Which graphite cranking rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which graphite cranking rod?

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:40 am

I seem to do better casting a graphite cranking rod than the more whippy composite ones. I have a Kister KLX rod I have been using that works good but I am not such a fan of the micro guides and the shorter handle. What do you think of the following 3 I am thinking about, I want a full grip that isn't too short. Will be casting mostly 1/4 to 3/8 crank baits shallow and medium diving. Occasionally a little heavier.

Daiwa Tatula 7" Med Lt

Falcon Cara T7 7" Med

Megabass Orachi XX 7" Med flat side special

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which graphite cranking rod?

Post by Chode » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 am

easy choice...tatula

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm

How long of a handle do you want? If you have the 7' KLX crank/rip/twitch, the handle is already 10" long. Anything longer is too long. The specific Tatula rod you mentioned has an even shorter handle at roughly 8.5". If you find the guides on the KLX to small, you're not going to like the XX. If I had to guess I would say the majority of the guides on the KLX are size 4.5. The majority of the guides on the XX may be a very slight touch bigger, like a size 5.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm

The Kistler rod I have been using is the finesse worm tube jig micro model. I know its not a "cranking" rod but it has a soft enough tip and moderate enough action to get bye. But It only has an 8" handle and is the micro guide model.

I like at least about a 9.5" handle. Does the Falcon Cara have that?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:20 pm

The Falcon Cara rods have really nice blanks, but I don't care for the build design myself. If you like that style, I would look into a Loomis crankbait rod myself.
If you're not dead set on a full handle, Powell makes some nice graphite cranking rods in the Max and Endurance line. They also use a guide train that is really right between the guides on the KLX and the typical size you find on most rods that don't utilize micros. Another rod that fits that bill is the Dobyns Champion graphite cranking rods.
Any rod that is seven foot or longer built for cranking will have a handle that measures nine to ten inches in length.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:24 am

yeah, as hogsticker said, that tatula rod's handle is really short and the XX guides are pretty small. why not a dobyns 704cb?

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:22 am

I would rather use a graphite than glass rod, I have trouble casting the more wippy rods as accurately and allot of my cranking is to tight windows in shallower water and I seem to be able to do that better with a graphite rods. Is the cara 7" medium sutible for cranking?

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:26 am

hungry_cow wrote:I would rather use a graphite than glass rod, I have trouble casting the more wippy rods as accurately and allot of my cranking is to tight windows in shallower water and I seem to be able to do that better with a graphite rods.
the 704cb is graphite...the 704cb glass is the one i think you were thinking of.

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 pm

The Tatula is an awesome crank bait rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:41 pm

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_C ... e-FCC.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_C ... -FCRC.html

Which model? There is the medium cranker, The Mansfield cast, and the composite cranker which I don't think you're interested in. I think you're after the 1st one I listed. It should fit the bill fine, but I have no idea how soft Falcon "soft" action rods are when compared to the typical moderate or moderate fast. Confused yet?? Just make sure you like and are comfortable with that Fuji ACS reel seat on the Falcon rods. I can't stand it myself.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 am

Yea, the first one I was thinking about. It's too bad there aren't any stores around me that carry any of these to check out because that is true just the rod comfort in the hand can be just as important as its action and quality.