Need help on which Rod to buy. Dobyn's Dx, MegaBass or Envy

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Ranger05
Angler
Angler

Need help on which Rod to buy. Dobyn's Dx, MegaBass or Envy

Post by Ranger05 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:46 pm

I want to buy a nice Bass Rod and will be throwing weightless Senko's, Texas rig's and light Jigs on this Rod. The Reel I will be using is a Daiwa Zillion. I have it numbered down to Four Rods and I was wondering which of the Four do you guys feel would be the best for me. The Four I am looking at are the MegaBass Orochi XX Extreme Mission Type F, MegaBass Orochi XX Tour Versatile, The Dobyn's DX 744 and the 13 Fishing Envy 7'3" Medium Heavy. I just do not have the money to buy more than one right now and I worry about making the wrong choice. Any and all help would be great. Thank you all very much

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help on which Rod to buy. Dobyn's Dx, MegaBass or E

Post by tywithay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:56 pm

I think the Envy offers the best performance for your dollar. It's about as sensitive as the other two. The Extreme Mission is a special rod though. The action is just perfect. I don't think there's a finer senko rod.

Ranger05
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger05 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Thank's for your reply. I'm just not sure about those rec guides on the Envy but I have not ruled that rod out just yet. I am leaning more toward the Megabass Orochi XX EMTF because with me being a family man and having children I can't spent a lot on rods and reels but I have saved for a good while to buy one very nice rod and I think this one would do more for me as in being able to fish more bait type's. I am a little scared by the 3 year warranty VS Dobyn's life time $60.00 replacement though. the best rod I own at the moment is a Quantum Smoke so I'm sure any of them will be a big step up for me.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:49 pm

I don't care for the recoil guides either, but they've never really given me any problems either; just a personal preference. The Extreme Mission also makes a great rod for t-rigs, jigs, and a bunch of other baits. There's no reason a rod should break after 3 years, if it has worked for those 3 years. Manufacturing defects usually show up very early, within the first few hours.

cdav111
Angler
Angler

Post by cdav111 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:50 pm

you will NOT be disappointing with the EMTF, as it is a very special rod that has the "it" factor. It is one of those rods that just comes alive in your hands. It is also extremely versatile. I throw paddle tails with it and a big worm, but its also great for spinner baits chatter baits, jigs up to 1/2 oz. big worms up to 3/4 oz. carolina rig etc. etc. Absolutely great rod. one of my favorites.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Emtf, no question.

Stapsy
Angler
Angler

Post by Stapsy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm

How are you planning on using the rod? In my experience the EMTF has a more moderate taper than the Envy, which lends itself better to long casts. The Envy has a very light tip and more backbone compared with the EMTF. The Envy is also significantly lighter in hand than the EMTF. Sensitivity is a toss up between the two and will likely depend on personal preference.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, however they each have different strengths. Long casting with Senko along flats, weedlines, points etc. I would go EMTF. Closer range pitching and skipping around docks I would go with the Envy.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Flip a coin. Heads Megabass and Tails ENVY. Either way you still win.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:32 am

The EMTF is a favorite of mine. Great rod for multiple things. Come this spring the rod will be on its 3rd year. I would buy another in a hearbeat. The Dobyns DX will be the best looking and best balanced plus great warranty coverage. The Envy will be the best value and up there in feel. Some good choices in your group but I would pick the EMTF

Ranger05
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger05 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:32 am

I will mostly be casting Senko's and Texas rig's or Beaver type baits to grass lines so I am going to buy the Megabass EMTF. Thank you all for the help. I just found this website a month or so age and it was great to get some advice from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks again.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:53 am

EMTF is the best Senko rod next to the NRX 893 JWR, or so I hear. I havent found a need to try the NRX yet :lol: I put more fish to hand on my EMTF with a weightless T-rigged 5" Senko last year than any other rod/technique. It's a pitching machine. I also like it with beaver baits and pitching 1/4oz jig/trailers into cover. Like another poster said, it has that "it" factor. Very versatile, sensitive rod with the perfect action for weightless Senkos.

snk
Angler
Angler

Post by snk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:49 am

Are those true micro guides on the EMTF?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:08 am

More of. Macro from what I can tell

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 am

Do you like open reel seats? To some it's great and to some they hate it. The EMTF has fuji ecs reel seat which to me is plain Jane but the most comfterable reel seat out there. The Envy open reel seat kind of bothers me but depending on which reel I have mounted on it. The sensitivity on the Envy is great though. However I think the MH Envy is too stiff to cast senkos accurately. Go with their 7'3 M. It's plenty powerful for senkos.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:57 pm

snk wrote:Are those true micro guides on the EMTF?
No, smaller than standard, but bigger than true micros. Small enough though that passing leader connections can be an issue. I've also experienced scum building up in the tip off of the line, enough so that if I didnt clean it out or notice it, it would hinder casting distance/create backlashes. Not a big deal though.