What is hands down the MOST...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What is hands down the MOST...

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:41 am

FrankW wrote:Hi BlaineFred,

It is great that you are doing some testing but I doubt you will achieve any conclusive results useful for others. Your test is too limited and every rod, reel, line and bait should be tested on the exact same medium. We will just end up with what rods you judge to be more sensitive. Again it would be based on your opinion. Casting into a reservoir means that every cast will probably be feeling something different. To do this right you would need a test bed so you know that every time a lure is dragged over the medium it would feel the exact same thing. With such a test bed you will need many different people repeating the test and it should be so the tester doesn't know what rod they are testing.

I am not saying what you are doing is not useful to you but it is not a comprehensive test that will answer what rod is the most sensitive for others. I look forward to your opinion of the rods you are using.

Frank
Frank...Regarding the test bed that you refer to, I should have made it clear that I do not fish the entire reservoir, but ONLY a short 30-40 yard stretch. Thus, in effect, I am using a test bed of sorts. I am trying to test the rods where everything is exactly the same except the rod itself. Thus I am eliminating many variables.

It helps that the short stretch of reservoir is shady, so I am not in the hot sun.

Regards,

Fred

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:05 am

I suspect that by "test bed" he meant something laid out so that every rod tested would have whatever is tied to the line encounter exactly the same obstacles in the same sequence. Envision a big washboard laid out with the grooves perpendicular to the line of retrieve, with a perfectly smooth dowel rod glued on top of and parallel to one groove to provide a variation in sensation as the thing at the end of the line is pulled across this test bed. Obviously, one does not get that uniformity in fishing a 30-40 yard stretch (unless it is all level, clean sand, in which case there isn't much to sense).

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 am

Bronzeye wrote:I suspect that by "test bed" he meant something laid out so that every rod tested would have whatever is tied to the line encounter exactly the same obstacles in the same sequence. Envision a big washboard laid out with the grooves perpendicular to the line of retrieve, with a perfectly smooth dowel rod glued on top of and parallel to one groove to provide a variation in sensation as the thing at the end of the line is pulled across this test bed. Obviously, one does not get that uniformity in fishing a 30-40 yard stretch (unless it is all level, clean sand, in which case there isn't much to sense).
Bronzeye is correct. His suggestion for a test bed would be a pretty good one. What ever it was the idea is to test every rod over the exact same conditions. This is the only way to compare one rod to another. If someone did some type of controlled test we would probably find that a few rods are not sensitive but the majority would all be able to read the test bed. The only way to determine the most sensitive of the sensitive would be a blind test to eliminate brand loyalties.

Frank

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 am

Dobyns DX 742, you can feel fish fart. LOL...

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:22 am

My Orochi XX's. For comparison I fish/fished with Dobyns Champs, MB XX, MB Power Versatile, Loomis Gl2, Shimano Compre, Abu Veritas, and have used my dads Cumaras. I plan on adding a Dobyns DX or two to the lineup and may flirt with an NRX 893 after hearing all the praise.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Bringing up an old thread since so many new rods have hit the market

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:23 am

NRX 893 the most sensitive. Right behind with almost the same sensitivity are Megabass X7 Super elsail, Super Eigler, Phase III bearing down and Nautilus. I also had an NRX 842 for a time and in my hands was less sensitive than those Megabass rods.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 am

NRX

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 am

My Point Blank 701mf feels pretty incredible.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 am

the most senstive rod ive fished is the NRX 852s. Ive never fished the 893...

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 am

Still NRX for me.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm

NRX and new GLX for me.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm

NRX or NFC MB 705 HM

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 pm

My Diawa Racing Design AGS rods is my top dogs right now.

So sensitive, I can feel the bass looking at my lure as I move it. And (when dead sticking) I can pickup/feel background noise (cosmic microwaves) emanating from the Big Bang throughout the bank, Lol.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 am

ayo8 wrote:My Diawa Racing Design AGS rods is my top dogs right now.

So sensitive, I can feel the bass looking at my lure as I move it. And (when dead sticking) I can pickup/feel background noise (cosmic microwaves) emanating from the Big Bang throughout the bank, Lol.
Nah, you're probably confusing the CMB with Cherenkov radiation from cosmic rays. It's okay. Easy mistake.
This is the way.