What would you like to have on a Fishing Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What would you like to have on a Fishing Rod?

Post by trent_s » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:28 am

Actually, I believe carbon fiber handles usually add a significant amount of weight.

I would like to see slightly longer handles...that can balance rods better, especially on 7'2"+ length rods.

I love the MB rods that have cork rear grip, and foam foregrip mix! I would like to see more companies go outside the box and play with cork, foam mix. UMBX (Phenix rods) have great looking handle layouts, I just think they are completely devoid of sensitivity.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:53 am

"Actually, I believe carbon fiber handles usually add a significant amount of weight."

The ones I have on my Edge rods and my Lamiglases are extremely light especially compared to my usual cork Fetha Styx, Loomis, St. Croixes, etc... I think it might depend on the design of the fiber carbon handle. If it is a 100% solid carbon fiber handle then I would imagine it would be quite a bit heavier than a traditional cork handle. The ones I have on my Edge rods are fantastically light and I would imagine a lot thinner, though I have no doubts about handle strength and integrity. The ones on the Lamiglas are definitely thicker but I think the reason they do that is to try to add weight to bottom to better balance the rod and to give a more traditional feel to the rod. Lots of times innovation isn't taken all that well by the consumer markets and has to be gradually introduced.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 am

Here is my list of wants...

1) Guides somewhere between normal size and micro/macro size... Can you imagine trying to fish the Hartwell Classic with micro/macro guides.

2) Probably the one thing I've wanted for years... a simple, discrete, robust and effective balancing system (I think Cabelas or Bass Pro used to have one a few years back).

3) Better grip options... the new Winn Grips might fit the bill.

thx

djd

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 am

djd wrote:Here is my list of wants...

2) Probably the one thing I've wanted for years... a simple, discrete, robust and effective balancing system (I think Cabelas or Bass Pro used to have one a few years back).

djd

Yes, both companies did. A desirable feature, as placing the weight at the butt end of a split grip has a much stronger balancing effect than adding the same amount of weight in cork all the way to the reel.

Sadly, the BPS and Cabelas rods I bought that featured the balancing system were relatively heavy to begin with.