought 10 different rods that were on sale. The majority of their KLX/H3/Z Bone rods are showing as Out Of Stock on their website. From what I have read, they have made some component changes for the new models, such as different guides on the KLX series. Also, someone on these forums said they were going to start production of the 2015 stock model Z Bones in late February to early March. They have re-introduced the Build Your Own Z Bone option on their website in the past couple of months.

Obviously, what I have read could be completely untrue. But it would make sense to clear out old models, especially if there are going to be component changes. Either way, I hope the Kistler-NFC relationship stays intact. For bottom contact, I haven't found anything I like better than the light weight and sensitivity of the NFC blanks combined with the clean, minimalist Kistler build.

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up, Cal! I didn't know whether to cry, call Reuben at Kistler, or go on a buying binge!

speckdog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by speckdog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:50 am

I stated that I could be wrong, my question is why would you let your signature rod the ZBone be out of stock for such a long time. Not a real good marketing plan to me.

tioke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tioke » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:01 am

SankTheBoat wrote:I know for sure that they were selling off all their 2014 stock at discounts over the winter, since I probably bought 10 different rods that were on sale. The majority of their KLX/H3/Z Bone rods are showing as Out Of Stock on their website. From what I have read, they have made some component changes for the new models, such as different guides on the KLX series. Also, someone on these forums said they were going to start production of the 2015 stock model Z Bones in late February to early March. They have re-introduced the Build Your Own Z Bone option on their website in the past couple of months.

Obviously, what I have read could be completely untrue. But it would make sense to clear out old models, especially if there are going to be component changes. Either way, I hope the Kistler-NFC relationship stays intact. For bottom contact, I haven't found anything I like better than the light weight and sensitivity of the NFC blanks combined with the clean, minimalist Kistler build.

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up, Cal! I didn't know whether to cry, call Reuben at Kistler, or go on a buying binge!
300 dollars for a blank and 200 dollars for torzite guides(all the others are stainless) is a little too much for "build your own z-bone". for me.
not much choise in handles.
too bad because the le blank is just awesome. and one of the most sensitive ones I fished with.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:33 am

tioke wrote:
SankTheBoat wrote:I know for sure that they were selling off all their 2014 stock at discounts over the winter, since I probably bought 10 different rods that were on sale. The majority of their KLX/H3/Z Bone rods are showing as Out Of Stock on their website. From what I have read, they have made some component changes for the new models, such as different guides on the KLX series. Also, someone on these forums said they were going to start production of the 2015 stock model Z Bones in late February to early March. They have re-introduced the Build Your Own Z Bone option on their website in the past couple of months.

300 dollars for a blank and 200 dollars for torzite guides(all the others are stainless) is a little too much for "build your own z-bone". for me.
too bad because the le blank is just awesome. and one of the most sensitive ones I fished with.
If you like the blank, have a custom rod built with a NFC blank. Problem solved.

mike464
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike464 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:18 am

The Z Bones are up for custom order on the Kistler site now, it states that they are still built with NFC blanks. I'm sure they will be building stock rods as well. I have bought a bunch of them the last few years and have no regrets. I plan on getting a new 4le sometime soon.

tioke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tioke » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:50 am

njbasscat wrote:
tioke wrote:

If you like the blank, have a custom rod built with a NFC blank. Problem solved.
can't find the le power2 blank!

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 am

mike464 wrote:The Z Bones are up for custom order on the Kistler site now, it states that they are still built with NFC blanks. I'm sure they will be building stock rods as well.
Well, so much for that. The entire Z Bone section is gone now.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 am

zelmo wrote:Well, so much for that. The entire Z Bone section is gone now.
They will be back... trust me ;)

SankTheBoat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SankTheBoat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:59 am

http://www.kistlerrods.com/fishing-rod/ ... ge253.html

Getting kinda pricy, especially in comparison to the H3's.... but I'll probably grab one anyway. :D

Who knows... This next gen NFC blank might be the new standard. I can definitely say that I prefer the Z Bone cosmetics, grip, and guides to those of the NRX.