XX Flat Side Special Vs. Swingfire

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

XX Flat Side Special Vs. Swingfire

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 am

So I had my heart set on a FSS for lighter crank duties. Looking for a stick to handle the smaller Bandit 100/200, DT's 4's, SK 3's, etc. Would also like it to pull lipless duties with 1/2oz being the size most commonly in use. Right now I'm using a 7' Compre M with a 201D and it just wont bomb those little baits far at all. I tried a GL2 843CBR and while it casted the lighter baits better, I hated the sensitivity and noodliness of that rod. The Swingfire intrigues me as it has a little extra length for casting and has a hybrid construction so it should bend a little more. The FSS states it has a good bend to it as well though. I am concerned it may feel a bit more dead than the FSS due to the glass though. It also is only rated to 3/8 where the FSS is 1/4. Anyone put some work on the Swingfire yet? It will be paired with an Alphas SV and 12lb fluoro.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: XX Flat Side Special Vs. Swingfire

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 am

The Swingfire is on my radar as well, even so that I'm contemplating replacing my 764CB RM with this rod.
Unfortunately, I'm thinking it might be a little more time before we're able to get on the water experiences.
Mark Perry did a quick review on BBC of all the new models after using them on the water if i'm not mistaking.
I'm very curious about the Swingfire as well, I'm sincerely hopping it's not a "flimsy noodle" like rod.

As far as the FSS, I simply love this rod, probably as to why I own 2.
Awesome rod for treble hook baits. I use both of mine for Topwater and double as a smaller profile crank rod.
It has a decent amount of back bone with the perfect tip to cast with precision, IMO anyways, but again to each his own.

It's far from being accurate, but I'm applying pressure to the point of heavier resistance on the picture below.

Hope this helps somewhat, and looking forward to replies, as I'm very curious in regards to the Swingfire.

I'm sure Gary or Ryan might have some input ;)

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks for the reply and picture. Looks like it has a decent bend to it. Did that take much pressure to apply? I'm mostly concerned with how it will handle a light balsa/plastic bait. I love fishing them, but cannot cast them effectively. The review mark linked to makes the Swingfire sound like the right rod.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:49 am

Teal101 wrote:Thanks for the reply and picture. Looks like it has a decent bend to it. Did that take much pressure to apply? I'm mostly concerned with how it will handle a light balsa/plastic bait. I love fishing them, but cannot cast them effectively. The review mark linked to makes the Swingfire sound like the right rod.
Thats why it's not very accurate depending on the amount of pressure each and everyone applies to the rod.
But I'm basically applying as much pressure as I can to where it stops bending.
Again, just to get an idea.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 am

Disclaimer in that I prefer a little stouter cranking rod than most. The Swingfire is a tad on the lighter side for me in that regard. I can see it fitting what the OP wants it for moreso than the FSS. I actually like the feel of the FSS better in regards to 1.5 sized squarebills and most topwaters under 3/4. I like the smaller length of the FSS for tight quarters and roll casting. I also like it better for working topwaters.
I like the Swingfire for traps and more open water type cranking with say a smaller medium diver. Again I need to emphasize I am an oddball in regards to my cranking preferences and I am willing to bet Gary and anyone else with hands on use of teh Swingfire will say it more than fits the bill for what the OP is looking for.

I know at the recent shows the Swingfire has gotten a lot of attention and the feedback has been that most are fans of it.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:00 am

Swingfire is not a soft noodle rod at all. I would say 1/4oz - 3/4oz shallow to mid crank rod. Nice lively tip with a moderate action and stout butt comparable to a 704CB?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Swingfire is not a soft noodle rod at all. I would say 1/4oz - 3/4oz shallow to mid crank rod. Nice lively tip with a moderate action and stout butt comparable to a 704CB?

That is why I wanted to be clear the most if not all that have seen it at the shows I worked have loved it. I would not call it a noodle in any way I just prefer a tad stouter on some of my cranking especially the shallow cranking as I throw mine in heavy cover often and prefer the shorter rods as well as what most would think is too stout for cranking. I can honestly say its just personal preference on my part and in no way is a poor reflection of a rod. Most feel its perfect for what they want. Heck up until a couple of years ago I threw all my squarebills on a 7' MH graphite rod. 99% of the people out there wanting a cranking rod would be more than happy with the Swingfire. I like it but I like it more in open water etc.