G Loomis MBR GLX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

G Loomis MBR GLX rods

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 am

Has G Loomis discontinued the whole series? I was hoping to grab a few more.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G Loomis MBR GLX rods

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:02 am

I hope not. those GLX blanks and actions are some of the best ever made. I just wish they would keep the blanks and update the styling some.

pantera3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pantera3 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:15 am

I agree. I like the MBR and BCR GLX much better than the newer GLX blanks. If it's not broken don't fix it.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 pm

quantum angler nt wrote:Has G Loomis discontinued the whole series? I was hoping to grab a few more.

You've asked this question multiple times over the last few months. Have you asked Loomis? Have you tried contacting Bantam 1? Instead of continually asking here, and not getting an answer, why don't you go to the source?

I neither know nor care because as a custom builder I care about Loomis as much as they care about me. But I find it hard to believe that they would kill this line.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:26 am

When I look on the web site they list the MBR 782C, MBR 783C in both 1 and 2 piece, MBR 843C and an MBR 844C in the GLX line. They update their site regularly so I'm assuming you can still get the MBR rods in the GLX line.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 am

They're still available in most models...although fewer dealers are carrying. The 842 disappeared last year, and when I called Loomis they didn't even know it had been discontinued :lol:

It's my personal belief that the rods will remain around long enough for them to redo each line, like the did with NRX and GL2...going to split grips or at least updated looks. But it's no secret that they've slowed production on this line, and there dealers aren't stocking this line, or only very limited when they do. I know people don't want to hear this...but this is what will happen. I would say if you love the old model purchase as many as you can in the next year or so.

MBR line won't disappear, but it may look significantly different.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:45 am

Just a guess, but I believe Loomis wants the recently updated (I think 2012) "GLX BASS" line to eventually replace the "Classic Bass Line". Unfortunately, no full length cork handles in the "GLX Bass" line - these days split-grip is the fad.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:33 am

GRH wrote:Just a guess, but I believe Loomis wants the recently updated (I think 2012) "GLX BASS" line to eventually replace the "Classic Bass Line". Unfortunately, no full length cork handles in the "GLX Bass" line - these days split-grip is the fad.
There was a time I never thought I'd say this, but I've come to like split grip better. The asthetics look a little nicer, and there's less cork to age. I prefer cork over foam, but the average to low quality cork factory rods use over the past 15 years doesn't wear well. I've even seen sealed cork age.
I just hope Loomis continues the MBR tapers or at least more fast actions in the 2 and 3 powers (especially the 3's or MH) they're so versatile. But I think they will...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:57 am

No, they have not other than most notably the 842. I'd be happy to get you as many MBR 782, 783, 843, or 844 GLX rods as you'd like before they change or are discontinued. I don't know if or when they will change or discontinue them either. Great rods, classic, and all of those listed will have a permanent place in my "core" arsenal.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:30 pm

bronzefly wrote:No, they have not other than most notably the 842. I'd be happy to get you as many MBR 782, 783, 843, or 844 GLX rods as you'd like before they change or are discontinued. I don't know if or when they will change or discontinue them either. Great rods, classic, and all of those listed will have a permanent place in my "core" arsenal.
is MB782 just a short version of MBR842 and will it be OK for small top water mostly 1/4 to max 1/2 range with occasional use as a jerk bait rod? Thank you.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:05 am

PBP wrote:
bronzefly wrote:No, they have not other than most notably the 842. I'd be happy to get you as many MBR 782, 783, 843, or 844 GLX rods as you'd like before they change or are discontinued. I don't know if or when they will change or discontinue them either. Great rods, classic, and all of those listed will have a permanent place in my "core" arsenal.
is MB782 just a short version of MBR842 and will it be OK for small top water mostly 1/4 to max 1/2 range with occasional use as a jerk bait rod? Thank you.
Basically, yes. It's a great 1/4 to 1/2 oz top water and jerk bait rod. Those are among my favorite uses for the 782 GLX, but it can do a lot more including some lighter bottom contact work.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:17 am

Thank you for your reply,
I was searching on this forum and someone was saying 742 is lighter in power with more moderate action with 743 being more closer to 842 in power and action. Thinking 743 might fit me better and be more versatile if it can still be used for 1/4 top water.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:07 am

PBP wrote:Thank you for your reply,
I was searching on this forum and someone was saying 742 is lighter in power with more moderate action with 743 being more closer to 842 in power and action. Thinking 743 might fit me better and be more versatile if it can still be used for 1/4 top water.
The 842 is quite a bit more powerful than the 782, but still softer than the 783.

In my hands the most versatile and best rod for top water, medium cranks, and bottom contact up to 3/8 of an ounce is the GLX and NRX 852c. It's extra-fast, but because of the crisp light tip it's very versatile.

From Cal's review (see the review archive) on the 852c NRX he came to the same conclusion. I own both, and both are very nice and very similar. Of note the 852 NRX's Rate of Deflection was almost identical to the mbr 842 glx, it just hits the backbone a little quicker.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:29 am

PBP wrote:Thank you for your reply,
A 1/4 oz top water is on the light side of where the MBR 783 GLX handles well. A 1/2 oz top water at the upper end with the MBR 782 GLX. I threw a 1/2 oz Rio Rico for a long while on the MBR 782 GLX and it handled it quite well. I don't find the 782 to be significantly lighter in power or slower in taper than the MBR 842 GLX. The 6" difference is evident in fishing them of course, but the MBR 783 GLX is clearly more powerful than the MBR 842 GLX as you'd expect. I'd still prefer the MBR 782 GLX as a 1/4 to max 1/2 oz top water and occasional jerk bait rod as you've described. If you want to throw more spinner baits, chatter baits, 1/2 oz. and up top waters, then the 783 GLX is the way to go between the two.