Shimano Zodias

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Zodias

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:16 am

Loving the Zodias so far...

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 am

I am loving mine for frogs as well. Best frog rod I have ever used...
It's so light that at first I was a little hesitant to lay it to them, but it handles them just fine. Set with confidence!
Paired with the Exsence, pitching and side arm slings are automatic, land under this tree, skip under that dock, not a second thought at all. In fact, I had to turn up the brakes because I kept over shooting my targets on quick side arm snaps at 30 yards. Downsizing my braid to 40lb due to the capacity was a little scary, I think 50 would be fine as well though. But the lighter line slinging through the guides and freeing up the frog really brought back the joy and skill to working the bait, instead slogging it out there on heavy cord and a 7'11" Envy that I was using. That Envy is a great punch rod but it will wear you out target fishing topwater after a couple hours for sure.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:18 am

BucketHunter wrote:I am loving mine for frogs as well. Best frog rod I have ever used...
It's so light that at first I was a little hesitant to lay it to them, but it handles them just fine. Set with confidence!
Paired with the Exsence, pitching and side arm slings are automatic, land under this tree, skip under that dock, not a second thought at all. In fact, I had to turn up the brakes because I kept over shooting my targets on quick side arm snaps at 30 yards. Downsizing my braid to 40lb due to the capacity was a little scary, I think 50 would be fine as well though. But the lighter line slinging through the guides and freeing up the frog really brought back the joy and skill to working the bait, instead slogging it out there on heavy cord and a 7'11" Envy that I was using. That Envy is a great punch rod but it will wear you out target fishing topwater after a couple hours for sure.
Man, that is great to hear. I've got a 7'2" H Zodias on the way for frog duty. :big grin:

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Hello to everyone!
Yesterday i recieved my Zodias 1610M-2 casting rod. First impression - its a great rod for this money. I dont have Shimano before, just several Major Craft rods (Arrival and Corzza). If compare quality of these sticks, i may say that Zodias is more comfortable than MC: nice accurate guides, CI4+ real seat, EVA handle. I think i'll be use it with Metanium 13. Can't wait for moment, when i'll turn up with this combo on river coast and try it. I hope take some pictures or may be a video with some kind of lures, such as spinnerbait, crank and minnow.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Loafer wrote:Hello to everyone!
Yesterday i recieved my Zodias 1610M-2 casting rod. First impression - its a great rod for this money. I dont have Shimano before, just several Major Craft rods (Arrival and Corzza). If compare quality of these sticks, i may say that Zodias is more comfortable than MC: nice accurate guides, CI4+ real seat, EVA handle. I think i'll be use it with Metanium 13. Can't wait for moment, when i'll turn up with this combo on river coast and try it. I hope take some pictures or may be a video with some kind of lures, such as spinnerbait, crank and minnow.
I've been eyeballing the 2 piece bfs model, but I think I'll stick with Major Craft or go custom. I'm curious how light that 2 piece model you acquired will go.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

On japanese Shimano site appeared a PDF table with models and rigs/lures, which it made for:
Can anyone translate designation for it?
I find that white circle is "comfortable/suitable", but i dont know, what is red circle and triangle.

UPD.: Sorry, guys, i did it by himself:
red circle - most suitable
white circle - suitable
triangle - can use

If Google Translate don't fool me :)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Sweet. So I can use each rod for pretty much everything :lol:

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:49 am

Just ordered a 7'2 H to pair up with my new Metanium XG :evil22:

