Universal multi technique spinning rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Universal multi technique spinning rod

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:30 am

I dumped all my spinning gear a few years back. I'm looking for a spinning rod in the neighborhood of 6'10, give or take a few inches. Mod fast or fast. Will be used for a change of pace from my casting gear for a variety of smaller moving baits and senkos. Won't be used for much bottom contact if any st all. Would like to keep it at or under 300 dollars. Rod will be used with braid. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Universal multi technique spinning rod

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:46 am

Anybody own a XX 7'0 3.5 shaky head rod? How does it work with lighter Shad Raps and such?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:52 am

Checkout the XX shakeyhead. Medium power that is fast but loads little lower.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:02 am

St. Croix LTB 6'10" ML-XF, that is a nice rod and I have fished it a lot but I like the skeleton reel seat so that is a plus. It is extra fast but it has more than enough flex , closer to a medium than a ML. I like this series from St. Croix and if I needed another spinning set up in that price range I'd grab one.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 am

smalljaw wrote:St. Croix LTB 6'10" ML-XF, that is a nice rod and I have fished it a lot but I like the skeleton reel seat so that is a plus. It is extra fast but it has more than enough flex , closer to a medium than a ML. I like this series from St. Croix and if I needed another spinning set up in that price range I'd grab one.
X 2. I picked up this rod 2 years ago for an all around spinning rod and I absolutely love it. Like smalljaw said, it fishes more like a M than a ML and the XF tip isn't nearly as XF as say a Dobyns.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 am

Probably less than half your budget, but I've been using a Falcon Open Hook Special for years and years. I believe it's the FS-4-166. 6-6 Medium Original. A Lowrider or Cara would be a nice step up from the Original. I've used it to throw everything from shakyhead to wacky rig to jerkbait to small cranks and open hook swimbaits. I fish with braid also. I've mostly switched to Loomis, but this is one of the Falcons I couldn't bear to retire.

It is definitely more powerful than a SJR782 GLX that I owned. Similar in power to my Mossyback 803S but more moderate in action.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:46 am

St. Croix 6'8" M XF are one of my favorite rods…used mine for senkos (had the Legend Tourn). They are available in all their rod series.

Maybe one of the Kistler Helium 3's. I haven't used one, but this looks interesting http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fishin ... zxniFxiZSE

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:53 am

Dobyns Champ 683SF. I use mine for jerkbaits, small cranks, tubes, 4" senkos, and it can handle 5" senkos albeit I feel it is a bit under powered for them. It is my go to all purpose spinner. If I take one spinning rod with me anywhere for bass it is this one. It is too light to use with 3/8oz jigs, but being as you wont be doing bottom contact it should be fine. The cranks I use are Rapala DT 4 and 6's mostly.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:06 am

the sjr782 glx was the only spinner I used for years.

iowafshrmn
Angler
Angler

Post by iowafshrmn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 am

brokeneye wrote:the sjr782 glx was the only spinner I used for years.
×2 The sjr782 glx has been my favorite spinning rod for years. I've tried a lot of different rod since buying the 782 and they all end up in the corner of the garage. For me the sjr782 has that "it" factor.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 am

Alright. Pretty set on the XX. Don't think I can get talked out of it. Not a huge fan of Croix rods or split seats. This will be my only spinning rod and I think the parabolic action is right up my alley. My partner and I have different rod tastes. He likes a quick snap hook set extra fast rod, while I like a more progressive lift the tip and set the hook. I must admit, that 7 foot medium Tatula is very tempting. I like the new Fenwick HMG ad well, but this is TT

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:49 am

i dont have the shakey head XX but i do have the drop shot XX, its fantastic. i bought it mainly for an all purpose rod (small cranks, drop shots, jig/plastic, jig/minnow for walleyes, etc). have only had it out twice so far, as its been too cold and the microish guide ice up too fast, but it is very sensitive. in fact i like it so much that ill be pulling the trigger on a 2nd one in the next couple weeks.

and for reference, i have had a couple legend tournaments (6'9" mlxf ltb and 7' mlf ltws), an avid 6'3"mxf, a phenix recon1 692l, fenwick hmg...the megabass is far and away the most sensitive and best feeling rod of the bunch. balance is great with a certate 2000/2004, a ballistic 2000, and a fuego 2000 (those are the only reels i have played with on it). just an awesome rod!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I will be using it with a 2000 size Cabelas Verano spinning reel........I think :-k

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Anybody own a XX 7'0 3.5 shaky head rod? How does it work with lighter Shad Raps and such?
I have a tournament next week. I will let you know after that if you can hold off on a purchase. I use it for shake head and flick shake so far and like it a lot. However, I haven't caught anything very big with it so I haven't seen it's full potential. Not too mention it's only been out 3 or 4 times and that was late last year just before it got cold.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm

7'2 M XF