Disappointed with my dx702 experience

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ipeeinmywetsuit
Angler
Angler

Disappointed with my dx702 experience

Post by ipeeinmywetsuit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:10 pm

I ordered a DX 702 spinning rod after reading nothing but good things. This was not my first Dobyns as I own two of their Champion swimbait rods. Upon its arrival I was blown away by how this rod looked aesthetically and felt in my hand so I took it down to my local pond and caught a few fish. I was more than impressed and fell in love with the rods look and performance. The next day I went out to pre fish for an upcoming tournament and towards the end of the day when the fishing got slow I noticed what looked like some gunk over the DR logo. I went to pick this off with my nail and soon found myself peeling off the DR logo. Because it was the second time I used this rod I decided to send it back.

The second rod that arrived had problems as well before I even took the tags off. So I decided to call the manufacturer and see if the peeling on the first rod was of major concern because despite that defect it was in better shape then the replacement that was sent to me. Dobyns was great with their customer service and insisted I send both rods back in exchange for a third rod. The third rod arrives and the immediate thing I notice is that there is a gap between the real seat and the cork. I then notice that the guide at the tip is not flush with the wrap but instead appears to be jammed onto the wrap and catches your nail. It is also bent slightly forward because of this and not straight in line with the blank. I have $100 rods that do not have issues like this. Nevertheless I figure I'm over it and will keep the rod if it works.

Well.. after pulling the plastic off the cork and cutting the tags, I notice a crack in the cork on the reel seat that got larger as I ran my finger over it. Now I'm just discouraged by the fact that I have to comb over my $300 rod for what I consider big manufacturer defects. I'm considering just going with a different manufacturer, however they don't seem to offer a comparable rod with the Dobyns features that I like.

Despite all of this I like the overall design, look, and feel of the Dobyns but this whole experience just feels ridiculous to me. I'm wondering if anyone can chime in with their two cents.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Disappointed with my dx702 experience

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:49 pm

I've experienced the same issue on two rods myself with the DR logo scrape off...both rods were prior to the tangle free guides and the new fish logo...the other imperfections drive me insane and are found on nearly all factory rods. I've spent a small fortune returning rods for these sloppy details (Megabass/Dobyns/St Croix/Loomis mainly)...Kistlers recent offering have been good, I've only had an issue I couldn't overlook on 2 of 8 rods I bought...In the end I've given up, sold everything, and started making my own rods...I got sick of oppening rod tubes, looking over a rod and thinking...@%$# me.

As unfunny as it isn't, the DX702 I had was as perfect as could be...

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 pm

I've got a bunch of Dobyns rods and don't have problems. Years ago, I had a ring insert pop out of a frame but that was probably my fault. A little superglue fixed that right up. I think I would give them (Dobyns) a call again to let them know what's up with the rod. As we've seen many times on this forum, and you've already experienced, they are committed to customer service. To save time, I'd probably take pictures now. That way, if they ask, you could email them the pics right away.

It is weird that the tip was messed up. When you got the rod, did it have a neoprene type material cover on the tip with 'Dobyns' written on it? The rods that I get from online retailer, The Hook Up Tackle, come in a plastic bag with a tip cover on it. Since those covers say Dobyns on them, I've always assumed that they come that way from Dobyns to the retailers. Rods I've seen in the local showrooms don't have the plastic bags or tip covers. I always thought the local shops unwrapped them before putting them on the display rack. Anyways, with that protective cover on it, I'd imagine it'd be hard to get damaged.

Anyways, I'd call them up and explain the situation.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

This situation has me scratching my head. I have well over a dozen Dobyns rods and four are Extremes with zero problems, not one. I don't know what to say other than you contact the headquarters, speak with Richard and you may get Gary, and lay it all out. If there is a quality control issue, Dobyns will be the first to want to know. Their service and commitment to the customer is some of the best in the industry and I don't see them leaving you with a rod that fails to meet your and their standards.

P413
Angler
Angler

Post by P413 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:57 pm

I had a very similar experience with a dx744. I had bought a dx743, loved the feel and looks and was going to go all dobyns but I had to go through 4 returns on my 744 for various problems and it became a real hassle. I didn't say much on this forum because I don't think people would believe me, seems like a lot of fans on here. Had issues with misaligned guide, poor cork, inch long scratches on the blank, etc. I still have a dx744 and a 795SBMT, but I moved over to the NRX even though I read on here about a lot of quality issues with them. For me, it was the complete opposite, I wanted to stick with dobyns but I had too many issues, so I went to NRX. I will say, dobyns has excellent customer service and are great family people, I was just a little disappointed too. But, I'm about to order a 807magSB, dobyns has the best swimbait rods in my opinion, so I will give them another chance.

ipeeinmywetsuit
Angler
Angler

Post by ipeeinmywetsuit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:I've experienced the same issue on two rods myself with the DR logo scrape off...both rods were prior to the tangle free guides and the new fish logo...the other imperfections drive me insane and are found on nearly all factory rods. I've spent a small fortune returning rods for these sloppy details (Megabass/Dobyns/St Croix/Loomis mainly)...Kistlers recent offering have been good, I've only had an issue I couldn't overlook on 2 of 8 rods I bought...In the end I've given up, sold everything, and started making my own rods...I got sick of oppening rod tubes, looking over a rod and thinking...@%$# me.

As unfunny as it isn't, the DX702 I had was as perfect as could be...
Yeah and a lot of these defects are minor that I am noticing. They may end up being problems in the future or they may not. For the kind of money that I have spent however, these little things are starting to drive me crazy as well. I think that its horrible that we give up though. If enough people don't bring this stuff to the companies attention, the result is that these defects become status quo and because we come to expect them on our product we don't expect more from the manufacturer. It's a downward spiral in which we pay more for a less than adequate product man!! Sucks.
civicrr wrote:I've got a bunch of Dobyns rods and don't have problems. Years ago, I had a ring insert pop out of a frame but that was probably my fault. A little superglue fixed that right up. I think I would give them (Dobyns) a call again to let them know what's up with the rod. As we've seen many times on this forum, and you've already experienced, they are committed to customer service. To save time, I'd probably take pictures now. That way, if they ask, you could email them the pics right away.

It is weird that the tip was messed up. When you got the rod, did it have a neoprene type material cover on the tip with 'Dobyns' written on it? The rods that I get from online retailer, The Hook Up Tackle, come in a plastic bag with a tip cover on it. Since those covers say Dobyns on them, I've always assumed that they come that way from Dobyns to the retailers. Rods I've seen in the local showrooms don't have the plastic bags or tip covers. I always thought the local shops unwrapped them before putting them on the display rack. Anyways, with that protective cover on it, I'd imagine it'd be hard to get damaged.

Anyways, I'd call them up and explain the situation.
The tip was definitely passed through the factory this way. It's like they pushed it down onto the wrap and it split the wrap so that its not a flush meeting between the two but instead the wrap sticks out and you can see it and feel it with your finger nail (if that makes sense). The guide itself is also not straight up and down with the blank but angled forward. The first rod did not come with the tip cover but the second and third did. I'm for sure going to contact them tomorrow. The person who sent me the third rod was with Dobyns and told me he hand picked the rod. I just feel bad that I'm going to contact him and say, "listen you hand picked it and it has quite a few issues.."
Dink Dawg wrote:This situation has me scratching my head. I have well over a dozen Dobyns rods and four are Extremes with zero problems, not one. I don't know what to say other than you contact the headquarters, speak with Richard and you may get Gary, and lay it all out. If there is a quality control issue, Dobyns will be the first to want to know. Their service and commitment to the customer is some of the best in the industry and I don't see them leaving you with a rod that fails to meet your and their standards.
Will do. Thanks for the responses guys.

P413
Angler
Angler

Post by P413 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 pm

hey civicrr, I know it doesn't make sense, but I've had two DX rods with problems at the tip. Both had an inch long scratch and I noticed them as soon as I took off the neoprene tip guard right out of the rod tube. I thought it was really strange unless this happened before the tip was placed on it. I sent one rod back but the dx744 that I still have, I ended up putting a light coat of Lumiseal to hide and cover the scratch, got tired of sending rods back, I felt guilty and didn't want to come off as being too picky. Maybe others have seen this too?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm sure that the wraps on the tiptop on put on after it is glued on. If the threads on on top the metal, that means they wrapped onto the top of the tip top. I checked five rods that I have here at home including my DX02SF. On all of them, the actual ceramic ring is angled forward a little, not perpendicular to the blank, sort of mimicking the single foot guides. In my case, it sure looks like it is supposed to be like that. Does the rest of the tip frame appear symmetrical? I'm thinking it was a bad tip. BTW, all of mine have finish, not threads but finish, that overlaps onto the tiptop a little. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.

P413, I've never a rod with a finish defect. Not saying it didn't happen to you but I haven't seen it. t did receive one from a retailer where the plastic bag was also cut close to perpendicular to the blank. There was a minor scratch which you only would find if you were inspecting the rod very carefully. I can only assume it was from a box cutter or pair of scissors. I sent it back and received another perfect rod. I didn't bring that up before because I'm guessing it happened at the retailer as I see no reason for Dobyns to be opening them like that.

I would most definitely bring these things to the attention of Dobyns. Seems to me they don't want their rods to have problems. If they don't know about them, how can they make sure they don't happen.

ipeeinmywetsuit
Angler
Angler

Post by ipeeinmywetsuit » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 am

civicrr wrote:I'm sure that the wraps on the tiptop on put on after it is glued on. If the threads on on top the metal, that means they wrapped onto the top of the tip top. I checked five rods that I have here at home including my DX02SF. On all of them, the actual ceramic ring is angled forward a little, not perpendicular to the blank, sort of mimicking the single foot guides. In my case, it sure looks like it is supposed to be like that. Does the rest of the tip frame appear symmetrical? I'm thinking it was a bad tip. BTW, all of mine have finish, not threads but finish, that overlaps onto the tiptop a little. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.

P413, I've never a rod with a finish defect. Not saying it didn't happen to you but I haven't seen it. t did receive one from a retailer where the plastic bag was also cut close to perpendicular to the blank. There was a minor scratch which you only would find if you were inspecting the rod very carefully. I can only assume it was from a box cutter or pair of scissors. I sent it back and received another perfect rod. I didn't bring that up before because I'm guessing it happened at the retailer as I see no reason for Dobyns to be opening them like that.

I would most definitely bring these things to the attention of Dobyns. Seems to me they don't want their rods to have problems. If they don't know about them, how can they make sure they don't happen.
Its not the actual ceramic ring on the guide that appears bent its the whole guide that is angled. I took some photo's this morning that illustrate this a little better. The ones of of the tip are somewhat blurry but they show the overlap of the wrap onto the guide as well as the weird angle it is at.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:49 am

You're not the only one in the boat with QC issues on your rods. There are a lot of pro staffers on pretty much all the fishing forums you can find, and it's a shame that rather than helping you find a solution to your problem they will just accuse you of bashing.

I had the same experience with my Dobyns when the earlier G2 rods came out. I went through rod after rod, and finally after the 4th Champion 734C, I Just went with a Powell 734C that was PERFECT. Every Powell rod I have ever purchased was perfect right off the rack...now, I've sold off every single Powell rod because I couldn't handle how tip heavy they all were, but their QC is spot on.

A friend of mine on the pro staff let me know that there was a second batch of Dobyns coming out, and that these have improved guides and greater QC; so I ended up purchasing a few. The ones that I did buy were all perfect, but I did have an issue with my DX 795 FLIP. I ended up sending 2 of them back, and the third one was just "acceptable."

I've had issues with the cork, the guides, and the blank being really crooked...but I've stuck it through and I've come out with a whole arsenal of Dobyns rods that are pretty darn good now.

It's a crazy game...you think that for spending the kind of money we do that we'd get something that reflected its price, but we don't...

Anyway. Definitely give the guys at the Dobyns shop a call and try to work it out with them. They definitely are great guys to deal with.

ipeeinmywetsuit
Angler
Angler

Post by ipeeinmywetsuit » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:58 am

godshippy wrote:You're not the only one in the boat with QC issues on your rods. There are a lot of pro staffers on pretty much all the fishing forums you can find, and it's a shame that rather than helping you find a solution to your problem they will just accuse you of bashing.

I had the same experience with my Dobyns when the earlier G2 rods came out. I went through rod after rod, and finally after the 4th Champion 734C, I Just went with a Powell 734C that was PERFECT. Every Powell rod I have ever purchased was perfect right off the rack...now, I've sold off every single Powell rod because I couldn't handle how tip heavy they all were, but their QC is spot on.

A friend of mine on the pro staff let me know that there was a second batch of Dobyns coming out, and that these have improved guides and greater QC; so I ended up purchasing a few. The ones that I did buy were all perfect, but I did have an issue with my DX 795 FLIP. I ended up sending 2 of them back, and the third one was just "acceptable."

I've had issues with the cork, the guides, and the blank being really crooked...but I've stuck it through and I've come out with a whole arsenal of Dobyns rods that are pretty darn good now.

It's a crazy game...you think that for spending the kind of money we do that we'd get something that reflected its price, but we don't...

Anyway. Definitely give the guys at the Dobyns shop a call and try to work it out with them. They definitely are great guys to deal with.
For sure.. I already sent out an email to the guy I've been dealing with. I'm by no means trying to bash Dobyns. I love their rods, especially my swimbait models. I don't want another brand of spinning rod because the weight and sensitivity of this finesse rod is unlike any other rod I've handled but at a certain point I feel like its a waste of my time and the manufacturers.

JordanC
Angler
Angler

Post by JordanC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:12 am

I have a few Dobyns spinning rods dx742, dx743 and champ 702sf. I just went to the garage and checked the angle of the top guide and all 3 of my rods tips are on a slight angle facing up just like the picture you posted. If you follow the angle of the guides going from the bottom to top you will notice that they all are slighty angled up and on my rods they all follow a similar angle. I am sure this is by design but I am just assuming that. I have not experienced any QC issues with my rods but I know that Dobyns will stand behind their product and do the right thing for you. I would call and speak with them and I'm sure they could explain whether or not the tip is like that by design or defect and you could go from there.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:15 am

I thought about buying a Dobyn rod many times, but just as I am getting ready to pull the trigger I read this kind of post
Its really discouraging to say the least.
We all gave the guy a second chance to change the factory and country of origin , but the song remains the same.
He should get rid of his QC staff and start again.
I know he is a nice person, and I am sure he wants to do the right thing , but I think his chances for redemption are limited now.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 am

JordanC wrote:I have a few Dobyns spinning rods dx742, dx743 and champ 702sf. I just went to the garage and checked the angle of the top guide and all 3 of my rods tips are on a slight angle facing up just like the picture you posted. If you follow the angle of the guides going from the bottom to top you will notice that they all are slighty angled up and on my rods they all follow a similar angle. I am sure this is by design but I am just assuming that. I have not experienced any QC issues with my rods but I know that Dobyns will stand behind their product and do the right thing for you. I would call and speak with them and I'm sure they could explain whether or not the tip is like that by design or defect and you could go from there.
I have two Dobyns spinning rods, and two baitcasters, all of them 1 or 2 power, and haven't had any problems with any of them.
But, if I did, I'd call the Dobyns shop. Gary or Richard will take care of it.

wiscmike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscmike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:18 pm

Pegasus ,
There have been many , many , rod issues throughout the industry with some major problems. The thing that sets Dobyns apart is they actually stepped forward and actively addressed the 1st generation rod issue and took care of them. I can't name another company that has admitted issues with there product , there fault or not. Dobyns could have taken the easy way out and just turned there backs on there dealers or worse yet there customers. They did not , will not, and in this cosmetic issue I'm very doubtful they will either. Call them , problem solved.