New shimano crucial info

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New shimano crucial info

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 am

Not sure whats wrong with uplocking reel seats....I have a bunch of new cumaras...all of which perform great...They aren't cumulous rods..but great sticks.

I prefer uplocking reel seets on both conventional and spinning. Thousands of casts with the new rods..never once an issue.

Where did this inside info come from that they are releasing a new crucial lineup???????

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Scoob im with you on uplocking seats. I love em, i hate seeing the thread on downlocking seats plus the threads rub on my index finger depending on how im holding the rod at the time and it can be uncomfortable.

Crucials have been on clearance at most retailers so thats usually a dead giveaway that new models are coming. I think the current line up is fine they just need to be balanced. It was a huge mistake on shimano for making all the handles the same length. My buddy picked up the 7'9" frog rod and that thing feels like its gonna break my wrist just holding it. It took a buttcap filled with 11 quarters to balance it.

Fix the balance Shimano ,!,!,!,!!

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:06 am

fishingman88 wrote:I still have a couple original cork Crucial rods and love them to death. Not sure what it is, but every time I try out one of the newer EVA foam Crucials, they just don't feel the same :(
It's a proven fact, cork transmits the feel from the blank better than that eva foam crap. I sold off all my first edition cumara sticks for some loomis because of this fact. I did enjoy fishing my older cork handled clarus though. I won't even consider sticks that use foam as a main component. I've been noticing in my wife's closet and at the malls that a ton of cork is suddenly being used in women's footwear. Like massively healed shoes made 90% from cork materials. I blame that for the price increase. I was walking by a women's shoe store the other day where over 80% of their inventory used cork in some way.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.01 KiB) Viewed 5786 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:28 am

joeyblackwood wrote:
fishingman88 wrote:I still have a couple original cork Crucial rods and love them to death. Not sure what it is, but every time I try out one of the newer EVA foam Crucials, they just don't feel the same :(
It's a proven fact, cork t7ransmits the feel from the blank better than that eva foam crap. I sold off all my first edition cumara sticks for some loomis because of this fact. I did enjoy fishing my older cork handled clarus though. I won't even consider sticks that use foam as a main component. I've been noticing in my wife's closet and at the malls that a ton of cork is suddenly being used in women's footwear. Like massively healed shoes made 90% from cork materials. I blame that for the price increase. I was walking by a women's shoe store the other day where over 80% of their inventory used cork in some way.
I would like to see this factual information please. Go ahead and post it right here. I'll be waiting.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:29 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
joeyblackwood wrote:
It's a proven fact, cork t7ransmits the feel from the blank better than that eva foam crap. I sold off all my first edition cumara sticks for some loomis because of this fact. I did enjoy fishing my older cork handled clarus though. I won't even consider sticks that use foam as a main component. I've been noticing in my wife's closet and at the malls that a ton of cork is suddenly being used in women's footwear. Like massively healed shoes made 90% from cork materials. I blame that for the price increase. I was walking by a women's shoe store the other day where over 80% of their inventory used cork in some way.
I would like to see this factual information please. Go ahead and post it right here. I'll be waiting.
From Gary Dobyns' own mouth:

. ..I could build lighter rods if that was all I was after. For example, I’m using a top quality high density cork that weighs 30% more than inferior handles. I chose to build a balanced rod that is very, very sensitive, and it feels very light.....

Only my swimbait rods have the EVA foam. It has become the standard for swimbait rods and that is what the swimbait gurus prefer, so my swimbait line has EVA grips. It’s not a sensitivity deal, actually foam is way less sensitive than cork. EVA foam is cheap—good cork handles are outrageously expensive—so a lot of the companies that are after a price point will have foam on the handles. I think cork is sharper looking and more sensitive, so I use it on everything except for the swimbait rods.
More on EVA's inferiority to cork: http://www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishi ... ug2009.htm

From veteran rod builders' forum:

...From my fishing experience foam tends to be less sensitive when compared to cork...

...My vote is cork. I think that cork is more sensitive....

.. Beyond cork being more sensitive, it is also lighter in weight...

