Need everyday casting rod (Megabass)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LarsS
Angler
Angler

Need everyday casting rod (Megabass)

Post by LarsS » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 am

Hey guys,

once again i need your advice ;-) I am looking for a versatile every day Megabass casting rod for moving baits. I want to throw shallow and medium running crankbaits, jerkbaits, topwater and sometimes weightless softbaits.

Most baits I throw weight 3/8 or 1/2 oz.
(e.g. FlapSlap, Cyclone, X-80, Oneten, Giant Dog-X)

Sometimes I throw Lates & Oneten Magnum but not every day.
The lightest plug I want to throw is the ZipBaits Trick Shad 70SP 7,8g.

What do you think are the best fitting sticks?

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need everyday casting rod (Megabass)

Post by mitchct » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:53 am

I use different rods for TW and small cranks:

TW – X4 Rattle Viper and X4 Oneten Stick. They both have a “Regular” taper but to me the RV acts more like a Fast than a Regular. They have the same ¼ to ¾ oz lure range but the Oneten is rated one power heavier.

For Shallow and Mid-depth cranks I use the Evoluzion Big Taper Cyclone Type-F Cork, and it’s perfect for anything up to about 5/8 oz (rated 3/16 to 5/8). This one has an MF taper. I just ordered, but have not yet used, a Destroyer Phase III The Griffon. On paper it has an identical lure range and tip of the Cyclone Type-F, but it hasn’t even arrived yet so I can’t tell you much more than that.

One other option you could consider would be the Phase III Eiger Northwall, 1/8 to ½ oz, MF taper. While I throw this out as an option, I would not use it for your stated purposes. For me it’s very good with squarebills and shallow cranks but feels a bit overpowered for a ½ oz crankbait (in the 10-12’ range). This is subjective, and depending on your preferences plus how often you throw the ½ oz baits you mentioned this could be a possibility for you. I’ll repeat: it’s great for the squarebills.

I am not crazy about a faster tip on a crank that’s pulling back at me too much, so if I were going with only one rod for both TW and shallow/mid cranks I think I’d go with the Cyclone Type-F. The Phase III The Griffon, which I haven’t tried yet, could be a very good option also, I just can’t tell you for sure.

Good luck with your decision

LarsS
Angler
Angler

Post by LarsS » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:54 am

Thank you for the answer.
To be a little bit more precise i think i´m going to throw 3/8 crankbaits much more often than 1/2.
5 feet range crankbaits whould be enough for the rod i´m looking for. For the deeper running stuff i have my Nautilus.

The Griffon Phase III could be interesting.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 am

Take a look at the Evoluzion BigTaper Elseil F4-610XDti before there all gone. I purchased one new few months ago no water time yet but in hand this rod would excel with any 3/8oz moving baits with the occasional 1/2oz if needed. This particular Elseil blank is probably the most forgiving/slowest taper of any Elseil currently available now.

LarsS
Angler
Angler

Post by LarsS » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:41 pm

A friend of me has the Orochi X4 Elseil but i´m looking for a shorter rod.
Maybe the XDti would fit but i dont want to go over 6.8.
What about the F4 Cyclones (Phase3, X7) or the F3 Griffon, does anyone use this rods?

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:07 am

I have the Cyclone Advantage X7 that you mentioned. I have not owned it long, but have put in a lot of time on the water with it, and caught some nice fish.

That rod is probably THE BEST 3/8-1/2 spinnerbait rod I have ever held. I can see it being used for crankbaits, however, I would not. I prefer a much softer (in terms of power) rod for the size crankbaits you specified. The Cyclone Advantage has a slow enough taper to fish a crankbait, but at the same time I feel its a pretty stout rod despite its F4 rating.

With that said, the Cyclone Advantage is VERY versatile. Much more so than I thought it would be when holding it, prior to fishing it. It does well with smaller Texas Rigs, smaller jigs, 5" Senkos, large Lucky craft pointers, as well as a variety of other baits. I can also see it being a sweet rod from throwing "walk the dog" baits when the topwater bite heats up.

So in short, based on my experience with the X7 Cylcone Advantage, it would suit your needs and much more! You will not be disappointed with that rod in the least.

LarsS
Angler
Angler

Post by LarsS » Mon May 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Hey guys thanks for your help.
I got my Oneten Stick and my Metanium HG a few days ago \:D/
I am very happy with this combo - it does what i wanted it for ;-)