Am I crazy?!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
cvanpelt
Angler
Angler

Am I crazy?!

Post by cvanpelt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 am

I want to get on opinion on this before I make any rash decisions! I purchased some top end used fishing rods and I am thinking about selling them to pick up more rods so I don't have to retie as often. The rods I am looking at selling is a NRX 852c, NRX 822s DSR, and GLX BCFR894. I am also looking at getting rid of a couple middle of the road rods such as a 7'MH Legend Tournament, and Dobyns Champ 702sf. The reason I am thinking about possibly selling these is because I want to get more rods and don't have the money. I bought these on impulse because they were a good deal but would rather have more rod combos to cover more techniques. Plus I worry about breaking them and being out the money. I am thinking about going to one brand and am leaning towards the OMEN line. I think I might be crazy but wanted to get some opinions first! Thanks.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Am I crazy?!

Post by Antonese » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 am

If I were in your shoes Id stick with what you have as long as you enjoy it. I started with low to mid level equipment so I could have multiple setups and now find myself disgusted with that gear and end up selling a few lower end combos each year and slowly buying good stuff as I can afford it. No need to rush brother. Just my two cents. Also don't be afraid to fish the good stuff, its meant to be used.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:02 pm

I think that after you take the loss selling your good gear you may be able to afford less other gear than you might hope. I would also say that the 822 and 852 cover some core techniques that require sensitivity. You would need to find direct replacements for these and will still have to spend a fair bit for something that has at least some "feel". You will notice the difference. Maybe consider selling one rod (the one you like least) and picking up a replacement and one other combo. I know I would have trouble going from an NRX or GLX to a $100.00 rod. :doh:

alford78
Angler
Angler

Post by alford78 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Yes. Take it slow. Tie a line and enjoy feeling the bottom surface while fishing (that's half the fun once get in this range).

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Here is a story I would like to share concerning my own personal experience. I amassed what my friends called one of the best rod collections around. I had a bass rod and reel for everything (e.g., one rod for frogs, one for toads, one for weightless worms, one for t-rigs, one for topwater, one for spinnerbaits, etc.). I had over 40 bass outfits (all G Loomis). But what I realized over time was that some of these combos were never making their way out of the rod rack. I just didn't have the room in the boat and I was always making a cut. This made me realize that it was better to have an arsenal of top notch rods that could serve multiple purposes vs. a mid-range rod for everything. You are doing it right by slowly collecting some really nice equipment and adding as you go. There is no need to go backwards. It maybe a little annoying now to retie, but as you add another nice rod or two over time, you will have to retie less, but the quality of your arsenal will not decrease. To make a long story short, stay the course and keep what you have.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Are you tourney fishing?

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 pm

How hard is it to re-tie? :-k

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm

I'll take 5 premium setups over 50 average ones any day of the week. Your rods all have good replacement policies if you break them.

Even at a decent resale with shipping supplies/expenses, you may only double your rod count getting Omens… :beat up:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:58 pm

i went that route before and i would strongly suggest not selling the rods you have. i am now back up to 9 combos lol where i sold all my fishing gear last year, so yeah i have to do some retying at the moment. At one point i had around 30 combos and like the above comment when you get past that number a lot of combos dont see the light beyond the rod locker. my combos now are mostly nrx/ megabass, and one dobyns and im much happier with the better gear than i was with an army of crucial rods. dont get me wrong they were good rods but once you use the nrx rods its hard to go in reverse mode.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're crazy.

:big grin:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Don't do it! Been there done that

cvanpelt
Angler
Angler

Post by cvanpelt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I know it isn't hard to retie but everybody likes to just pick up another rod with what you want and sling it out there! This is my first year fishing derby's so that has definitely played into my wanting more gear. But I think I will take the consensus advice and keep my rods and add quality stuff as I can.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:34 am

cvanpelt wrote:Thanks for all the advice! I know it isn't hard to retie but everybody likes to just pick up another rod with what you want and sling it out there! This is my first year fishing derby's so that has definitely played into my wanting more gear. But I think I will take the consensus advice and keep my rods and add quality stuff as I can.
That is what I gathered...you were in a tourney and thought about "more rods" = "more speed". There is a point to that, along with having less expensive gear to replace if/when they get beat up.

The question is what happens when you are not tourney fishing and you miss your nicer gear?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Lucky Craft Man wrote:Here is a story I would like to share concerning my own personal experience. I amassed what my friends called one of the best rod collections around. I had a bass rod and reel for everything (e.g., one rod for frogs, one for toads, one for weightless worms, one for t-rigs, one for topwater, one for spinnerbaits, etc.). I had over 40 bass outfits (all G Loomis). But what I realized over time was that some of these combos were never making their way out of the rod rack. I just didn't have the room in the boat and I was always making a cut. This made me realize that it was better to have an arsenal of top notch rods that could serve multiple purposes vs. a mid-range rod for everything. You are doing it right by slowly collecting some really nice equipment and adding as you go. There is no need to go backwards. It maybe a little annoying now to retie, but as you add another nice rod or two over time, you will have to retie less, but the quality of your arsenal will not decrease. To make a long story short, stay the course and keep what you have.
Similar situation here too. Started with Sahara's and now have Stella's.

Same with low pro's started with I think it was a Crestfire, now Metanium's, Antares etc.

Same thing with rods (although GLX is my highest end.)

Of course it is expected that as we get older and our income rises we would upgrade along the way, but I was starting at like 33 yrs old and was not even fishing the gear before I would want to sell it and upgrade it losing my a!@ along the way every time. (Some high end ABU/Daiwa mixed in to, by the way.)

I think, if at all possible, saving for and buying higher end gear from the start, and also having less total combo's is the way to go. I probably lost 3-5 thousand dollars along the way if I had to guess. Maybe much more. It's a sucky way to get where you are going to end up anyways based on the fact you own an NRX.

Good luck in your decision. You know what they say about advice.......

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:12 pm

I agree with the advice given. Going higher grade, soon you get use to the advantages and forget.
Going down you'll never forget what you had.

On the outside they look fairly similar but it all changes on strike.