Type of breakage

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Type of breakage

Post by SWH » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:29 pm

What type of breakage does a clean break as opposed to one with fibers hanging out constitute? Just snapped my Super Red Demon and it almost looks like it was cut - nice and clean.

On a side note: How do I remove the epoxy to salvage the guides?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Type of breakage

Post by lpquick » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 pm

IMO clean break like that means the rod was damaged some how. Doesn't sound like a warranty issue.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:09 am

The 2 times my rod broke it was a clean break (broke casting light t rig). They were replaced under warranty with no questions because they said these types of breaks indicate a defect. I think if it is a break with fibers hanging, then it is from improper use and not a warranty issue.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 am

SWH wrote: What type of breakage does a clean break as opposed to one with fibers hanging out constitute? Just snapped my Super Red Demon and it almost looks like it was cut - nice and clean.
How old is the rod and how much has it been used?

Much like glass or acrylic, a score in the material will allow it to snap clean. More times than not, a clean break indicates damage to me. This isn't hard and fast though.

The longer a rod has been used, the less likely it is that a defect caused the break. True defects generally show themselves in the first few outings with the rod.

SWH wrote:
I wouldn't remove anything until you're confident you don't have a warranty claim.

When I remove guides, I heat them and use an X-Acto knife to remove the thread and epoxy. With the wrap heated I lay the knife flat against the wrap at the tip of the foot and slice up the length of the foot to the leg. The guide then rolls right out of the wrap. Takes seconds to do.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:01 am

Mattman wrote:
SWH wrote: What type of breakage does a clean break as opposed to one with fibers hanging out constitute? Just snapped my Super Red Demon and it almost looks like it was cut - nice and clean.
How old is the rod and how much has it been used?

Much like glass or acrylic, a score in the material will allow it to snap clean. More times than not, a clean break indicates damage to me. This isn't hard and fast though.

The longer a rod has been used, the less likely it is that a defect caused the break. True defects generally show themselves in the first few outings with the rod.

SWH wrote:
I wouldn't remove anything until you're confident you don't have a warranty claim.

When I remove guides, I heat them and use an X-Acto knife to remove the thread and epoxy. With the wrap heated I lay the knife flat against the wrap at the tip of the foot and slice up the length of the foot to the leg. The guide then rolls right out of the wrap. Takes seconds to do.
Thanks.

The rod has been used a fair bit with heavy baits as well, so I will credit it to some kind of misuse on my part.. :)

Do you heat the epoxy with a lighter or hairdryer?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:21 am

SWH wrote:

Do you heat the epoxy with a lighter or hairdryer?

I use an alcohol torch. You can get very pinpoint with that in comparison.

Without that, I'd use a heat gun or a hair dryer.