Sorting my rod locker Part I

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ablocke_za
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Sorting my rod locker Part I

Post by ablocke_za » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:10 am

Hi all

This is part 1 of getting my rod locker in order and I was hoping for some assistance.

My current rods for soft plastics & jigs are as follows(excl spin rods):
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 9.27.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 9.27.07 PM.png (38.79 KiB) Viewed 716 times
The items in red are old rods which I reckon should be upgraded although I might just be obsessed with getting new rods (likely).

I am moving soon and will be fishing five specific waters on the tournament trail and I have a few concerns with the current rods highlighted above.

- The 7'6" St Croix and 13 Fishing Envy are under gunned for jigs in heavy cover. What are your thoughts?
If this is the case I was thinking of adding either the Dobyns DX746C or DX795 or Champion 766 or Champion 805

- I would like to replace the items in red with premium dobyns rods or possibly 13 Fishing envy or GLX rods. These rods would primarily serve the 1/4 - 1oz bracket for soft plastic T-rigs and carolina/mojo rigs. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts were to add two rods being the DX703 or Champion 703 & the DX704 or Champion 704

- I feel I need a dedicated rod both for bladed swim jigs (Chatterbait) and swim jigs. This may be overkill but reckon they will always be on the deck of my boat and the 733 can always be a spinnerbait rod to complement the Loomis Mossyback 1/2 - 3/4 oz rod.What are your thoughts?
From what I have read the Dobyns 733 & 734 would suffice for this

Sorry about the long post hopefully can get some help.

As a note the venues I fish often are all man made dams, winter rainfall with temps below 55 deg F maybe 1 or 2 months a year but not much below.

1. Smallmouth predominant with some big largemouth. Rocky, anthills, flooded sparse vegetation/grass
2. Largemouth predominant with some smallies. Rocks, roads, Riprap, lay downs, flooded bushes
3. Largemough with a tiny smallmouth population. Farmland so old houses,roads, fences Rocks, Riprap, lots of timber, flooded bushes early season