$300ish Rod... Looking @ Lamiglas and Airrus

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

$300ish Rod... Looking @ Lamiglas and Airrus

Post by sarcazmo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 am

Hey guy some questions for you.

I'm looking for a couple new rods in the $300ish range for bottom contact applications. T-rigs 1/4-3/8 primarily and jigs 3/8-1/2 with some minor variances here and there. I bought a DX744 and 745 based on all the glowing reviews and I'm just not that impressed.

I've been looking at the Lamiglas infinity and Airrus Nano fusion rods. Its pretty difficult to find first hand experience on these rods. I have emails out to both companies to see if there are any dealers locally that I can go to to check out the products.

Has anyone used either of these for bottom contact applications?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $300ish Rod... Looking @ Lamiglas and Airrus

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 am

sarcazmo wrote:Hey guy some questions for you.

I'm looking for a couple new rods in the $300ish range for bottom contact applications. T-rigs 1/4-3/8 primarily and jigs 3/8-1/2 with some minor variances here and there. I bought a DX744 and 745 based on all the glowing reviews and I'm just not that impressed.

I've been looking at the Lamiglas infinity and Airrus Nano fusion rods. Its pretty difficult to find first hand experience on these rods. I have emails out to both companies to see if there are any dealers locally that I can go to to check out the products.

Has anyone used either of these for bottom contact applications?
Megabass Orochi XX EMTF

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:46 am

I've not used either of the rods you mention, but I'll second a MB Orochi XX rod.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Why specifically that rod?

With the dx I bought I was expecting to be absolutely blown away by the sensitivity and found it to be on par with my klx/alx.

Is that rod mentioned going to accomplish that?

Just noticed the tackle trap sells airrus rods. Hopefully can give them a call tomorrow.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Probably based on length and weight range, compared to the Dobyns you mentioned. Send bronzefly a message on here, he'll help you out bigtime.

If you don't need a rod over 7ft, I'd suggest the MB Orochi XX Spinnerbait Special. And probably the Tour Versatile.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:52 pm

What kind of line were/are you using with the DX's?

Kick the budget up bit and get a rep. sample NRX…If you like the KLX get a Z Bone at the next sale (on sale both rods are around 350.

I've never used either of the rods you mentioned but have read nothing but good about the Lamiglas Inf. Tacklewarehouse also has them a lot cheaper than other sites for some reason too (and it's made in the USA). I haven't heard much about the Airrus rods other than the review tackle tour did on one…based on that I would be nervous of the assembly quality if I couldn't handle one first.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 pm

If you like the KLX, try the Helium.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Yep. Helium 3 unless you don't want another Kistler or looking for something different. Something special about those NFC blanks. I'm going to build on a Batson Rainshadow RX8 plus blank and see how it compares. These use a carbon scrim. A lot of people seem to really like the Envy Black blanks also. Falcon Cara T7 is another one I really like for bottom contact.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:55 am

I'll second the recommendation for a rep sample NRX. I haven't personally tried any rods that can outdo them in sensitivity yet. I don't have any experience with the Z-Bone rods though.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:14 am

I'd stay away from the Rep sample NRX UNLESS you can see them in person... Even ones that werent a rep sample have had QC issues, especially the earlier ones. They just seem to be inconsistent from an astetic standpoint. If im spending 300 and over, I expect a high quality finish. I know the Lamiglass Infinity uses the 3M Powerlux blank which is supposed to be AMAZING, but it hasnt caught on...maybe becasue it looks awkward from the giant butt section?

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 am

I really enjoy my KLX rods and have been considering the Helium and or a zbone on sale.

However, I always like to try new things and I havent seen either of those rods around here. The limited info I can find seems to be overwhelmingly positive, which always leaves me about skeptical.

I've been in contact with Airrus rods. If I buy it from them and am not satisfied they said they'll refund everything including shipping. Still gotta give tackle trap a call and see if they've got any first hand info.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 am

KLX, Helium, and ZBone are always 15% off with the right coupon code.

revo4life
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by revo4life » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 pm

i have 4 nano fusion's and i won't change them for anything, for those techniques buy the 7 ft heavy model, they are super sensitive but also they have a lot of power (which many rod manufacturers don't have that combo), the only thing is they are a bit heavier than most "new" rods, i guess if you don't mind the weight (which i don't) go ahead and buy it you won't be disappointed.

if you have any questions sen me a pm, i've been using them for 2 years now amazing rods.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:07 am

Is a Dobyns DX off your list?

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:11 am

H8R wrote:Is a Dobyns DX off your list?