Shimano Zodias

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Zodias

Post by Handler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:41 am

I'm looking for another crank bait rod. Anyone know which is slower, the ZDS268ML or the ZDS270ML?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 am

Loafer wrote:
silversix wrote:Is it a true 2 piece rod or all that's removable is the handle (which would be dumb as hell :-k )?
My 1610M-2 is a true 2 piece rod and i saw pictures of 166MH-2 from my russians fisherman-friend and it is 2 pieces rod too. Both models WITHOUT removable handle, simply separated in the middle.
Okay thanks.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:51 am

I wonder if the spinning rods are true 2pc rods that split in the middle as well? hmmmm....

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:20 am

Handler wrote:I wonder if the spinning rods are true 2pc rods that split in the middle as well? hmmmm....
All the NA models are 1 pc. The JDM the regular 6'10"+ rods are 2pc by handle.

They also have 2pc middle connection rods.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 am

Guys who palm with four fingers above the trigger, which reels are you running on your Zodias?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a reel that I can palm on the rod without crowding my pinky on the trigger. The Met is close but not quite there for me.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:15 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Handler wrote:I wonder if the spinning rods are true 2pc rods that split in the middle as well? hmmmm....

It says 'Zodias center cut 2 piece (Bait spinning)' on the top left. What is the *bait spinning* supposed to mean? Do they mean those are all the models that are center cut from both, the spinning models and baitcasters or am i missing something?

The 1610MH-2 is a center cut, two piece baitcaster, right? A little nervous about ordering it since there's not information anywhere.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:34 pm

CGrinder wrote:Guys who palm with four fingers above the trigger, which reels are you running on your Zodias?
I'm having a heck of a time finding a reel that I can palm on the rod without crowding my pinky on the trigger. The Met is close but not quite there for me.
I use Zodias with Met 13 and check it with Chronarch CI4+, both reels perfect on this rod.
Handler wrote:I'm looking for another crank bait rod. Anyone know which is slower, the ZDS268ML or the ZDS270ML?
According models table from Shimano official site, these 2 rods are identical with any type of lures, which you can use.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

silversix wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:

It says 'Zodias center cut 2 piece (Bait spinning)' on the top left. What is the *bait spinning* supposed to mean? Do they mean those are all the models that are center cut from both, the spinning models and baitcasters or am i missing something?

The 1610MH-2 is a center cut, two piece baitcaster, right? A little nervous about ordering it since there's not information anywhere.
The chart has both baitcast and spinning rods. Rods that start with "1" are baitcasting. Rods that start with "2" are spinning. The 1610MH-2 is a baitcast rod. The collapsed size column shows that they are roughly half the length of a fully assembled rod (+ ferrule/joint), so it's center cut.

jchau53
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jchau53 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 am

Hey Ryan
Where is a good place to find these rods?
I know Pro J is one if them but kind of far from me.
Every place I call most are sold out!!!!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:33 am

jchau53 wrote:Hey Ryan
Where is a good place to find these rods?
I know Pro J is one if them but kind of far from me.
Every place I call most are sold out!!!!
Selling like crazy. Pro j sold out but new stock coming this week.

Tell me what model u want or take mine to try.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:50 am

Thanks for those charts, they are really helpful! Looks like I'll be getting some new sticks. Any reason no t to save money and buy from Plat? I imagine the big shipping expense is mitigated by buying multiple rods.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:27 am

Handler wrote:Thanks for those charts, they are really helpful! Looks like I'll be getting some new sticks. Any reason no t to save money and buy from Plat? I imagine the big shipping expense is mitigated by buying multiple rods.
You welcome! About purchase: i order my rod on ebay and it delivered to me (Moscow Region, Russian Federation) from Japan about 7 days.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:10 am

CGrinder wrote:Guys who palm with four fingers above the trigger, which reels are you running on your Zodias?
By the way, if it still actual:

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks Loafer. That's quite helpful. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a reel that will let me use four fingers in front of the trigger. I just got a Ci4+ in yesterday and while it's very close, it still cramps my hand while working the rod. Three fingers in front is very comfortable though. I don't know; I might send this one back and just buy a Perfect Pitch. It's a shame that I can't make the seat work because it's an amazing rod otherwise.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:03 am

Here's my 2 cents on the Zodias rods I own.

I have two of these rods, a 172M and 1610ML.

172M:

It's a M mod fast that fishes a lot like a MH. The 1/4 low limit is doable but it does not do it well. I use the rod to bomb 1/2 ounce lipless cranks on #12 flouro and 5-6 inch range weightless cigar worms such as BPS Stick-Os. It'll shoot a 4 1/4 inch Stick-O on a 3/32 ounce flick shake head at dock well enough to get the job done but I'd rather use the 1610ML for that. The sweet spot for this rod is around 5/16-1/2 ounce IMO.

1610ML:

The rod is a ML mod fast. It's the kid brother to the 172M in that they are very similar but the 1610ML is a bit shorter and bit softer. The 3/16 ounce low limit is a bit of stretch but it is doable. I've thrown Megabass baby pop-x and griffons on it and the trajectory isn't as flat as I'd like. I prefer to throw those baits on the Volkey BFS 68L or Kuying Teton 662L. I like to use the rod for smaller Stick-Os and 3/16-5/16 ounce casting jigs like Lethal Weapon Lethal Bug but it should work well as a jerkbait rod too. Ned rig use is a bit of a stretch unless you're throwing Neds in 1/4 ounce total weight. 1/4-3/8 ounce is sweet spot for this rod IMO.

They're good powerful and sensitive rods but that mod fast taper while versatile, is sort of... generic.