Steez Rods - value at lower cost?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez Rods - value at lower cost?

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 pm

I like the Steez XBD Frog Rod, not so much as a frog rod, but it does make a nice jig and worm rod. I think there are far better rods for the money, but it's the "pick of the litter" of the Steez rod lineup in my opinion, and I've fished a lot of Steez rods over the years. The 7' medium Flex Lite is also a pretty nice stick, but again, priced out of the market in terms of my own cost to performance ratio :lol:

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I like my 7 foot flexlight and got it second hand. It is a nice rod for two and a half but I would not have paid the 500 Msrp. I got based on the TT reviews. Maybe I just got lucky.

Tino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tino » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Black Haze wrote:
USA-RET wrote:
Black Haze wrote:yes, i would say the blank is probably on par with the IMX......F
Personally I think you are far too kind. :lol:
your right..... :lol: ok a GL2, maybe...
I must have enhanced my senses with special Spider-Man powers !!!! :mrgreen:

I use the 8ft compile x rod with 80lbs samurai braid and have never felt that I couldn't detect a bite !!!! The rod gets better after a big girl eats your bait and you give her the business. It will keep her pin to the structure and she is going for a boat ride.

I remember watching a bassmaster event in FL where Ish was catching giants flipping reeds with a black/blue jigs on the 8ft compile x rod and never lost one.

I also own the compile 7.1ft, I spool it with 15lbs seaguar invizx and I can fell a fish farting on it. I love this rod for 3/8 & 1/2 jigs.

I think you should judge a rod not just by the sensitivity but by the whole package ... Sensitivity - how it feels in your hand - how it balance and most importantly how the rod handles the fish after you hook it ...

If anyone want to sell their steez for 2 Benjamin's please let me know. :big grin:

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:22 am

When they first came out, I had picked up the 7'MH, 7'1 Compile X and the Compile-X spinning stick. I loved the spinning stick, but wound up selling it and grabbing an NRX when they were released. I'm still looking for one for a steal. If I still fished casting gear more than once a year, I'd still love the 7'0 for spinnerbaits, but would not give up my 843GLX for it. There are better options now, lots of variations and better materials for price, ESPECIALLY that price point.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 am

spookybaits wrote:I've read a lot of opinions on Steez rods(been considering buying some since they came out) and it seems the only one that's universally loved is the frog rod.

My 2cents:
One of these days I'm going to get the frog rod (and maybe one of the cranking rods), but I'm waiting to find em at a good price.
I'm not saying they aren't worth the asking price, but.. if I was gonna pay $400+ for the Steez frog rod, I'd probably just get another x4 destruction. It's more versatile.
For me, I just really like the air beam reel seat on the Steez rods. I find them really comfy. And quite attractive with the flip flop colors.
I had thought about the frog rod also, but at the price point, not so much. Also not so apt to set myself for another expensive disappointment. With such divergent opinions on that rod line, one should error on the side of caution (unless you've test fished the rod and love it). You'll see other rod lines discussed without so many polar opposite opinions. NRX, GLX, MB Destroyer, MB X4, Omen/Envy, St. Croix, Evergreen, etc.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 am

I have a lot of steez rods... This past season I had ton's of QC issues with them. I want to love them, but I just don't anymore, and especially at their cost. I think they have the intended actions nailed, everything else seems to be a toss up. My compile-x's don't have the qc issues, but the sensitivity just isn't there for me for the cost, not even close.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Their warranty is top notch though!

I had to replace my 8'er and it was a breeze.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 pm

EJP1234 wrote:I have a lot of steez rods... This past season I had ton's of QC issues with them. I want to love them, but I just don't anymore, and especially at their cost. I think they have the intended actions nailed, everything else seems to be a toss up. My compile-x's don't have the qc issues, but the sensitivity just isn't there for me for the cost, not even close.
Mind sharing what qc issues you had, and on which particular rods?

making waves
Angler
Angler

Post by making waves » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:23 am

Agreed, the tatula is a very similar rod at a much more affordable price, under 120 bucks. There is a good article here about the tatula and they give them the best value award.
Ron

bamarico
Angler
Angler

Post by bamarico » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:21 am

I have owned several steez rods over the last few years. Bottom contact is not their strong suit. The 7'4 frog rod is nice, just a bit tip heavy in my opinion. Not much there to walk a frog. I never found a good use for the 7'1 heavy compile x. I currently have a few of the svf 7' medium heavy rods. they are perfect for chatterbaits, buzz baits, spinnerbaits. If you can find these rods either used or on sale, they are a great deal. But at retail price points, not worth it in my opinion.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:43 pm

my 8' compile-x is still one of my favorite rods. it's pretty much a flipping and punching rod.

i also have two 7'1" compile- x's. never had a problem with their sensitivity. gave them to my son though because i now use two custom phenix k2's for the same techniques (jgs and t-rigs)

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

steez rods all the way.
I own more steez than nrx . I need 2 more steez to complete my arsenal, they are 802 and 721.

Two rods best backed by their companies: steez and cumura.

I did break some rods, now never worry about broken rods again. Fish with confidence and relax.

Bye bye megabass, bye bye st croix, bye bye dobyns. your warranties are just jokes (dobyns is a lot better than first two).
and that is why your re-sale value is low.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:47 pm

It isn't a steez, but I have the tatula rod and I find it lacks in sensitivity. I can't tell what the bottom is made out of 90% of the time. I can't even feel the paddling of a swimbait. This is with 30# braid. I can easily feel these things with other rod even with mono. :?

Just bought a 13 omen to replace it.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:It isn't a steez, but I have the tatula rod and I find it lacks in sensitivity. I can't tell what the bottom is made out of 90% of the time. I can't even feel the paddling of a swimbait. This is with 30# braid. I can easily feel these things with other rod even with mono. :?

I've found the opposite with my Tatula rod. It's not on par with a KLX and not even in the discussion with rods like an Edge or NRX. For the $120 I paid, it's a great rod. I haven't had any issues feeling what's going on down there. I have 15lb Tatsu on one and 8lb sniper on the other, both work well.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 am

tywithay wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:It isn't a steez, but I have the tatula rod and I find it lacks in sensitivity. I can't tell what the bottom is made out of 90% of the time. I can't even feel the paddling of a swimbait. This is with 30# braid. I can easily feel these things with other rod even with mono. :?

I've found the opposite with my Tatula rod. It's not on par with a KLX and not even in the discussion with rods like an Edge or NRX. For the $120 I paid, it's a great rod. I haven't had any issues feeling what's going on down there. I have 15lb Tatsu on one and 8lb sniper on the other, both work well.
same here...i got 2 tatula rods and both r used for reaction baits...one for square bill and other for jerking...LOVE THEM