request: photo of fenwick elite smallmouth rod with reel

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

request: photo of fenwick elite smallmouth rod with reel

Post by 21farms » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 pm

i'm checking out the fenwich elite tech smallmouth spinning rod in the 6'9" medium-light flavor. looking at the pics at TW, the handle looks ideal and like it would be absolutely comfortable in my hands. however, i can't figure out how the reel seat works. does one end twist? with a reel mounted, is there a gap in the cork? can someone post a pic with a reel mounted? thanks.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: request: photo of fenwick elite smallmouth rod with reel

Post by Bryanp292 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:45 pm

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am

bryan, thanks! that's exactly what i was looking for and hoping to see. that "hidden handle" design looks really comfortable.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:42 am

The 6'-9" ML is on my list for Shakeyhead and lighter grubs.

walli
Angler
Angler

Post by walli » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 pm

I have the same model you are contemplating and its my most comfortable grip. Well made rod and very good value for the $.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 am

I use the 6'9" M-XF for shaky heads and light jigs and I found myself using it for senkos, flukes and tubes, and it is that comfortable and sensitive that I own several of them and even the casting reel seat feels good although some don't care for the short grip behind it. I will tell you though, the spinning reel seat is awesome if you hold a spinning rod in what I call the "traditional" way, if you hold a spinning rod like Aaron Martens, well you won't like it at all, I also like the fact that half of your index finger can rest on the blank if you like to do that, most spinning rods I'm lucky to even get the tip of my finger on the blank. I'm not big on spinning but from the first time I fished with one and ever since, when I pick it up I have a hard time putting it down, add to the comfort that it is also very light.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 am

smalljaw, i recently got the megabass XX dropshot rod...i've only fished it once but, so far, i'm not sure i like it. it was clearly designed to be held with the entire hand in front of the reel stem just the way aaron martens likes it but that just feels strange to me. when i hold it the way i like to with two fingers on either side of the stem, it feels off-balanced.

now, when i look at the fenwick rod, the reel seat/rod grip doesn't look attractive per se but it does look supremely comfortable. unfortunately, i'm out of the market for that rod now...i saw that THUT had the tatulas on sale and picked up the tatula DS rod.