Fuji Small Diameter KR Concept Guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fuji Small Diameter KR Concept Guides

Post by bigturtle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am

Can anyone tell me how small these guides are? especially the tip guide.
Will a #30 braid to #12 mono albright knot pass through with ease?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Fuji Small Diameter KR Concept Guides

Post by Mattman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 am

This series of guides is available in multiple sizes.

You really need to ask the manufacturer which size guide they use on your model of rod.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 pm

bigturtle wrote:Can anyone tell me how small these guides are? especially the tip guide.
Will a #30 braid to #12 mono albright knot pass through with ease?
I use Ks on all my builds and have a setup with that exact line and knot combination. I wouldn't recommend smaller than size 5 guides. You could use 4s if you upgrade to Torzites as they use less ceramic material and have a bigger opening at the same ring size... but they also cost about 6 times as much as Alconites, which are still great in my opinion.

The 5s are pretty small. I think that is what Megabass uses on the XX rods, maybe 6s.

DaveJ

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:38 am

If I'm using leader knots on heavier lines #12 up I'd run no smaller than 6.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:02 pm

I've ordered spinning rods with KR Concept guides manufactured by 3 different companies --- Quantum, Kistler, and St. Croix. There KR micro guide rods all came standard with 4.5 size running guides (the smallest guides going toward the tip. In addition, they all had size 4.5 tip tops. Since that time I've also built several rods with KR Concept guide layouts. What I liked about fishing the 4.5 size running guides with 30 lb. braid -- the line shot through the guides well and I had extra casting accuracy with straight over the top casts. The small guides and tip tops also made for a very light and sensitive rod. What I disliked about fishing size 4.5 running guides with 30 lb. and larger braid: When casting sidearm --- something I do a considerably amount when casting under and around brush --- size 4.5 running guides and tip tops made my casting considerably less accurate and especially when fishing with stiffer model rods. I cast some bobber stop knots through the smaller guides and they would tend to hang up a bit --- certainly would not want to try that with a bait casting reel. I also make long drift presentations with the spinning reel's bail open to let line flow out easily and naturally. The smaller guides -- definitely make it more difficult to achieve this type of presentation.

I've since experimented with size 6, and 5.5 running guides and liked both of those options considerably better than the 4.5 guides. I started out with size 6 guides and it worked well so I then experimented with one size smaller running guide -- the 5.5s and they worked well both with casts and my open reel presentations. I'm now experimenting with size 5 running guides -- but know there is the possibility I could be downsizing back to some of my earlier problems. I should also mention that when building with size 5.5 or smaller running guides I often use a size 6 ring tip top -- as the larger tip passes knots more smoothly.

As mentioned by earlier posters you may want to find out from the rod builder what size guides will be used --- if you are having a rod custom built with KR Concept guides be sure to discuss with you builder which size running guides you will want to use. After fishing with several KR Concept spinning rods -- I really enjoy them -- although there are still things I have not totally figured out about guide spacing. The main advantages are smoother casts (not necessarily longer), additional sensitivity, and and lighter weight. I would suggest you may be able to get a demo rod to try and see how you like the KR Concept guides before purchase.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:37 am

Susitnasalmonguide wrote:I've ordered spinning rods with KR Concept guides manufactured by 3 different companies --- Quantum, Kistler, and St. Croix. There KR micro guide rods all came standard with 4.5 size running guides (the smallest guides going toward the tip. In addition, they all had size 4.5 tip tops. Since that time I've also built several rods with KR Concept guide layouts. What I liked about fishing the 4.5 size running guides with 30 lb. braid -- the line shot through the guides well and I had extra casting accuracy with straight over the top casts. The small guides and tip tops also made for a very light and sensitive rod. What I disliked about fishing size 4.5 running guides with 30 lb. and larger braid: When casting sidearm --- something I do a considerably amount when casting under and around brush --- size 4.5 running guides and tip tops made my casting considerably less accurate and especially when fishing with stiffer model rods. I cast some bobber stop knots through the smaller guides and they would tend to hang up a bit --- certainly would not want to try that with a bait casting reel. I also make long drift presentations with the spinning reel's bail open to let line flow out easily and naturally. The smaller guides -- definitely make it more difficult to achieve this type of presentation.

I've since experimented with size 6, and 5.5 running guides and liked both of those options considerably better than the 4.5 guides. I started out with size 6 guides and it worked well so I then experimented with one size smaller running guide -- the 5.5s and they worked well both with casts and my open reel presentations. I'm now experimenting with size 5 running guides -- but know there is the possibility I could be downsizing back to some of my earlier problems. I should also mention that when building with size 5.5 or smaller running guides I often use a size 6 ring tip top -- as the larger tip passes knots more smoothly.

As mentioned by earlier posters you may want to find out from the rod builder what size guides will be used --- if you are having a rod custom built with KR Concept guides be sure to discuss with you builder which size running guides you will want to use. After fishing with several KR Concept spinning rods -- I really enjoy them -- although there are still things I have not totally figured out about guide spacing. The main advantages are smoother casts (not necessarily longer), additional sensitivity, and and lighter weight. I would suggest you may be able to get a demo rod to try and see how you like the KR Concept guides before purchase.
So how was your experiment with size 5 running guides? Were they ok?

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:14 pm

I've built A lot of spinning rods since I wrote this post -- and 5 mm running guides are now what I use most of the time. They work very well in most situations. Just finished a bait casting rod, as well as two spinning rods in the past 4 days. All have 5mm running guides. For 30 lb. braid on the spinning rods they work very well -- and I have good casting accuracy both overhand and sidearm.

Susitnasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix