jerkbait rod under $150

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: jerkbait rod under $150

Post by jonahsdad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:26 pm

I was offered a deal by a fishing tackle store on a 6'8" St. Croix Rage rod for $99, $51 off regular price! Guides were lined up well and no excessive epoxy. He's holding it for me until Sat. to let me decide. I have a St. Croix Premier and an Avid an really like them both. Only thing is that handle. Not sure how I would like it. Any thoughts /input?

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:58 am

The 13 Fishing Omen OBC67M is a really nice jerkbait/topwater rod at its price point of $100. It's a 6'7" medium power rod. It has a short but section which is nice for jerkbaits.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 am

When I emailed 13 fishing and asked which rod for jerkbaits, Matt replied the 7'1" med/fast omen. I thought that was very interesting because I was originally thinking the 6'7" med would have been the answer. He said the tip would be perfect.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 am

I have fish a st-croix rage rod for 2 season, it was the 6,8" mh fast using it for pitching jig mostly, of course the blank is excellent , i really like the guide, it make the rod very sensative but the the handle shape is not confortable at all and the reel seat felt cheap and slippery.Check out the abu veritas 6,6" medium power, i use this rod for jerkbait fishing since last september, caught tons of smallmouth on this rod this fall.I was fishing mostly stx ,Stacey 90, slender pointer 97 and 112 , this rod handle those bait perfectly. 8-)

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:11 am

Chode wrote:loving my new tatula 6'10 MH F rod for spinnerbaits and jerkbaits. plenty of backbone. Extremely well balanced and lightweight with plenty of tip action. Sensitivity isn't paramount with moving baits but this rod has plenty of that as well.
A friend let me cast his Tatula rod and reel combo, and all I can say is WOW!!!! St. Croix Rage put back 6'10" Tatula bought!! Thanks for the input! Got it $25 off list!

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 am

masterbass wrote:When I emailed 13 fishing and asked which rod for jerkbaits, Matt replied the 7'1" med/fast omen. I thought that was very interesting because I was originally thinking the 6'7" med would have been the answer. He said the tip would be perfect.
That would be a nice stick for the job too. But for me I like something under 7'. With a 7' rod you will hit the side of the boat and water when working the bait.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Shimano-Or-Nothing wrote:
masterbass wrote:When I emailed 13 fishing and asked which rod for jerkbaits, Matt replied the 7'1" med/fast omen. I thought that was very interesting because I was originally thinking the 6'7" med would have been the answer. He said the tip would be perfect.
That would be a nice stick for the job too. But for me I like something under 7'. With a 7' rod you will hit the side of the boat and water when working the bait.
i tend to disagree with this. i am 5'2" and use a 7'1" or 7'4" rod for jerkbaits. :D it was gary dobyns that suggested that i stick to the longer rods.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 am

Used my 7'1" omen medium today. Mainly I wanted to try my new jerkbait rod. Here is what I think. This tip is perfect for getting reaction out of the bait. I'm used to to shorter rods for jerks, but this longer rod felt more efficient. It took up more line with less wrist motion. My jerks were shorter and sharper. Also the backbone on this rod with the soft tip will keep fish pinned better.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:06 am

masterbass wrote:Used my 7'1" omen medium today. Mainly I wanted to try my new jerkbait rod. Here is what I think. This tip is perfect for getting reaction out of the bait. I'm used to to shorter rods for jerks, but this longer rod felt more efficient. It took up more line with less wrist motion. My jerks were shorter and sharper. Also the backbone on this rod with the soft tip will keep fish pinned better.
This is good to hear. I've been looking at the 7'-1" medium omen to use for predominately soft jerkbaits. As far as the St. Croix Rage rods go, I haven't liked them from the beginning. The blanks are decent, but the handle and the guides are a definite no go for that price.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm

I had the 6'7 Omen. The tip was far from what I would consider soft. Still a touch to fast for jerks for my taste.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Hogsticker, maybe that's why matt steered me towards the 7'1" because I specifically asked about the 6'7".

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:36 pm

masterbass wrote:Hogsticker, maybe that's why matt steered me towards the 7'1" because I specifically asked about the 6'7".
It is possible. I imagine the longer blank is a bit softer.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:47 am

froteur wrote:
i tend to disagree with this. i am 5'2" and use a 7'1" or 7'4" rod for jerkbaits. :D it was gary dobyns that suggested that i stick to the longer rods.
It all depends on how you give the bait action. Some people jerk to the side and some straight down.

I jerk down with jerkbaits and topwaters so a long rod will be slapping water, esp if you are 5'2" and in a boat. You must be side jerking. To each their own.

I like faster tips for erratic action jerkbaits like a 110 and a softer tip for baits like the pointer that, to me, is a more finesse jerkbait because it isn't as erratic.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 am

legendaryyaj wrote:
froteur wrote:
It all depends on how you give the bait action. Some people jerk to the side and some straight down.

I jerk down with jerkbaits and topwaters so a long rod will be slapping water, esp if you are 5'2" and in a boat. You must be side jerking. To each their own.

I like faster tips for erratic action jerkbaits like a 110 and a softer tip for baits like the pointer that, to me, is a more finesse jerkbait because it isn't as erratic.
i'm kinda in between with the jerk. i try to use the downward motion as best as possible, but, as you can figure, it is always somewhat to the side.