What reels do you have on your NRX Green 893C JWR?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What reels do you have on your NRX Green 893C JWR?

Post by alex09 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 pm

I tried a TDZ 103L I'ze Custom Color (with 20lb braid) and also a Daiwa Sol (with 30lb braid) on an NRX Green 893C JWR but I can't get the sensitivity out of this rod.

I used the same reels and line on a K's Labo Lakeforce Stage 604MH and it feels more sensitive than the NRX. To be honest, I think my old Gen 1 Shimano 6' 8-17lb Clarus was more sensitive than this.

I was using the same tungsten 1/2 ounce bullet sinker, same hook and worm T-rig style.

BTW, I am fishing the same lake on the same spots.

Do you think the reels are the problem? What reels are you using to get that well-advertised sensitivity of this rod? Thanks.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What reels do you have on your NRX Green 893C JWR?

Post by jeb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm

alex09 wrote:Do you think the reels are the problem? What reels are you using to get that well-advertised sensitivity of this rod? Thanks.
Doubtful. I never even think about the reel adding sensitivity to a rod. Changes to the line type can, though. I've had a few reels on my 893 (steez, Core 50, MGX, Calais DC) and the rod always seems very sensitive to me, at least compared to the older GLX rods and to Dobyn's Extremes. But we're all different. If you feel some other rod is more sensitive, that's what I'd be buying more of.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks Jeb, I will try using other lines.

Come to think of it, when I first got the rod, I tested it out of the water :-) by using a t-rig on dry land, at about 20ft out, just to feel the tip when I crawl the worm+hook+tungsten weight. I also tested it on my 75 gallon aquarium (only the leader part is submerged). I remember that it felt more sensitive than the KS Labo.

But when I was on the water fishing it for real, that sensitivity was lost -- especially when the t-rig is farther out and on 6-10ft of water. I just can't feel the bottom, unlike the KS Labo.

Maybe the line is soaking or too heavy or perhaps not fit for the recoil guides. I was using Powerpro Moss Green. I will try another line maybe an 8-weave and see what happens.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 am

Met13

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:47 am

The reel is going to have little, if anything at all, to do with sensitivity..your line and the bottom composition will. I've used both a Core 50 and Steez on the rod w/ 14 and 16lb. Toray SuperHard Upgrade..never lacked for any sensitivity to me, which is likely an understatement. Are you not feeling bites or not feeling the bottom, like you would like?

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:58 am

chronarch ci4

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 am

steve1206 wrote:The reel is going to have little, if anything at all, to do with sensitivity..your line and the bottom composition will. I've used both a Core 50 and Steez on the rod w/ 14 and 16lb. Toray SuperHard Upgrade..never lacked for any sensitivity to me, which is likely an understatement. Are you not feeling bites or not feeling the bottom, like you would like?
Thanks Steve. I am unable to feel both bite and bottom structure.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Had a D7 on mine

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:31 pm

alex09 wrote:
steve1206 wrote:The reel is going to have little, if anything at all, to do with sensitivity..your line and the bottom composition will. I've used both a Core 50 and Steez on the rod w/ 14 and 16lb. Toray SuperHard Upgrade..never lacked for any sensitivity to me, which is likely an understatement. Are you not feeling bites or not feeling the bottom, like you would like?
I'm at a loss without seeing the scenario. Most folks I know, that have owned the rod, would classify it as possibly the most sensitive they've ever fished..??

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 pm

steve1206 wrote:
alex09 wrote:
I'm at a loss without seeing the scenario. Most folks I know, that have owned the rod, would classify it as possibly the most sensitive they've ever fished..??
Yup, I know. That's also the reason why I bought the rod - sensitivity. I will some colleagues who are using GLX and GL2 to try this rod in the water so as to eliminate that it's not me that's the issue :-).

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 pm

I have an 893 blue. First time I used it was at night. No light. Could not get a bite BUT I could literally feel fish swimming around my bait. Finally I decided to just give it a yank. Snagged a fish in the side. Went down again, same thing, I could feel fish nosing around my bait. Set the hook and snagged one in the head. My only guess is the weight is too much. I was using 1/4 oz weight and a 7 inch worm.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:28 pm

DougL58 wrote:I have an 893 blue. First time I used it was at night. No light. Could not get a bite BUT I could literally feel fish swimming around my bait. Finally I decided to just give it a yank. Snagged a fish in the side. Went down again, same thing, I could feel fish nosing around my bait. Set the hook and snagged one in the head. My only guess is the weight is too much. I was using 1/4 oz weight and a 7 inch worm.
Thanks Doug. That's an excellent point. The weight may be too much, the line too far out, and too deep water. I was using a 5/0 Sickle hook, on a 10" Mag II worm, and a 1/2 ounce tungsten weight.

Let me scale down to 1/4 ounce, 3/0 hook, and 7 inch worm, and also try a lighter line. Thanks again.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Met 13 or Sol

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:09 pm

I have a couple of blue 893's. I fish them year round, but also fish them in the winter on Table Rock lake. I primarily use them (in the winter) to fish t-rigged tubes using 3/8 or 1/2 oz tungsten bullet weights. Water depth I fish is primarily 20-30 feet deep. Water temps are typically around 40 degrees, plus or minus a few. Line is 10# Abrazx.

These fish are very light biters in the winter, but the 893's will help me detect that bite. Very sensitive rods, at least to me. It's hard to say what's going on with your 893, but it's not because of the reel choices.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:35 am

i have the 893 NRX blue and it is ridicuously sensitive . i got the blue over the green because, in my head, an unpainted blank has to be lighter and more sensitive than a painted one...not saying this is fact, just my own conjecture. however, after i got my green GLX 854, i swear the older, unpainted GLX was more sensitive and "alive"-feeling. but, back to your original question, i use either a shimano exsence DC or a 13metanium XG on mine. great combos.