Anybody make any regretful purchases?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Anybody make any regretful purchases?

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:20 am

When I was working for Cabela's they introduced the Prodigy rod. I thought that it felt great so I bought 4 right off the bat. In store they seemed like a no-brainer but on the water the seemed like the guys who designed them were NO-brainers. Even with the discount that was about $320 wasted dollars on 4 rods. :-({|= Any of you make any similar decisions over the course of your fishing years?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anybody make any regretful purchases?

Post by steve1206 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:51 am

The list is long...but its not necessarily bad products that I bought...It had always been buying too many things (usually reels), not fitting them into the arsenal, and then selling them, in the same condition I bought them for, for less money than I paid...Many a member on here has benefitted from that scenario...but I know I'm not the only one...Its been a reciprocal relationship with TT members...

TDZs, Steez, Zillions, CQ50, ITO 2506, Pixy, Calcutta DCs, MGX, Megabass F3-610DGS, Antares DC, many a GLX, some NRXs, and the list goes on and on..

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:07 am

Let me say im new to fishing and ignorant on many levels. Lol... I recently went into a local shop and purchased a flipping setup .... ended up walking out with a t3 ballistic and a lews hm85 rod.... later that month I see t3 ballistics for 109 on clearance (all be it I got the 8:1 with the red spool and nicer handles) and come to find the rod is a swimbait rod and 19" handles are horrible for flipping.. now i have a like brand new rod for wall decoration and a reel I like... but think to myself I over paid every time I look at it. ... so many lessons learned from that. ..lol

dux
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dux » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:19 am

I can eliminate many "regretable" purchases, simply by asking member opinions on fishing forums.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:37 am

G. Loomis GL2 784CBR has so far been the only rod I regret buying. I sold it after a season.

I bought it for jerkbaits as an "affordable" offering and found it a little underpowered for my liking. I know crankbait rods are supposed to be that way, but I was expecting a little more backbone. I know people who love these rods, but I will never touch another one again!!!

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:56 am

I usually do a couple of weeks of research before any purchases. Im one of those guys that tends to over think very purchase I make, even what kind of gum im going to buy, so I hardly ever regret getting what I get. I do however often play the "what if" game and wonder about things I've passed on.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 am

Too many to name, Thankfully the Fed keeps printing more money. :lol:

Steez 6'7" SVF @ $400 was a real disappointment for me.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:20 am

USA-RET wrote:Too many to name, Thankfully the Fed keeps printing more money. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ](*,)

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:47 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:I usually do a couple of weeks of research before any purchases. Im one of those guys that tends to over think very purchase I make, even what kind of gum im going to buy, so I hardly ever regret getting what I get. I do however often play the "what if" game and wonder about things I've passed on.

I completely relate.... only been a few times I did not follow this... read above post....lol... its better to be sure

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm

steve1206 wrote:The list is long...but its not necessarily bad products that I bought...It had always been buying too many things (usually reels), not fitting them into the arsenal, and then selling them, in the same condition I bought them for, for less money than I paid...Many a member on here has benefitted from that scenario...but I know I'm not the only one...Its been a reciprocal relationship with TT members...

TDZs, Steez, Zillions, CQ50, ITO 2506, Pixy, Calcutta DCs, MGX, Megabass F3-610DGS, Antares DC, many a GLX, some NRXs, and the list goes on and on..
Which NRXs?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:25 pm

I regret every Quantum spinning reel I ever bought. Kept thinking the next one would be better. :roll: They were all junk. :(
Lesson learned.

Oops.Just noticed this is the rods forum. :oops: The above still stands though :lol:

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:14 pm

steve1206 wrote:The list is long...but its not necessarily bad products that I bought...It had always been buying too many things (usually reels), not fitting them into the arsenal, and then selling them, in the same condition I bought them for, for less money than I paid...Many a member on here has benefitted from that scenario...but I know I'm not the only one...Its been a reciprocal relationship with TT members...

Same goes for me man. Many a TT member has purchased a 10/10 rod and/or reel from me for way less than retail.

My regret can be summed up in the fact I didn't just buy top of the line from the start. I'm positive that I have lost 1000's of dollars in the last 10 years by starting with Shimano Sahara's and Daiwa Spinmatic's and ending up with Stella and Steez etc. The fact that I fish more in the house than on the water only feeds my obsession......

However, if the worst regrets I have in life are rod/reel purchases it will have been a very, very good ride fellas.......

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Dobyns Rods - mediocre @ best.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Mothra wrote:

Which NRXs?
I've sold an 854, 895, and 852s on here

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:58 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:Dobyns Rods - mediocre @ best.
=D>

Couldn't agree more