No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 am

karirick wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:a good company meets the needs of their customers, not just their pocket books.

after being told over and over that Shimano is unable to deliver on left handed reel customer needs, now making their warranty on new rods the worst in the business, my decision regarding future shimano products is clear.

I own 39 shimano rods and 36 shimano reels, but it's time for a change.

Pics please Steve :) All this negativity is not good, I thought I had a lot of Shimloomis rods/reels. I have like 24 total. Do you have low to high end? Ever have a warranty issue in all these years? I have not, but liked the thought of the great warranty. Thanks.

Rick
Have I had warranty issues? certainly. I fish 12 months a year for just about every species of fresh water fish that exists. I"ve broke Compre's, Crucials, Clarus's, GL3, IMX's, GLX's, and NRX's. Telora's as well.

My Shimano Rods range from bass rods, to salmon rods, to trout rods, and everything in between (and I do include Loomis with my Shimano numbers I should clarify). They range from lowest quality would be my 8 nine foot clarus rods (all matched with tekota reels) to I guess my set of NRX rods.

When fishing Bay of Quinte in December in sub 30 temperatures for trophy walleye, things break. That's why I always bought Shimano.

When I started fishing baitcasting rods/reels, Shimano was my go-to. Bantam Curado's, then Bantam Super Free's, then finally Curado D's, I was loving life. All available in low gear ratio left handed reels. And they released left handed reels at the same time as right handed reels...not 6 months later....if your lucky.

Now I'm told this reel doesn't sell enough (left handed curado's), or this rod doesn't sell enough (7'10" MH compre trolling rods)...its always about their profit right now.....

Well, we are now in a time when more manufacturer's are entering the market place....rods and reels....

And that's a good thing, cause Shimano's market share will continue to decrease if they continue to make decisions that only pad their pocket books.

This thread contains an older list of mine (31 shimano/loomis rods at that time) with a link to a photo, in case your curious :)

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 5&start=60

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:00 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
karirick wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:a good company meets the needs of their customers, not just their pocket books.

after being told over and over that Shimano is unable to deliver on left handed reel customer needs, now making their warranty on new rods the worst in the business, my decision regarding future shimano products is clear.

I own 39 shimano rods and 36 shimano reels, but it's time for a change.

Pics please Steve :) All this negativity is not good, I thought I had a lot of Shimloomis rods/reels. I have like 24 total. Do you have low to high end? Ever have a warranty issue in all these years? I have not, but liked the thought of the great warranty. Thanks.

Rick
Have I had warranty issues? certainly. I fish 12 months a year for just about every species of fresh water fish that exists. I"ve broke Compre's, Crucials, Clarus's, GL3, IMX's, GLX's, and NRX's. Telora's as well.

My Shimano Rods range from bass rods, to salmon rods, to trout rods, and everything in between (and I do include Loomis with my Shimano numbers I should clarify). They range from lowest quality would be my 8 nine foot clarus rods (all matched with tekota reels) to I guess my set of NRX rods.

When fishing Bay of Quinte in December in sub 30 temperatures for trophy walleye, things break. That's why I always bought Shimano.

When I started fishing baitcasting rods/reels, Shimano was my go-to. Bantam Curado's, then Bantam Super Free's, then finally Curado D's, I was loving life. All available in low gear ratio left handed reels. And they released left handed reels at the same time as right handed reels...not 6 months later....if your lucky.

Now I'm told this reel doesn't sell enough (left handed curado's), or this rod doesn't sell enough (7'10" MH compre trolling rods)...its always about their profit right now.....

Well, we are now in a time when more manufacturer's are entering the market place....rods and reels....

And that's a good thing, cause Shimano's market share will continue to decrease if they continue to make decisions that only pad their pocket books.

This thread contains an older list of mine (31 shimano/loomis rods at that time) with a link to a photo, in case your curious :)

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 5&start=60
AWESOME.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 am

JerryC wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:The new model rods will be covered by a one year warranty. We still have existing rods in the market with the lifetime warranty cards attached to the handle. These will be covered by the lifetime warranty. As new rods enter the market they will have the 1 year warranty cards attached.

The over the counter replacement program has gone away. There were several rods being replaced that were not warranty failures. In order to eliminate this we have taken warranty back in house. The rods will need to be sent in for warranty evaluation.

The official start date is August 1, 2014. The over the counter policy started on July 15, 2014. I apologize as I was at ICAST and had a lap top failure. I was not able to post anything during that time.

The quality of the rods will not suffer with the warranty changes. As most of us know a true bad rod will fail within the first few uses. If a rod fails 2,3,5 years later the chances are the blank was damaged at some point. There is also a misconception that the lifetime warranty covers the rod against everything. It covers the rod against material and manufacturer defects only.
Hey Bantam, i recieved my new Adrena casting rod yesterday from Shimano direct, a replacement from my broken Cumulus rod. It did not come with a 1 year warranty card attached to the guides, just 2 cards, 1 about the SiC guides and the other was a long black one i believe about the spiral wrapping on the rod or something like that. What should i do since it didnt come with teh 1 year warranty card?

First you got lucky receiving the Adrena rod as a replacement. It was supposed to be an Expride. The warranty on the Adrena and Expride is one year.

All rods going forward will be covered by a one year warranty. There are some current, or recently discontinued rods, on the market that will be covered by the lifetime warranty. These are on dealer racks. If the rod you purchased has the lifetime warranty card, it will be honored. Once the replacement has been issued (if the rod was deemed a warranty failure) the new rod will be covered by a one year warranty.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 am

After buying numerous crucial rods ..only to realize they aren't as good as there competition I was still happy with my purchase due to the warranty. ... doubt any new additions to my rod collection will say shimano. .... but never say never.....

