New IMX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New IMX

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Just curious if anyone is using one of these, and what they think of them? I snagged the 873 Carolina rig rod for $206, should be here Wednesday. Kind of wondering what to expect as I've never used an IMX rod, just the GL2, Mossyback, GLX, and NRX models. They definitely look nice on paper and for the price, I couldn't help myself.

Any likes or dislikes? Reel seat doesn't matter to me, as I have other ACS rods that haven't been an issue.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New IMX

Post by Bryanp292 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:22 am

I don't have that particular model, but I do have the 822s SHR IMX. It's not as sensitive as a GLX or NRX, but it has a much more crisp feeling than my older Gloomis blended SHR and is noticeably a more powerful rod. The sensitivity isn't as pronounced over the older SHR rod as I was hoping for, but when I used it as a drop shot rod, I was able to detect small little bites from some pesky bluegills that the other rod didn't transmit. The one thing that I can see bothering some folks will be that the rear grip is much thinner and those with larger hands might not have as much to grip on to if casting with two hands.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:53 pm

I just got the 7'11" heavy flipping stick it is a beast and feels very well balanced. I am looking forward to fishing it

Traybird
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Traybird » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:45 am

I didn't think they balanced well and immediately sent mine back to TW. But I am beginning to think I don't have a clue as to what balanced is and I just have a preference to how I want it to feel. I HATE tip heavy! The flipping sticks were very heavy IMHO.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:27 am

Traybird wrote:I didn't think they balanced well and immediately sent mine back to TW. But I am beginning to think I don't have a clue as to what balanced is and I just have a preference to how I want it to feel. I HATE tip heavy! The flipping sticks were very heavy IMHO.
Just wondering, what rod model did you have and what reel were you using when it wasn't balancing well?

Traybird
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Traybird » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:33 am

7'6" & 7'11" with a lews tourney pro reel.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 am

Even the GLX aren't that balanced let alone the IMX.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu May 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Traybird wrote:I didn't think they balanced well and immediately sent mine back to TW. But I am beginning to think I don't have a clue as to what balanced is and I just have a preference to how I want it to feel. I HATE tip heavy! The flipping sticks were very heavy IMHO.
I got the 873 today and took it out....it didn't really balance worth a crap either. I think had they put a little thicker handle and smaller guides, it would have helped. Standard sized guides add quite a bit of weight, especially the tip section. The handle was too skinny for my liking, though it's tolerable. I don't really like the foregrip design, I wish it was integrated into the locking nut or just taken off altogether. Didn't find the rod to be overly sensitive either. Certainly not up to its nearly $300 original price tag. It's heavier and less sensitive than my Kistler KLX rods. So far, the only Loomis rods I have ever gotten what I expected were the NRX and GLX. Everything else I've used from them was not even close to being worth the price tag.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun May 04, 2014 10:40 pm

tywithay wrote:
I got the 873 today and took it out....it didn't really balance worth a crap either. I think had they put a little thicker handle and smaller guides, it would have helped. Standard sized guides add quite a bit of weight, especially the tip section. The handle was too skinny for my liking, though it's tolerable. I don't really like the foregrip design, I wish it was integrated into the locking nut or just taken off altogether. Didn't find the rod to be overly sensitive either. Certainly not up to its nearly $300 original price tag. It's heavier and less sensitive than my Kistler KLX rods. So far, the only Loomis rods I have ever gotten what I expected were the NRX and GLX. Everything else I've used from them was not even close to being worth the price tag.
Interesting to hear what you saw in this rod. I have an NRX 873CR, I'd like to get another, as I fish a c-rig a lot, but don't want to shell out $500. I was hoping the IMX might be a good, less expensive substitute. I would not expect it to equal the NRX, but for the $$$ you'd think the IMX would be a decent rod.