Orochi XX Perfect Pitch vs DX745....

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drewski73
Angler
Angler

Orochi XX Perfect Pitch vs DX745....

Post by Drewski73 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:44 am

Im in need of another pitchin stick/deep water football head rod. I own all Dobyns currently, but the spec's of the PP have more than piqued my curiosity.I already own one DX745 that I pitch 3/8-1/2oz jigs and bigger T-rigs with, but Id like to have both of those on the deck at all times when Im in timber, or runnin down banks. I absolutely love my 745, which is my first reaction was to buy another, but like I said earlier, the Perfect Pitch has me extremely curious.

Anybody own both? The 2 inch difference does not bother me a bit. Ive never owned a megabass rod however, and have no idea how they compare to a DX sensitivity wise, and action wise. My gut wants to stick with what I know, but the PP looks great, and gives me a little higher lure rating in case I decide to punch with it at some point, with up to 1oz punch rigs. I didnt like how the 745 felt with a 1oz punch rig, just a bit overpowered to my hands.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Charger 596
Angler
Angler

Re: Orochi XX Perfect Pitch vs DX745....

Post by Charger 596 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:55 am

Im going to throw another option at you. The DX 784. I have the DX 745 and have used it for mainly pitching and more shallow water applications. I have used it fishing footballs in 15-20' though.

The 784 give you a bit more length to cast with and IMO, a better bottom feel than the 745. I think the 745 forces the bait over obstructions more than the 784. I feel that I can really crawl a bait with the 784 and not pop it over rocks and wood. Just more control of the bait because it has a little softer tip.

The 784 doesnt have any issue driving hooks either. I really love the rod and have caught quite a few deep water fish on this....and big fish as well. Big is relative...5lb is big here. Ive caught several in the 6-8lb range with it, and the rod handles them very well with the additional length. It is the Mike Long jig rod, so it was made to fish jigs...and Long does it pretty well.

Price point between the two is basically the same, so that isnt a deciding factor.

Hope this helps some

Drewski73
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewski73 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:59 am

I fish pretty heavy timber, and at times my DX744 leaves me wanting more power. Im leaning more towards something heavier than the DX745, rather than lighter. I also own 2 other "4" power rods.

Charger 596
Angler
Angler

Post by Charger 596 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:04 am

Ive used the 744 as well, and know exactly what you mean. The 784 is not in the same ballpark as the 744. I throw 1/2-3/4 on it and not overpowered.

An option could be the 746...it is a stout rod. If you are looking for a more powerful version of the 745, the DX746 would be it.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:11 am

Drewski73 wrote:I fish pretty heavy timber, and at times my DX744 leaves me wanting more power. Im leaning more towards something heavier than the DX745, rather than lighter. I also own 2 other "4" power rods.
Dx765

Charger 596
Angler
Angler

Post by Charger 596 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm

fishingandfords wrote:
Drewski73 wrote:I fish pretty heavy timber, and at times my DX744 leaves me wanting more power. Im leaning more towards something heavier than the DX745, rather than lighter. I also own 2 other "4" power rods.
Dx765

Yeah...or that one.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Well.......

The DX746 is a much more powerful rod with a faster action than the DX745. Despite the fact that they both start their lure range at 3/8oz, my short time with the DX746 makes me think the DX746 has a little more tip.

The DX765 has more tip than the DX745 but, despite the published lure rating, I'm not sure that I would call it a more powerful rod. If you're looking for a more little powerful 'DX744', between the DX745, DX765 and DX746, the DX765 would probably be the best choice.

Drewski73
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewski73 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 pm

If I do go Dobyns, itll probably be another DX745 like I say in the op. I was really looking for comparisons between the Orochi PP and the 745.

I love my 745, but dig the specs and looks of the PP.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:56 am

Honestly, I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on either the Perfect Pitch or AM Flipping. There is so much hype, mystique on Megabass sticks I wanted to try one. Even though I'm completely happy with being a Dobyns fanboy, I still like to fish other rods. Part of the fun for me is to see what else is out there.

The review that Wolbugger did on the Spinnerbait Special came out just in time for me.....I dislike the micro guides quite a bit.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:53 pm

The guides on the Orochi XX rods aren't true micro guides. I'm not a fan of micro guides, either. These are somewhere in between.

I have the PP, but never had a Dobyns. There's a heck of a lot of backbone on the PP but the tip really makes the rod, for me. I've not used it much yet, but thus far I'm really enjoying not only pitching with it but side-arm casts into cover have been effortless. It's definitely not just a pitching rod. I think it would do well with football jigs. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, I'll try to tie on something upwards of an ounce and see how it handles that.

You may want to shoot bronzefly a message at The Tackle Trap. He's been a big help steering me into the right Orochi's for the way I fish. And they do carry Dobyns as well.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:38 pm

MH, thanks for the info. Might be worth looking into some more.

I know a lot of guys like the Tackle Trap. I'm a regular customer of the The Hook Up Tackle. They sell both Dobyns and Megabass too.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:The guides on the Orochi XX rods aren't true micro guides. I'm not a fan of micro guides, either. These are somewhere in between.

I have the PP, but never had a Dobyns. There's a heck of a lot of backbone on the PP but the tip really makes the rod, for me. I've not used it much yet, but thus far I'm really enjoying not only pitching with it but side-arm casts into cover have been effortless. It's definitely not just a pitching rod. I think it would do well with football jigs. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, I'll try to tie on something upwards of an ounce and see how it handles that.

You may want to shoot bronzefly a message at The Tackle Trap. He's been a big help steering me into the right Orochi's for the way I fish. And they do carry Dobyns as well.
Thanks MH! The Tackle Trap is actually a paying sponsor of Tackle Tour as well ;)

Exactly, I also dislike true micro guides. The guides on the XX series are "semi-micros" and I really like them. In terms of the power of the Perfect Pitch, it certainly has plenty to handle the 1oz weights, and is also more than capable of pitching and casting 3/8 and 1/2 oz stuff as well. I feel that the Megabass XX rods in general are more sensitive than the DX rods, but as we all know, it's subjective. In terms of the build quality, over all feel, and aesthetics I prefer the XX as well. The Dobyns DX are fine rods and we happily sell those as well and offer our Tackle Tour customers some fine deals on them.

Drewski73
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewski73 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm

I wasnt aware the XX rods had micro guides. I fish braid with flouro leaders and alberto knots. That doesnt work really well with micros usually, do either of you guys with the xx rods fish that set up and how does it pitch? . I wish I could handle one and see the guide diameter. I do like the specs on the PP a lot.

Civicrr I feel exactly the same way about mb rods. Ive always been intrigued.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Drewski73 wrote:I wasnt aware the XX rods had micro guides. I fish braid with flouro leaders and alberto knots. That doesnt work really well with micros usually, do either of you guys with the xx rods fish that set up and how does it pitch? . I wish I could handle one and see the guide diameter. I do like the specs on the PP a lot.

Civicrr I feel exactly the same way about mb rods. Ive always been intrigued.
They don't have "micro" guides. The guides are slightly smaller than standard Fuji guides, hardly micro.

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Honestly the only thing stopping me from buying a MB rod is the 3 year warranty vs. lifetime. Dobyns has always taken care of me if I had any issues. Maybe I'm in the minority but that's the deal breaker. Big reason i stay away from loomis now.

The extreme mission seems like a killer rod though.