I would take a veteran rodbuilders' remarks as fact, they are more expert in this than you or I. You can scoff at it, but THEY are the experts not you.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 am

joeyblackwood wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
joeyblackwood wrote:
From Gary Dobyns' own mouth:

. ..I could build lighter rods if that was all I was after. For example, I’m using a top quality high density cork that weighs 30% more than inferior handles. I chose to build a balanced rod that is very, very sensitive, and it feels very light.....

Only my swimbait rods have the EVA foam. It has become the standard for swimbait rods and that is what the swimbait gurus prefer, so my swimbait line has EVA grips. It’s not a sensitivity deal, actually foam is way less sensitive than cork. EVA foam is cheap—good cork handles are outrageously expensive—so a lot of the companies that are after a price point will have foam on the handles. I think cork is sharper looking and more sensitive, so I use it on everything except for the swimbait rods.
More on EVA's inferiority to cork: http://www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishi ... ug2009.htm

From veteran rod builders' forum:

...From my fishing experience foam tends to be less sensitive when compared to cork...

...My vote is cork. I think that cork is more sensitive....

.. Beyond cork being more sensitive, it is also lighter in weight...

I would take a veteran rodbuilders' remarks as fact, they are more expert in this than you or I. You can scoff at it, but THEY are the experts not you.
They are all opinions, not facts. I've not only spoke with rod builders that have been doing it for years, and have had some of them build rods for me. I'm sure if I took the time to search the subject on rod building forums I could find many differing opinions as well. The point being - They are all subjective. There is no scientific data that proves cork is more sensitive than EVA when utilized as a rod grip. Sorry. Any good rod builder will tell you that the rod handle grip plays a very small role in the sensitivity of a rod, with the build itself, guide size, quality, and placement playing a much larger part. Most of the folks that post on those rod building forums do it for fun just as I do. Does that make them or I an expert? Not so much.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:22 am

We'll just have to agree to disagree...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:45 am

joeyblackwood wrote:We'll just have to agree to disagree...
Fair enough

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 am

Today I talked to one of the "authorized" Shimano dealers from around this area. He said that the new Crucial rods will only come with a 1-year warranty, similar to the Poison Adrena and Expride. He says that Shimano is trying to do away with the limited lifetime warranty for their rods. If that's true, it's gonna be a major buzzkill.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 am

bassninja wrote:Today I talked to one of the "authorized" Shimano dealers from around this area. He said that the new Crucial rods will only come with a 1-year warranty, similar to the Poison Adrena and Expride. He says that Shimano is trying to do away with the limited lifetime warranty for their rods. If that's true, it's gonna be a major buzzkill.
That's like Oreo removing the creme from their cookies...sad day

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:22 am

joeyblackwood wrote:
bassninja wrote:Today I talked to one of the "authorized" Shimano dealers from around this area. He said that the new Crucial rods will only come with a 1-year warranty, similar to the Poison Adrena and Expride. He says that Shimano is trying to do away with the limited lifetime warranty for their rods. If that's true, it's gonna be a major buzzkill.
That's like Oreo removing the creme from their cookies...sad day
I couldn't agree more guys, I really can't see why they would do this. I know it's a "profit" boosting move but Shimano makes enough every year that they could continue to provide this service.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:27 am

If they change the warranty, it could either be a good thing or bad thing depending on which way they go with it. If they just pocket the difference, then poo on them. If they put the extra cash into better components or better blanks and sell a much higher performing rod at the lower price point, then I think it will be worth it. I've personally only used warranties on any brand of rod two times, and both were within the first few weeks of using them. After a year or two, I figure I got my monies worth on a rod in this price range.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:27 am

tywithay wrote:If they change the warranty, it could either be a good thing or bad thing depending on which way they go with it. If they just pocket the difference, then poo on them. If they put the extra cash into better components or better blanks and sell a much higher performing rod at the lower price point, then I think it will be worth it. I've personally only used warranties on any brand of rod two times, and both were within the first few weeks of using them. After a year or two, I figure I got my monies worth on a rod in this price range.
My thought on warranty's exactly. If it has not broke after a couple months worth of hard fishing its probly not gonna break unless I do something wrong. Id much rather see the extra cost going towords components/blank material than trying to cover there buts (but theres no guarantee there not just gonna pocket the extra "warranty" cost)

vsmpowered
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vsmpowered » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:25 pm

Bring cork handle crucial back

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:19 am

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 7'3" TC4 type of graphite / glass composite heavy action chatterbait rod.