Expride 7'1" Heavy casting - EX171H

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Expride 7'1" Heavy casting - EX171H

Post by civicrr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:59 am

Since fishingandfords wondered about my Expride experience in another thread and I didn't want to high jack that one anymore than I already did, I thought I'd post some initial thoughts about the rod.
fishingandfords wrote: I want to hear your thoughts on the expride when you get a chance
I was intrigued about the whole Expride, ferrule, JDM, "Hi-Power X Construction" deal so I ordered one. When I unpacked the rod, my immediate impression was that it was a good looking stick - guides & blank. I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of foam. That being said, I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the cork/foam grip choice. Both the cork & foam look to be high quality. Overall the rod construction (craftsmanship) looks very good. No rods of similar power at home to compare it with as I keep most stuff on the boat. Initially paired it up with a Chronarch D7 spooled with 55lb braid.

Haven't quite formed an a solid opinion yet. Threw some 5" weightless senkos but I've been mainly fishing/catching using other techniques. Feels light & sensitive. As already reported by others, no issues with the ferrule. Despite the lure ratings, I think it slots somewhere between the Dobyns DX743 & DX744 - rods that I'm very familiar with. Probably closest to the DX744. Slightly fast action than the DX744. (Note: I reserve the right to amend those last three sentences as I have more time on the rod.) Rod is now paired with Curado HG spooled with 55lb braid.

I'm bummed that it doesn't have a hook holder. Yeah, I know....normal JDM type thing. Might not be a big deal for a lot of guys but something I really like.

So.....the big question is probably the sensitivity compared to the Dobyns Extremes. Not enough time to really form an opinion. I also throw out that since the actions & powers are different, it makes it hard to 'directly' compare. Right now, I'll say the Dobyns has a slight edge. Before anybody gets in an uproar, remember I have very little time on the rod & only with one bait.......

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Expride 7'1" Heavy casting - EX171H

Post by hobobob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 am

Oh the humanity. civicrr has jumped ship. Abandon boat! we are doomed!! :lol:

I'll sit on this one for now. The spec looks too good to be ture on the expride and the Adrena. The 1 year warranty scared me a bit. Please give futher review after some time on water. Not that I'll need another rod. :^o

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm also very interested in this rod. I have a Metanium XG that I'm thinking of pairing it with spooled with 20# fluoro for jigs. Keep us updated.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Congrats on your new purchase but please how can you base your initial thought that a DX has a slight edge in sensitivity when all you tossed is a SENKO. Maybe I read your post wrong but look forward to what you have to say when you actually use your Expride with bottom contact baits. So far my EX172MH has impressed me more on the water than when I first removed it from the tube. When I pick up a 1/2oz football jig rod I find myself reaching for my Expride more than my Nautilus, now that might start a uproar. :doh:

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I have a hard time putting my DXs down and thanks for the early review. I'm sure I'll will try one one when it's all said and done

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:05 pm

I have the 6'10" medium and haven't been that impressed with sensitivity. In that similar price range, it's far less sensitive than my Orochi XX and Legend Elite. I'd say it's closer to my KLX.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:01 pm

hobobob wrote:Oh the humanity. civicrr has jumped ship. Abandon boat! we are doomed!! :lol:
I do try other rods every now & then. I like to keep up with what is out there. Pretty sure I'm not jumping ship. [-X Dobyns just fish how I want a rod to fish.
Phippy wrote:Congrats on your new purchase but please how can you base your initial thought that a DX has a slight edge in sensitivity when all you tossed is a SENKO. Maybe I read your post wrong ....
Initial thought is just that, my initial reaction and feelings about the rod. I stated quite clearly that I reserve the right to change my opinion. I posted the disclaimer that I have "very little time on the rod & only with one bait......." BTW, the senko was cast (long & blind) to spawners, inside the weedline, while I was outside the weedline in current. It wasn't a deal where they were really hitting it. Rather they were picking it up & moving it.

Something else to keep in mind is that I fish Dobyns because I like how they fish. (Perhaps I should have posted a disclaimer that I'm a huge Dobyns fan...figured that people already knew that. :lol: ) There are some very nice rods from other brands that I just don't 'feel connected to'. Absolutely doesn't mean they're not great rods - just not the rods for me. There are many users on this forum who I respect but I don't have the same opinion on rods as them. Doesn't mean they're wrong. It means we look for different things in a rod.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 am

Great rod, used mine today with a D7 30lb SX1 Braid and a 3/8oz Bucktail, we were ripping them for Walleye through weeds in 6ft to 9ft of water. Got a solid 3 or 4 hours with the rod in hand, felt 2 walleye pick it up, 7 small largies all around a pound and 2 black crappies that surprised me.

Every bite was a solid tick/bump type bite. The reelseat seems sensitive or transfers those light ticks well. Free falling the bait is then you pick the slack up gently and do a "snap" the bait falls again etc…The rod is pretty sensitive IMO not trying to hijack here again only 1 day's experience on my end. I was impressed, the largies bent the first 22" or so and the power and me winching them in simply didn't stand a chance, this rod will shine in the heavy cover.

MTBF

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:58 pm

MTBF wrote:The reelseat seems sensitive or transfers those light ticks well......
MTBF
I forgot to comment on the reelseat. It was comfortable to use feeling very 'familiar'. There was no adjustment time needed at all. Looked very cool - if that is something that concerns you.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for the review civic, this rod is rated as heavy and you stated that it felt somewhere between a Dobyns 3 and 4
power, do you feel it's rated correctly? Thanks, Eric.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:42 am

Eric Walsh wrote:Thanks for the review civic, this rod is rated as heavy and you stated that it felt somewhere between a Dobyns 3 and 4
power, do you feel it's rated correctly? Thanks, Eric.
Phippy would probably have a better sense of that than me. re: I've got such limited time & experience with the rod.

The taper is different than the Dobyns DX744. I know that for sure. It seems to me that, in general, JDM rods (tips), or at least how they design the rod to load with lures, is different than how an USDM rod designer would make them.

I've also only caught fish to 3lbs on it. Fish that size didn't really engage the power in the butt. My sense is that the Expride does have a powerful butt section equivalent to a DX744, MBR844 or similar.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:47 am

For those with the 7'1" Heavy or 7'2" Med-Heavy, how does the rod balance?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Sorry, I haven't been on the boat for almost a month. :crying:

Besides that, from the time I started this thread to the time I've been too busy to fish, all pretty much threw were frogs. :D

If I get back on the boat, I'll pick it up to check the balance.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 am

Thanks for the additional insight and information on the Expride :D Really great to read up on.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:54 am

bassninja wrote:For those with the 7'1" Heavy or 7'2" Med-Heavy, how does the rod balance?
My EX172MH balances well with either a Core 50MG or 13' Metanium. I don't notice if it feels tip heavy in my hands at all and I fish my Expride a lot. To be honest I like the feel of the Core 50 more than the Met I think mainly because the CI4 reelseat is on the wide side compared to a standard Fuji and since I have smallish hands I like the narrow feel of the Core if that makes sense. :doh: