STEEZ XBD FROG ROD : Your feedback?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

STEEZ XBD FROG ROD : Your feedback?

Post by Lafayette » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi

I am very closed to buy these rod despite her price tag... We have only one life and I am a frog fishing addict... ;)

I have read the tackletour review which is more than positive but I would like to have some users feedback.

Could the owners of this rod tell me their opinion? Does it worth the money?

What about the balance of the rod? I can't stand when a rod is tip heavy? It seems to me that the handle is a bit short considering the rod lenght, is it just an impression?

What about the casting distance with 1/2 oz frogs?

Any comments will be welcome before I burn my visa card :big grin:

Thanks in advance

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: STEEZ XBD FROG ROD : Your feedback?

Post by steve1206 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:33 am

I'll preface this by saying in not a hard core frogger, based on where I fish, but I own this rod and I've used it more than any other frog rod I've ever owned. Balanace is fine as I've most often paired it with a zillion Type-R. If you are fishing slop and open water casting this rod is awesome. It's power is perfect for dragging and pulling fish out of slop. It also doubles as a great punching rod...again the power is great for hoisting fish out of cover. Casting is just fine with a frog...all that being said if you are looking for a rod to skip a frog around hard cover, or under overhanging trees, with accuracy at a premium, it's likely not the rod for you. "Worth it" is always subjective...there is always a cheaper tool for the job...but if your looking for a really good, all around "slop rod", this is a great one.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:32 am

just throwing this out there but why not just get the zillion frog rod...u'll get the longer handle length with the same svf blank. i sold both my steez rods because i felt they did not perform at their price points.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:41 am

Thanks Steeve for your very informative feedback.

Thanks Chode, in fact I have also considered the new zillion frog which seems to be a valuable and cheaper alternative to the steez.
But it s a new rod and I did not t find any review of it.
Are you sure it s the same blank? Have you try this rod?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:24 am

Lafayette wrote:Thanks Steeve for your very informative feedback.

Thanks Chode, in fact I have also considered the new zillion frog which seems to be a valuable and cheaper alternative to the steez.
But it s a new rod and I did not t find any review of it.
Are you sure it s the same blank? Have you try this rod?
see if u can send a PM to m perry (mark perry), he's a direct rep for Daiwa on this forum as well BBC. to me at least, he's very unbiased and assured me that the svf technology is the same on the tatula zillion and steez. I know for a fact that the zillion and tatula possess the exact same unsanded blank but having used the steez, it's def not exactly the same but perhaps the same svf tech used on each blank make them feel the same if that makes sense.

i've never used the frog rod in any of those lineups. only used the 7'MH svf & 7'M flexlite steez, new and old 7'M zillion worm rod (2014 model is one of my absolute favorite rods), 7'M, 7'2H, and 6'10MH (my most versatile) tatula. I'll prob be getting the zillion frog rod sometime down the line; perhaps black fri

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am

I suggest you buy it, if you can afford it go ahead, because frogging is your business and there is always that missing satisfaction in your head to try it if you did not buy it.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:09 pm

OK thanks again.

Chode, I will send an email to Mark to try to know more about new zillion blank.

Daiwa lunatic, you are like a little red devil on my left shoulder who would tell me "do it, do it..." :lol:
You seems to know very well fishermen brain process ;)

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:00 am

Just trying to be the Bait Monkey here and bring you to the dark side :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:48 am

daiwa lunatic wrote:Just trying to be the Bait Monkey here and bring you to the dark side :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha I've fallen into that trap too many times.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:51 am

I appreciate getting the chance to share what I know. As I told the OP via a PM the SVF is used on both rods but they are not the same blank. The way they are built as well as material used is similar but they are 2 different blanks. Obviously with the price differences you will see different components as well. I cannot share a lot of the proprietary info/processes respectfully but want to stress they are different blanks.

All that being said Daiwa has done a great job redesigning the Zillion rod lineup. Lots of time and thought went into it with a lot of input from staff using them in the field and making suggestions. They will be an improvement over what we had in the past though the first generation Zillion rods were very nice.

I also want to be honest and say the Steez is definitely in a class by itself and that is intended. The Steez lineup is pretty well the pinnacle in terms of material and performance. That lineup is designed to be upper echelon of Daiwa gear so to speak. Daiwa does a good job at what I call "stairstepping" their lineups. Even the rods on the lower end of the cost spectrum are great performers but as you step up you keep getting more features and even better performance. While most anglers would be happy and could get the job done with the rest of the lineups it all comes together when you get to the Steez total package wise.

One last thing that I see and hear at shows etc is the worry about how well a higher end rod like the Steez holds up to frog fishing which is pretty taxing on the gear. The rods are remarkably durable and can handle about anything a bass can throw at it. By taking basic care in stowing and storing as well as transporting the rods will increase lifespan and performance of that rod. They are built to use and use heavily so no worries in that regard.

Hope this helped a bit and as always I will be more than happy to pass on any questions or concerns I cannot answer to Daiwa. Always feel free to contact them directly as well. I hope the OP loves the rod he ends up buying and gets many fish on it. Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Thank you Mark for your very detailled reply.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 pm

The steez frog rod have been ordered. ;)

I should received the rod in two or three weeks, I will give you my feedback and maybe post some pictures of french fishs.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You have finally succomb the power of the Dark Side, The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.

Congrats =D> =D> =D>

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:47 pm

let us know how u like the rod once u get it out on the water

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:13 am

I will for sure ;)

Christmas is not a good period for largemouth and froggin in the south west of France but I will try to find some pikes to play with.