favorite shakey head rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wingzero9969
Angler
Angler

favorite shakey head rod

Post by wingzero9969 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Just seeing what everyone prefers. I plan to use this technique alot more this year. Thanks for your input

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: favorite shakey head rod

Post by DavidSA » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 am

When I fist started years ago I was using 6lb line on a spinning rod. Great luck. As I tried the technique on different bodies of water I learned that most days going slow and using light line made no difference and that I could do just as well with 12# line on a baitcaster.

During the same period I noticed that getting a good hook set could be a problem; especially on big fish. For this reason my go to rig for a shakey head worm is

a- Gloomis NRX 803, MG50 Chronarch reel, 12#FC line, zoom trick worm and typically a 1/8oz jig head. I will go to say a 1/4oz of heavier only if needed.

b- Gloomis BSR 852 spinning rod, Fuego 2000, 20# braid with a 10# FC leader. I might go down to a 1/32oz weight on this rig but I still have a powerful hook set.

again, I did not start out with powerful gear and braid but unless I am in a gin clear mountain lake I find it makes no difference.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:45 am

Loomis MBR842 and Dobyns DX742 with 8 lb fluoro (Scorpion 1000 Mg or Chronarch 50 Mg reels). I will occasionally go up to MBR843 GLX and 10 lb fluoro. For the clearer waters/reservoirs in Northern CA...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:12 am

I was using a G.Loomis 6' SJR 722 GL3 when I started fishing the shaky head and it didn't take long to figure out I needed to go a little longer. My next one was the 6'6" SJR 782 GL3 , this was a lot better and then I got a Fenwick Elite Tech 6'9" M-XF for small jigs and tubes but I tried it with shaky heads first and it is now my favorite shaky head rod.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 am

smalljaw wrote:I was using a G.Loomis 6' SJR 722 GL3 when I started fishing the shaky head and it didn't take long to figure out I needed to go a little longer. My next one was the 6'6" SJR 782 GL3 , this was a lot better and then I got a Fenwick Elite Tech 6'9" M-XF for small jigs and tubes but I tried it with shaky heads first and it is now my favorite shaky head rod.

I can imagine that elite-tech would be great. I have the smallmouth 6'9 ML fast version I use for grubs and this is a great rod. I would not hesitate to use this line of rods and if budget is a concern I don't think you will do better in any make.

p.s. I use my elite-tech for shaky heads on in case I feel I need to drop to 6# FC.