Stick length

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stick length

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:20 pm

You are correct, it was O.T. Fears.
I don't know who he is or was but it was my first true c/b rod. Its what I learned on shallow to med depth. I was stationed some where else when I got it. Since that time its has been my sq/b rod and trap saver. I can recall situations that I would hook a bass on a long cast with a different rod and it would come unbuttoned halfway to the boat. After about the third fish I would used the exact same bait and I'd bring everyone of them back to the boat. I've considered selling it but just hadn't got to it. I've been thinking about sending it to someone to put small guides on it..
As of late I've been using pointer 100's on it.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:22 pm

OT Fears was a professional fisherman on the BASS tournament trail in the late 80's early 90's. He was sponsored by Quarrow. I believe the company was in Oklahoma which is where Fears was from at the time. He made about $500,000 during his career. He won the Red Man All American in 1987. I lost track of him in 2008.

Crankbaitmaker

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:My Scorpions are 10 years old and still throwing well enough for me. They have definitely proven themselves. To me.... spending over $500 for a reel just to throw a crankbait is not worth the money and I will leave the "bling" (what a cute word) thing to Rappers. At the tournaments here on High Rock, NOBODY cares what your equipment is. They only care that you paid your entry fees to increase the pot.
Then a more ubiquitous and common CU 100D would be less "bling" than your Scorpion or CH MG 50, no? It is all relative based upon the user. And agreed, $500 is not needed, and obviously WAY overkill, as an investment on a reel that will last well over a couple of decades, let alone 10 years.
Crankbaitmaker wrote:Why do you really need a round reel that is capable of pulling a house off of a foundation just to catch a bass? To me that is nothing but hype. Last time I checked..... I control the speed of the reel. I don't depend on the gear ratio of the reel to control my crankbait, only the feel of the lure and my instincts. I own a pristine Shimano GTB. It is an excellent reel. However, I will be selling it. To me round reels are too bulky and too heavy to throw all day. The round reels that are under 8 oz. are just too expensive and not worth the money in my book. But.... to each his own. Rick Clunn, Paul Elias, KVD, and David Fritts seem to be pretty hard core crankbait fishermen to me. I have never seen a round reel on any of their rods. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
I don't pay attention to what "pros" use and don't care...most of the hard core crankers I know back in CA and down south/southeast, prefer reels like the Calcutta, Luna/Millionaire, older gen Lew's BB1 (lower gear ratio BTW and a pseudo round reel/low profile design) and Ambassadeurs with gear ratios under 6.0:1 for their cranking work, especially deep. The line capacity alone is a distinct advantage over the CU D/Scorpion 1000/CH MG 50 frame that you are using. Also, if I needed to pull a house off its foundation with my gear, that is the work of my rod/line, and not necessarily the reel. ;)

For me, I have no issues using reels the size of the MG50 or Scorpion 1000 for cranks of 6-8ft and upwards of 1/2oz (I use my Pixy Type R for this right now, but still feel the IPTs are a little high). Any bigger than that, say even a 3/4oz + shallow square bill or a 3/4oz + lipless to a deep diver, I am grabbing a lower gear ratio reel with more line capacity (granted my Z2020H loses nothing for power, IPTs and durability for burning 1oz lipless and other big lures).

For me personally on deep cranks, IPTs, speed of crank, and spool capacity (especially on a long cast) are all important components of feeling the bait and guiding it over, through and past structure, cover, rocks, etc. I prefer the consistency, feel and power of a lower gear ratio round reel for this tech overall. Same as for slow-rolling 1-2oz deep spinnerbaits.

Again, preference and my two cents. 8-)

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 am

I use rod lengths from 5 1/2' to 7 1/2' . It just depends on what area of the lake & what pattern I am going to fish. I carry rods in the following lengths every time my boat leaves the ramp. 5 1/2, 6, 6 1/2, 7, & 7 1/2. They vary in line weight & action So I can change as needed.

brwn_bggr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brwn_bggr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:59 am

There is no discounting the merrits of using a longer rod at times,as many have shown...even if for no other reason than producing and protecting a solid hook set...having said that...I dont have a rod longer than 7-1...and I think my magic number is probably 6-9...in the region I fish,the average bass is in the pound and a half range...with a very large one showing up around five pounds...I don't fish deeper than 8 or 10 feet with cb's...so I can't see me ever going to longer rods...I'm sure, ymmv...!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 am

how many 6'9"
or 6'10" rods do you have?

What is the shortest rod in your collection?

brwn_bggr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brwn_bggr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 am

goldrod wrote:how many 6'9"
or 6'10" rods do you have?

What is the shortest rod in your collection?
4 St. Croixs and a 13 fishing...my shortest is a 6'4" that was once a 6'8"...grin! Not much tip left(grinning some more)...but it works well for getting under the trees when we fish rivers...I am on the fence of getting a 6'0" for that purpose...