KLX vs Tatula

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jcat
Angler
Angler

KLX vs Tatula

Post by jcat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:03 pm

From the reviews I read it seems the tatula is perhaps more sensitive than an equivalent KLX. My KLX is one of the buzz/chatter rods and I am amazed at what I can feel with it. I am looking for a new rod for mostly texas rigged worms with 1/4 oz weights. Had planned to get an approx 7 ft KLX, but now I am in doubt. Does anyone have both to compare the sensitivity. Thanks

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: KLX vs Tatula

Post by Chode » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:03 am

i have 3 tatula rods and while i use them mostly for reaction baits, i have used the 7'2 h for some wacky rigging senkos and 1/2 jigs and they're plenty sensitive. i used to have the steez 7'mh and like what the tatula tt review said, the rods fish VERY similar in senisitivity. i sold the steez cause imho a $500 rod should never ever fish that similar to a $150 one. the feeling should be night and day. with that said, it does say a lot about the tatula line.

my impression of the klx is that it's the real deal. the blank def feels "lively". is it more sensitive than the tatula? i haven't fished them side by side enough to conclusively say yes or no but i've been more than impressed with the weight, balance, and sensitivity of both rods. will u have problems detecting those subtle bites? absolutely not. r they in the same class as the glx? no BUT i do feel that they're in similar company to the dx. i'm one of the few on this forum that feel the dx line is overrated in general. i'm not saying they're better than the dx. just saying they're in similar company.

Since ur asking about sensitivity, to give u a general perspective of where i'm coming from, i've used/tested a few rods since sensitivity is paramount: dobyns dx, phenix umbx, glx 803bcr, steez, helium 3, klx, noirwood, xx perfect pitch, zillion, tatula, envy (just bought this so don't know yet), omen, fenwick smallmouth, falcon cara, vendetta and orginal carrot stix

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:00 pm

I've had a gen 1 Zillion and a Klx. The Klx felt better, no question.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:56 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I've had a gen 1 Zillion and a Klx. The Klx felt better, no question.
i agree...compared to the old zillion, i think the klx is def more responsive but not so sure on the newer 2014 blanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 am

Well technically speaking the Klx has a pretty minimalist build on what should be a more sensitive blank.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:03 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Well technically speaking the Klx has a pretty minimalist build on what should be a more sensitive blank.
what do u consider minimal that u feel the zillion has in excess?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Chode wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Well technically speaking the Klx has a pretty minimalist build on what should be a more sensitive blank.
A little more excessive in the way of trim pieces, graphics/thread with clear coat covering both, larger guides, and the entire blank is coated.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Chode wrote:
A little more excessive in the way of trim pieces, graphics/thread with clear coat covering both, larger guides, and the entire blank is coated.
not sure if the way they wrap the guides will hinder or enhance sensitivity but isn't the difference in blank merely sanded vs unsanded? as to which one creates more feel i don't know either haha. not a rod builder but would love to hear from one

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:14 am

It's all uneccassry weight imo. More decals, thread wraps all require more finish over the top of them. Sanded or not plays a very small part in the blank.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:It's all uneccassry weight imo. More decals, thread wraps all require more finish over the top of them. Sanded or not plays a very small part in the blank.
funny u say that cause both my zillion and tatula rods feel lighter and more balanced than the klx even though it weighs in at 3.9oz according to kistler's website but then again it's not a fair comparison since my klx is 7'3 and both my daiwa's r 7'