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm

I'll admit I was initially disappointed to hear this news, granted I've only ever had one Shimano rod break and that broke before I even got the chance to fish it. So I agree wholeheartedly with the premise that if the rod has a manufacturing defect it will show itself within that first year but, there was just something about that "lifetime warranty" that just made me feel different/better about my rods.

Having said all that I understand how the world works and how businesses operate so I get on with life. Also I'm very excited actually about the new Crucials and can't wait to pick up a few, I'm planning to start with the 7'3" H.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Good thing daiwa still offer lifetime warranty

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 pm

People who have an issue with this have a great way to complain, seriously...whine about making Shimano lower prices now that they are effectively cheaper for Shimano to sell, and stay away from any brand advertising lifetime warranties. Because you are paying for them to proudly claim that, and you are getting suckered.

It's pretty straightforward, as others have noted. A manufacturer defect will be exposed pretty soon, assuming you actually fish the rod. It's unrealistic for any company to sell a rod, hard drive, shelving system, or sexy jeans for 200 bucks and be accountable to replace it five years from now. It does not matter if they "set the expectation" historically. Our drunk high sticking buddies have changed the world as much as the manufacturers have.

So send bantam lots of PMs about why a stateside expride is ridic expensive when the warranty exposure has been effectively eliminated. Start there, he loves those. :lol: Then never buy at list because it's morally offensive,'which it just might be. Get all public demonstration with it. And then spend your free time trying to return a 15 year old CRT television to Best Buy.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Chode wrote:Good thing daiwa still offer lifetime warranty
So my Tatula rod has a lifetime warranty?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

WoodT wrote:It does not matter if they "set the expectation" historically.
Yes, it does. Maybe not to you, but it is the manufacturers that set this expectation level, not the buyers.
Our drunk high sticking buddies have changed the world as much as the manufacturers have.
I don't have any such buddies.
And then spend your free time trying to return a 15 year old CRT television to Best Buy.
If they sold it to me with a lifetime warranty, I would do just that.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Chode wrote:Good thing daiwa still offer lifetime warranty
So my Tatula rod has a lifetime warranty?
steez n zillion has lifetime...tatula has 5yr which is still better than 1

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 am

WoodT wrote: So send bantam lots of PMs about why a stateside expride is ridic expensive when the warranty exposure has been effectively eliminated. Start there, he loves those. :lol:
You can send me PM's and I will respond to your questions and concerns. I am not in a position to make changes to our policy. I can only relay the information which happens more than you realize.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am

Bantam1 wrote:
WoodT wrote: So send bantam lots of PMs about why a stateside expride is ridic expensive when the warranty exposure has been effectively eliminated. Start there, he loves those. :lol:
You can send me PM's and I will respond to your questions and concerns. I am not in a position to make changes to our policy. I can only relay the information which happens more than you realize.
It was a joke! :lol: And I've never sent you a PM about an Expride. I don't have any concerns with the change in policy and am surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Shimano4Life, Bantam (except for some of my Daiwa stuff :lol:)

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 am

jeb wrote:
WoodT wrote:It does not matter if they "set the expectation" historically.
Yes, it does. Maybe not to you, but it is the manufacturers that set this expectation level, not the buyers.
Our drunk high sticking buddies have changed the world as much as the manufacturers have.
I don't have any such buddies.
And then spend your free time trying to return a 15 year old CRT television to Best Buy.
If they sold it to me with a lifetime warranty, I would do just that.
Jeb, you've railed on Shimano practices and quality for all the years I've been visiting TT. NRX quality, Wild Cards, why your NRXs can't handle 1 oz Carolina weights whacking them over and over, this change to the lifetime policy, etc. I don't understand why you've simply not walked away from the brand. Consumer and manufacturer expectations have always changed over time, in any industry, and ultimately you have to walk with your checkbook if it doesn't work out for you. An internet forum catering to 1% (at best) won't affect much change at all. Hit the Dobyns, Diawa, 13 Fishing lines hard...whoever you think will be with you when a rod fails 10 years from now...and you will be way less stressed.

ecpirates96
Angler
Angler

Post by ecpirates96 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 am

I love my rods and will most likely continue to buy the models I like. I heard about them discontinuing the warranty a couple of weeks ago but have not had any issues to date. I also have several TFO rods with the lifetime warranty and all they ask is $35 and ship it back. No issues there either. Don't get so hung up on warrany. Yeti coolers are only 5 years and Orca is lifetime. What do you own?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 am

WoodT wrote:Jeb, you've railed on Shimano practices and quality for all the years I've been visiting TT. NRX quality, Wild Cards, why your NRXs can't handle 1 oz Carolina weights whacking them over and over, this change to the lifetime policy, etc. I don't understand why you've simply not walked away from the brand. Consumer and manufacturer expectations have always changed over time, in any industry, and ultimately you have to walk with your checkbook if it doesn't work out for you. An internet forum catering to 1% (at best) won't affect much change at all. Hit the Dobyns, Diawa, 13 Fishing lines hard...whoever you think will be with you when a rod fails 10 years from now...and you will be way less stressed.
I believe giving my real world experiences benefits other potential buyers of tackle, which is kind of the idea behind this website, after all.

At any rate, you badly misinterpret my stress level.