megabass orochi xx vs orochi x4

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

megabass orochi xx vs orochi x4

Post by Canga- » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:32 am

ok, so this past winter i gave in and bought my first megabass, a drop shot special orochi xx. i bought the rod to sort of be an all around rod for lighter stuff, jig/grub, small cranks (shallow shad rap #5 & 7 mostly) and some other stuff occasionally. i love the rod, i havent done much bass fishing yet this year, but it has been fantastic for walleyes. it throws the shad raps better than i could have hoped for, and its very sensitive for jigs. in fact i like it so much that i will be getting another at some point.

my question is, is the x4 worth the extra cash over the xx? i have absolutely no problem getting another xx, but i will probably always wonder if the x4 is better, and if so by a significant ammount.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: megabass orochi xx vs orochi x4

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 pm

X4's are really designed more for moving baits. They tend to have a more moderate action than fast. The XX's are designed more for the traditional American bass angler who likes fast actions. I have the XX Shakey Head rod, XX Jig/Worm, X4 Destruction, X4 Black Elseil, X4 Rattle Viper Technical Game. All great rods and rank right up there with the best of them. The X4's can handle bottom fishing, but they really shine with moving bait techniques. It's hard to say if they are more sensitive or not IMO. I think that Gary over at the Tackle Trap probably does the best job in narrowing down what Megabass rods suit one's needs. He helped me with all my purchases.

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:22 am

Finnz922 is on the right track in saying that the X4 series as a whole tends to have more moderate tapers than the XX do. I personally prefer more moderate rods, even for baits requiring a hookset, so I tend to prefer how the X4 series fish. However, I would not relegate the X4 series as a strictly "moving bait" line of rods by any means, and I think Finnz922 summed that up well.

Now, one thing i have found with megabass rods is that there isn't really a set hierarchy between each series. In my hands, it is more how you want the rod to fish. For example, a X7 is not noticeably more sensitive than the Phase III, in my hands. Some great examples are the Phase III Eiger Northwall and the Super Eiger as well as the Phase III Bearing Down and the X7 Bearing Down Type X. While they have similar names, the X7 is not an upgraded version of the Phase III, but rather a rod that fishes completely different from the Phase III offering. This is particularly true with the Bearing Down and the Bearing Down Type X.

So, in determining whether the X4 is worth the extra cash over the XX, you really need to determine what you want to use the rod for and then go from there. I hope this helps!

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:04 am

I've had a couple of the X4 rods and I actually didn't care that much for them. My EMTF XX is a keeper though =D> It really comes down to personal preference and intended application.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:51 am

have both and i actually prefer the XX rods. I find the XX rods more balanced and prefer the cork.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:07 am

Love my XX EMTF. I have a BJ PV as well and it says it has a "regular" taper, whatever that is. It is a fast taper imo. A great rod for swimbaits, flipping, pitching, dragging footballs, and even cranks. I just ordered a XX Perfect Pitch from Gary, cant wait to use it for frogs, sammys, and pitching jigs.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:32 am

Teal101 wrote:Love my XX EMTF. I have a BJ PV as well and it says it has a "regular" taper, whatever that is. It is a fast taper imo. A great rod for swimbaits, flipping, pitching, dragging footballs, and even cranks. I just ordered a XX Perfect Pitch from Gary, cant wait to use it for frogs, sammys, and pitching jigs.

You may like the Perfect Pitch.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 am

Johnny A wrote:
Teal101 wrote:Love my XX EMTF. I have a BJ PV as well and it says it has a "regular" taper, whatever that is. It is a fast taper imo. A great rod for swimbaits, flipping, pitching, dragging footballs, and even cranks. I just ordered a XX Perfect Pitch from Gary, cant wait to use it for frogs, sammys, and pitching jigs.

You may like the Perfect Pitch.
I hope so! :mrgreen: