Zillion Flipping rod users?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion Flipping rod users?

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Mentioned this in another post, but I think it got buried in all the steez rod discussion...

Opinions on the Zillion Flipping rod 7-6 Heavy? Have a chance to pick one up for basically Tatula rod price, but have read previous posts on the Zillion rods being heavy to rating - any users that can comment on the accuracy of the rating, likes/dislikes, etc? - thanks

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion Flipping rod users?

Post by 78Staff » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 am

Dang all kinds of replies on the steez rods, but no Zillion users?

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:54 am

I had the 7ft6 Zillion flipping stick for about a year and a half....It was for sure a stout stick...I pitched a little bit, but never flipped with it ......I mostly used it for dragging 3/4-1ounce footballs in deeper water and it worked pretty well for that....The sensitivity was just ok and i found the reel seat to be a little uncomfortable(biggest reason i got rid of it)...it was rated up to 1 1/2 ounces and im sure it would have no problem with that..i found it to be a little tip heavy, so i ended up pitting weight in the butt section....

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:50 am

I have 3 of these and really like them. I mainly use them for flippin. I like how stout they are. I usually have one riggid with 20 lb Flouro, one with 25 lb flouro and one with braid with flouro leader. I will used weights for 5/16 to 1.5 oz.

I have never had a problem with sensitivity with these rods. I pair them with Zillion and they balance nicely as expected. I think the power rating is spot on. Heavy rod that to me is not to heavy in hand and has power to pull fish out of nasty cover.

If you can get it for a Tatula price I would jump on it. If for some reason you don't like it you can sell it for what you pay for it or a little more.

Good luck

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 pm

The reel seat is uncomfortable in my hands. I used the 7'6" Zillion flipping stick for several months and really wanted to like it, but the way I held the rod/reel, it just didn't work for me. If you can pick one up for Tatula rod pricing, it may be a good buy, but if it's not comfortable in your hands, it might as well be free and you still won't be happy with it when fishing. Take a reel to the shop where you're getting this deal, spool it up, and go in the parking lot and pitch, flip, and cast a jig for a few minutes. If it feels good, grab it.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 pm

I have this rod since the year it came out. I would call it an accurate heavy flipping rod. I have used it for flipping, pitching, punching, frogging and heavy jigs. I primarily fish it with 50-65# braid. I think it is a great rod and would recommend it for that price.
Last edited by DUZBASS on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 pm

bronzefly wrote:The reel seat is uncomfortable in my hands.
X2. When the Zillion rods first came out, I picked up the 7'6" and used it the next day in a tournament. I was throwing 3/4oz football jigs with it. By the end of the day, my finger that was in contact with the "finger" of material that comes down into the exposed blank portion of the grip was RAW.
Part of the problem is the rougher texture of the Zaion material. I had a Steez Hustler with the same grip but it was painted glossy which made it more comfortable but still not a grip/handle of choice for me.

I was very dissapointed to see this reel seat on the Tatula rods. ](*,)

IMO, after seeing how the Tatula rod spec'd out in the review(4oz for the 7'2"H rod), I would personally opt for the Tatula rod out of the two if you are set on getting one of them.
Newer blank construction and a potentially more comfortable reel seat. Also the Zillion rods that I handled all had a pretty stiff tip, and I have read that the Tatula rods have a softer tip with still a ton of backbone. Again that is a personal preferance of mine to have a softer tip on a rod.

sktr22
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sktr22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:47 am

I own 3 of these rods.

I mainly use them for big shakey heads and deep football jigs. 1/2 oz + They work great for these applications and tis the reason I have 3 of them.

I can also use them for flipping and pitching to heavy cover without fear not being able to move the fish as needed. IMO they do tend to be a bit more stiffer than your average heavy rod..but that is the reason that I enjoy them. As mentioned above they will work as a C-rig rod, Froggin, small swimbait, and even as a A-rig rod.

As far as the reel seat goes...well I dont see issue one with it, as it is, yes the Zaion material is a bit rough at first, but if you looked at mine after the years of service, they look slick and polished. I am sure someone with soft hands would find the handle abrasive and uncomfortable at first.

If you can pick one up at Tatula pricing that is a good deal. Know that the Zillion rods are/have declined in resale. That rod used might not get you back 125.00 and probably even less by the years end. The upside is the components are much better on the Zillion compared to the Tatula..but then again we always find a reason to get new rods after a couple of seasons on them.

Overall they are a great rod. I own several Zillions in different lengths. I do not think you would be dissappointed in the purchase. Well as long as you dont have soft hands.....LOL

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:34 am

sktr22 wrote:Well as long as you dont have soft hands.....LOL
8-[ Hey, women love my soft hands, you j@rk. :lol:

Aren't you the one that that bought all those Ballistic rods?? :laugh1:

Don't everyone get all hyped up now, just having some fun...

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:41 pm

bronzefly wrote:The reel seat is uncomfortable in my hands. I used the 7'6" Zillion flipping stick for several months and really wanted to like it, but the way I held the rod/reel, it just didn't work for me. If you can pick one up for Tatula rod pricing, it may be a good buy, but if it's not comfortable in your hands, it might as well be free and you still won't be happy with it when fishing. Take a reel to the shop where you're getting this deal, spool it up, and go in the parking lot and pitch, flip, and cast a jig for a few minutes. If it feels good, grab it.
This is where personal preference really comes into play cause I wish all my reel seats were made from this :lol:

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Same here; I love the reel seat. Makes the reel feel smaller in hand.

spotsucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spotsucker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:18 am

I have two of these rods and really like them. They feel very comfortable at the handle to pitch and punch all day. Very stout stick ,more xtra heavy than heavy and extra fast action. The only thing with them is that I am going more towards heavy power/Moderate actions in the punching/pitching rods I've been fishing with lately. Heavy power/ Parabolic action loses less fish during full contact karate for me. I had a couple of rods custom built that are 7'11" heavy power/mod. heavy action with a 16 inch handle that handle 1/2 ounce to 1 1/2 ounce well. I know, sounds a little offside but it really works for me!

Just my humble opimion.

Andy

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks all, sounds like a good rod but I went with a GLX instead so it't still sitting there if anyone in NE Florida is interested... not sure if mentioning the store breaks any rules? I guess I could post it in Hot Deals, now that I think about it, along with the Steez deal.

sktr22
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sktr22 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:
sktr22 wrote:Well as long as you dont have soft hands.....LOL

Aren't you the one that that bought all those Ballistic rods?? :laugh1:

Yes, yes I am. (hangs head in shame)

That was the greatest lesson ever, No more purchases due to brand loyalty.

I hate you just a lil for remembering that......and also ...well done =D> LOL...it is good to have fun.