KVD 1.5's and Traps (1/4) rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

KVD 1.5's and Traps (1/4) rod

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:38 am

I need a rod that can pull double duty as money is tight. What rod power and action would you go for on a rod used for both 1/4 oz-1/2 oz rattle traps + red eye shad and also KVD 1.5 and similar square bill cranks.

This is for graphite rods by the way. I don't like the feel of composite or glass.

Thanks

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: KVD 1.5's and Traps (1/4) rod

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:17 am

I would look for a 7' to 7'2" rod, Mh/mf. I've been using a 7' H/mf and it works very good to but could use a little more flex in the tip for the smaller squarebills, that's why the Mh should be perfect. Heavy power works great for rippin traps though.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:I would look for a 7' to 7'2" rod, Mh/mf. I've been using a 7' H/mf and it works very good to but could use a little more flex in the tip for the smaller squarebills, that's why the Mh should be perfect. Heavy power works great for rippin traps though.
There is not much vegetation at all in my local lakes and ponds so rippin through grass doesn't have to be taken into consideration. I was thinking that a Medium power w/ a moderate fast or moderate action. I have used a Medium power fast action for 1/4 oz rattle traps in the past and it worked very well and I could really launch the baits out there. The rod loaded up almost perfectly for them. It loaded up very nicely for 1/2 oz rattle traps as well.
But that was a fast action rod, so if I am looking for a rod with a moderate or mod fast action, should I jump up to MH?

Thanks

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 am

I use two rods for the baits you mentioned, one a Loomis CBR 845 and the other a Powell Max 706CB. Granted I very rarely throw trap style baits but when I do it's on one of these two. I fish 1.5 sized squarebills a ton though and both of these rods do a great job with them, IMHO of course. Powell doesn't make this rod in the Max series anymore, not sure if they offer it in the Endurance line or not.

So this brings us back to the Loomis CBR 845, this is a rod I'd honestly suggest you look at before making your final choice. It's a very versatile cranking stick.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 am

For the baits that you're describing, I recommend the Dobyns 704CB. That's the rod I'm using right now for my squarebills and mid depth diving crankbaits.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:08 pm

I would jump up to the Dobyn's 705cb. The 704cb is nice for 1.5's but definitely not enough rod to throw 1/2oz traps in my opinion

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Dobyns Champ McAbee Cranking Rod 7'6" Medium 764

I use this rod for throwing them into the stratosphere. Feels great in hand as well.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:23 pm

7' mhm like what st croix and loomis offer. A medium with a mod action is usually to wimpy and best for small poppers

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:I would look for a 7' to 7'2" rod, Mh/mf. I've been using a 7' H/mf and it works very good to but could use a little more flex in the tip for the smaller squarebills, that's why the Mh should be perfect. Heavy power works great for rippin traps though.
There is not much vegetation at all in my local lakes and ponds so rippin through grass doesn't have to be taken into consideration. I was thinking that a Medium power w/ a moderate fast or moderate action. I have used a Medium power fast action for 1/4 oz rattle traps in the past and it worked very well and I could really launch the baits out there. The rod loaded up almost perfectly for them. It loaded up very nicely for 1/2 oz rattle traps as well.
But that was a fast action rod, so if I am looking for a rod with a moderate or mod fast action, should I jump up to MH?

Thanks
A 7' M would work ok with the traps but a MH work work much better, even without grass for the 1/2oz while still casting the 1/4 just fine. The MH is also better for the squarebills as its more comfortable to fish with, will not work you as much and is still versatile as it will cast larger and smaller bats than the 1.5. 7' is perfect for both target casting and long casts. Moderate fast seems like the way to go in my opinion.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Dobyns 704cb or KLX M Crank, Rip, Twitch get my vote…Just keep it 1/2oz and under…soft enough tip to cast lighter lures with backbone.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:10 pm

I have the older Shimano Clarus, the one with the brown blank and full cork that's a 7' Med-Hvy Fast action rod that's perfect for this. I don't know if you could find one online somewhere, but this thing has a very soft tip that loads these baits very well.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 pm

godshippy wrote:I have the older Shimano Clarus, the one with the brown blank and full cork that's a 7' Med-Hvy Fast action rod that's perfect for this. I don't know if you could find one online somewhere, but this thing has a very soft tip that loads these baits very well.
I keep hearing about that rod.. People claim that rod is the best for swim jigs. I will try and find one.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:52 am

Well, and this is just my opinion of course, I don't think the Clarus would be a good rod for square bills at all. Way to "stiff" of an action in the lower 2/3 of the rod. It might be ok for traps if you were fishing lots of heavy grass but you said that wasn't the case for you so I wouldn't suggest this rod for what you're looking for at all.

Like I suggested earlier the Loomis CBR 845 is a really good versatile cranking stick with the (again IMO) correct action and power for the lures you're looking to fish. I'm sure it's far from being the best crankbait rod made anymore as it's a fairly old design but that still doesn't mean it isn't a good choice.

Different guys like different things that's why there are so many companies in the rod business. Not everyone likes the same rod for cranks, I just happen to think this rod covers a lot of treble hook baits.

Edit: I just noticed he said his Clarus has a brown blank, mine is gray and green so his might be perfect for these baits.

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 am

GLX 855 cbr.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 am

Phenix m1 7'2" mh. Softer tip, lots of backbone