STEEZ XBD FROG ROD : Your feedback?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: STEEZ XBD FROG ROD : Your feedback?

Post by steve1206 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:40 am

Lafayette wrote:I will for sure ;)

Christmas is not a good period for largemouth and froggin in the south west of France but I will try to find some pikes to play with.
Sent you a PM with an offer...but didn't realize you were in France..Please disregard..

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks for your PM Steeve, it was nice offer.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:06 am

Something to keep in mind is that earlier versions of this rod did in fact have a much longer handle. Current models measure 15" from the butt of the rod to the top of the foregrip. I purchased an older model from ebay a while back and it was longer than that. I do not remember the exact length but it was at least 15" from the butt of the rod to the rear of the reel seat. From wrist to eblow my arm measures 11"; that XBD rod I got through ebay extended past my elbow while palming the reel...

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Are you sure you are not speaking about the steez stratofortress rod which is also à 7.4 ft X-HEAVY rod?

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:12 am

Lafayette wrote:Are you sure you are not speaking about the steez stratofortress rod which is also à 7.4 ft X-HEAVY rod?
positive. current productions of the XBD have shorter handles.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 am

I've got two XBD frog rods..
One purchased shortly after release, the second bought this summer.
The handle lengths are identical on both rods.. The only similar Steez with a longer handle is the swimbait rod.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:09 am

Lafayette wrote:
Lafayette wrote:Hi

I am very closed to buy these rod despite her price tag... We have only one life and I am a frog fishing addict... ;)

I have read the tackletour review which is more than positive but I would like to have some users feedback.

Could the owners of this rod tell me their opinion?
I love my frog rods!
One is used for frogging, the other or small swimbaits and big jigs and plastics.
Lafayette wrote:Does it worth the money?
Full retail price, not imo. For that kinda money, Id get a custom built. If you can find a deal on one tho, absolutely.
Lafayette wrote:What about the balance of the rod? I can't stand when a rod is tip heavy? It seems to me that the handle is a bit short considering the rod lenght, is it just an impression?
it weighs around 5.2oz, without a reel, the balance point is 5 or so inches above the locking nut. I wouldn't say it's particularly tip heavy.
Lafayette wrote:What about the casting distance with 1/2 oz frogs?
I can bomb a 1/2oz frog as far as needed paired with a Zillion JDream and 60lb braid.
If you love frog fishing, i think you'll enjoy this rod.
Lafayette wrote:....
Any comments will be welcome before I burn my visa card :big grin:

Thanks in advance

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:18 am

Thanks pabass, pleased to read your feedback even if my steez xbd rod is already ordered.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:32 am

PaBass75 wrote:I've got two XBD frog rods..
One purchased shortly after release, the second bought this summer.
The handle lengths are identical on both rods.. The only similar Steez with a longer handle is the swimbait rod.
the one I had (had because fedex broke it during shipping) was for sure the XBD and for sure had a longer handle....maybe it was a prototype...

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:27 pm

I have received my steez frog rod, not fished with it yet just done a few casts.

This rod is just impressive, will be hard to wait for the spring to cast some frogs.

Thanks again for your advices.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:53 am

I took my first frog fishs with my steez.

Very happy with this rod, light, strong, perfect lenght and action for frog fishing. A bit expensive but it s clearly a perfect and beautiful tool, I definitely not regret my choice.

Thanks again for your advices.

Just sorry because I am not able to post the pictures of my fishs.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 am

I don't think you'll be sorry. I have one and love it however a zillion would probably be just as good since sensitivity is not a factor here.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:24 am

M Perry wrote:I appreciate getting the chance to share what I know. As I told the OP via a PM the SVF is used on both rods but they are not the same blank. The way they are built as well as material used is similar but they are 2 different blanks. Obviously with the price differences you will see different components as well. I cannot share a lot of the proprietary info/processes respectfully but want to stress they are different blanks.

All that being said Daiwa has done a great job redesigning the Zillion rod lineup. Lots of time and thought went into it with a lot of input from staff using them in the field and making suggestions. They will be an improvement over what we had in the past though the first generation Zillion rods were very nice.

I also want to be honest and say the Steez is definitely in a class by itself and that is intended. The Steez lineup is pretty well the pinnacle in terms of material and performance. That lineup is designed to be upper echelon of Daiwa gear so to speak. Daiwa does a good job at what I call "stairstepping" their lineups. Even the rods on the lower end of the cost spectrum are great performers but as you step up you keep getting more features and even better performance. While most anglers would be happy and could get the job done with the rest of the lineups it all comes together when you get to the Steez total package wise.

One last thing that I see and hear at shows etc is the worry about how well a higher end rod like the Steez holds up to frog fishing which is pretty taxing on the gear. The rods are remarkably durable and can handle about anything a bass can throw at it. By taking basic care in stowing and storing as well as transporting the rods will increase lifespan and performance of that rod. They are built to use and use heavily so no worries in that regard.

Hope this helped a bit and as always I will be more than happy to pass on any questions or concerns I cannot answer to Daiwa. Always feel free to contact them directly as well. I hope the OP loves the rod he ends up buying and gets many fish on it. Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
How do the new Zillion frog rods compare to the old Daiwa Light and Tough Frog rod?

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:05 am

I have some nice pictures of big pikes caught while frogfishing with my steez, would like to share with you, is there an easy way to post pictures?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:06 am