New fenwick Bass rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New fenwick Bass rods

Post by angry john » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Anyone using one of the new fenwick bass rods? I had one of the 6'3" small mouth spinning rods that i sold off when i picked up a 7' lamiglas excel spinning rod and the lami was great until i broke it. I loved the handle on the fenwick and the new rods look very nice. I picked up the 6'10" medium light extra fast for weightless 4" worms and dropshot. Any feedback out there?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New fenwick Bass rods

Post by smalljaw » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:31 am

I have a 6'9" medium extra fast spinning in the smallmouth series, when I inquired about the new rods they told me they will have similar feel to the smallmouth rods but the rods are a little more responsive. If that is true then the rod should be exceptional as my smallmouth series is my favorite spinning rod. I have an Aetos spinning rod and the sensitivity and overall feel is great but I like the 6'9" length and the hidden handle reel seat is flat out comfortable, very hard to put down when using it for an extended period.

NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorthernStrain » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:11 am

I got one of the new bass rods after breaking my elite tech smallmouth. I got the 6'9 medium mod/fast spinning. It feels a little heavier than the smallmouth was, I had the 6'9 medium spinning. But still not a heavy rod by any means. It seems to be just as sensitive, maybe a little more so, than the smallmouth. Despite what it says, the tapers seem to be about the same. I'd say both of the rods have a mod/fast taper, which I like. The bass rod seems to be a touch more powerful than the smallmouth, I'd say more of a true medium power, but still does very well with light presentations. In the couple weeks I've had it I've caught smallmouth up to 4 pounds and pike up to ten pounds with no problem. Overall I'm happy with it and I think it's a great rod.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:27 pm

I wonder if Fenwick is using a little more fiberglass in the scrim? The last series of smallmouth rods were exceptionally light, but brittle.

oe

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:46 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:I wonder if Fenwick is using a little more fiberglass in the scrim? The last series of smallmouth rods were exceptionally light, but brittle.

oe
More fiberglass would make it heavier, and what do you mean brittle? I haven't had any breakage except for threads on a reel seat which was taken care of but blanks have been great.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:25 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:I wonder if Fenwick is using a little more fiberglass in the scrim? The last series of smallmouth rods were exceptionally light, but brittle.

oe
The Elite Tech Smallmouth series of rods are far from brittle. I have had both of mine for several years of good use with not a single issue. This is the first time I have heard them mentioned as brittle...

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:28 am

My ET SM is my backup dropshot/loaner rod and its taken the abuse.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:00 am

NorthernStrain wrote:It feels a little heavier than the smallmouth was,

So what are other thoughts as to why the re-work of these rods?

oe

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:09 pm

People complained about the short cork below the reel seat. These appear to be longer. Eva likely saved Fenwick a few bucks as well.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:20 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:So what are other thoughts as to why the re-work of these rods?
my theory is that "smallmouth" sounded too limiting. a new series called "bass" encompasses largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, et al and appeals to a broader market. the new series includes longer and more powerful models also to appeal to more anglers. one trend that i've been seeing in rods in general are skinnier and skinnier handles (which i personally hate)...the new bass series handles look like they were put on a diet as well.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:33 pm

I hate how small and short handles have become. I will not get a casting rod for that reason.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 pm

first trip out and i have to say that so far i like this rod a lot. It says extra fast but it acts a lot like the normal fast rods that i have and a lot like the excel 702 that i had before. The handle is comfy and the carbon rings are a little over the top IMO but they do nothing so not a big deal. I used this rod today to toss weightless 4" Big Bite Baits Dean Rojas - Cane Stick Worms on a 1/0 weedless gamy wacky hook. It handled the worms and did a great job with driving the hook in deep. I plan on this being my all around spinning rod for the yak, i will provide more feedback when i have more water time.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 pm

angry john wrote:first trip out and i have to say that so far i like this rod a lot. It says extra fast but it acts a lot like the normal fast rods that i have and a lot like the excel 702 that i had before. The handle is comfy and the carbon rings are a little over the top IMO but they do nothing so not a big deal. I used this rod today to toss weightless 4" Big Bite Baits Dean Rojas - Cane Stick Worms on a 1/0 weedless gamy wacky hook. It handled the worms and did a great job with driving the hook in deep. I plan on this being my all around spinning rod for the yak, i will provide more feedback when i have more water time.
I was wondering if it could be used as an all purpose (finesse) spinning rod but having heard of it being a dedicated drop shot rod made me wonder if the tip was too soft for anything else. Thanks for that review.