new IMX vs last gen

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

new IMX vs last gen

Post by IAY » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:51 am

I don't get a lot of chance to hold high end gear before I buy them, since there is no stores around me that carries them. I was shocked when finally got a chance to hold some new IMX, and GLX. They felt much heavier, and much less comfortable, than the last gen IMX that I own. Do they make up on this by being a much more sensitive stick?

Thanks TT,

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: new IMX vs last gen

Post by trent_s » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:08 am

IAY wrote:I don't get a lot of chance to hold high end gear before I buy them, since there is no stores around me that carries them. I was shocked when finally got a chance to hold some new IMX, and GLX. They felt much heavier, and much less comfortable, than the last gen IMX that I own. Do they make up on this by being a much more sensitive stick?

Thanks TT,

I only can speak to the differences in the GLX, old vs new, IMX I would imagine underwent similar changes. They claimed on the GLX a weight reduction of 15% or more, can't remember, I believe would probably mainly be due to the titanium framed guides and split grip. But on the graphite, I found the rod overall to definitely be lighter, and the graphite if anything feels even tighter (crisper) more sensitive to me. But either way it definitely didn't get worse.

nickp
Angler
Angler

Post by nickp » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:31 am

The general consensus by loomis guys is that the previous imx was twice as sensitive as the "new" imx. I bought a 843imx mbr and immediately sold it 2 months later (had to give it a chance) for $235 shipped. Part of the game I suppose. Same with the two gl2 rods I bought last season. Fished um for the year and sold um for $110-125.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 am

nickp wrote:The general consensus by loomis guys is that the previous imx was twice as sensitive as the "new" imx. I bought a 843imx mbr and immediately sold it 2 months later (had to give it a chance) for $235 shipped. Part of the game I suppose. Same with the two gl2 rods I bought last season. Fished um for the year and sold um for $110-125.
:shock: !! Wow

Like I said never fished the new IMX, if true that sucks, the old IMX was very good almost GLX feel, and reasonably priced. If this is true it's disgusting. Again my GLX feels really close to the old, if there's a difference I can't tell, but I don't have any old GLX's to compare against as I sold my older ones...mainly have customs now.

nickp
Angler
Angler

Post by nickp » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:03 pm

I sold an old 843 imx that was truly the pinnacle of a jack of all trades rod, wish I could of bought the rod back for the $120 I sold it for. I too was very let down :/ my nrx's on the other hand are a+++++