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:45 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Sweet. So I can use each rod for pretty much everything :lol:
Yep!
Unfortunately, raining weather didn't let me go fishing in that weekend. But I was able to allocate some time to test the rod on a small pond. From the first cast rod was a continuation of my hand, CI4+ reel seat is very nice in palm, rod is pretty lightweight, action - fast. My goal - use it for 90-110 mm, 10-18 gr minnow lures and Zodias work it very well. Minimum comfortable weight is 8-9 gr, i think. For experiment, i cast 65 mm (5.6 gr) minnow: at first it was a bit uncomfortable, but i added some brakes and lure flew away for 27-30 turns of reel (79 cm retrieve for one turn). I use it with PE line, #2.0, 20 Lb - this is maximum, allowed to the rod. Nice sensitivity, contact with lure, i feel all touch to the bottom or drowned trees and seaweed. For maximum weight i used 18 gr minnow, and have not any issues with this - rod twitch is perfect, even aggressive style. I try it for another type of bait and like it too: with 14 gr spinnerbait and crank i feel all vibration of bait and for 17.5 small swimbait jerking well.
Thank you for your attention! Have a nice day!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Loafer wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Sweet. So I can use each rod for pretty much everything :lol:
Yep!
Unfortunately, raining weather didn't let me go fishing in that weekend. But I was able to allocate some time to test the rod on a small pond. From the first cast rod was a continuation of my hand, CI4+ reel seat is very nice in palm, rod is pretty lightweight, action - fast. My goal - use it for 90-110 mm, 10-18 gr minnow lures and Zodias work it very well. Minimum comfortable weight is 8-9 gr, i think. For experiment, i cast 65 mm (5.6 gr) minnow: at first it was a bit uncomfortable, but i added some brakes and lure flew away for 27-30 turns of reel (79 cm retrieve for one turn). I use it with PE line, #2.0, 20 Lb - this is maximum, allowed to the rod. Nice sensitivity, contact with lure, i feel all touch to the bottom or drowned trees and seaweed. For maximum weight i used 18 gr minnow, and have not any issues with this - rod twitch is perfect, even aggressive style. I try it for another type of bait and like it too: with 14 gr spinnerbait and crank i feel all vibration of bait and for 17.5 small swimbait jerking well.
Thank you for your attention! Have a nice day!
=D>
FYI I saw your youtube video, wish I could understand Russian! :lol:

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Bootytrain wrote: =D>
FYI I saw your youtube video, wish I could understand Russian! :lol:
Thanx!
There is no English subtitles, sorry. In the beginning, i talking about rod, design, weight and Shimano technology, which used in it. Then, usual, before cast, i talking about lure weight and dimension, how deep it may swim. In end of video, i shared my emotions and feelings after few hours of using Zodias, strengths and weaknesses of the rod. By the way, the only negative - rod cover, it single and both piece of the rod lie in it, and not separated by a cloth. Everything else - excellent!

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:00 am

I just ordered a 1610ml-2 to pair with my new aldebaran lmt , looks interesting for some finesse, hope I made a good choice.

Joe H
Angler
Angler

Post by Joe H » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am

mprestonSEK wrote:Just ordered a 7'2 H to pair up with my new Metanium XG :evil22:
Nice, let me know how you like it. I'm thinking about ordering the same combo...

Joe H
Angler
Angler

Post by Joe H » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:33 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
bassninja wrote:Which model is best for 3/8 oz jigs with 14lb fluoro? I'm looking at the 6'10"MH, 7'2"MH or 7'2"H. I don't know why, but I'm leaning towards the 6'10"MH. Something about them 6'10" rods.
I used the 7'2mh with 1/4 and 3/8 trig and it was awesome. Skipping and flipping all day and it's a nice stick. For skipping the 6'10mh might be better. Lots of power and very accurate blank, winner in my books!!
Could you tell me what this rod is like compared to the Megabass Orochi XX EMTF? I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but they seem somewhat similar as far as lure weight and versatility etc. The reason I ask is because I'm ordering a rod tonight for my Met XG and it's pretty much between these two. It would be nice to save $100, but I know the Orochi's are an amazing lineup and tough to compete with... At the same time this Zodias seems like probably the top rod for $200 right now and are something I definitely want to check out eventually.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:56 am

Joe H wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
bassninja wrote:Which model is best for 3/8 oz jigs with 14lb fluoro? I'm looking at the 6'10"MH, 7'2"MH or 7'2"H. I don't know why, but I'm leaning towards the 6'10"MH. Something about them 6'10" rods.
I used the 7'2mh with 1/4 and 3/8 trig and it was awesome. Skipping and flipping all day and it's a nice stick. For skipping the 6'10mh might be better. Lots of power and very accurate blank, winner in my books!!
Could you tell me what this rod is like compared to the Megabass Orochi XX EMTF? I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but they seem somewhat similar as far as lure weight and versatility etc. The reason I ask is because I'm ordering a rod tonight for my Met XG and it's pretty much between these two. It would be nice to save $100, but I know the Orochi's are an amazing lineup and tough to compete with... At the same time this Zodias seems like probably the top rod for $200 right now and are something I definitely want to check out eventually.
The zodias is more maneuverable due to the length and weight and i feel not as powerful. The emtf i use for t-rig 3/8oz and up.