Anyone used the new Gander GSX Elite?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Anyone used the new Gander GSX Elite?

Post by tywithay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4006

Felt these rods in the store and they feel pretty dang nice for the money. Specs are outrageous for the price. They're designed by 13 Fishing and utilitize 40 Ton Toray Graphite, Titanium framed guides (though the inserts appear to be aluminum oxide), and they have a nice custom reel seat that feels pretty good. Just curious if anyone has any on the water experience with any of these? The one I picked up felt slightly heavy and a little tip heavy, but I didn't have a reel mounted and sometimes that doesn't translate to the water either.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone used the new Gander GSX Elite?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Man, I don't know. You get the 40 ton blank which retails for 200 plus with 13, minus the black recoils (that's a real plus in my book), and CORK grips? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Please let us know how it fished should you choose to get one. If these ever go on sale it would be a slammin deal for sure.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Just curious, did they feel like a fast / xtra fast / mod. fast? Also, was the entire blank finished? Fully lacquered, or more like the 13 rods, kinda polished? Thanks

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 am

Its not close to the same as 13. It is not designed by 13, it is made in the same factory that's it. Hold each side by side the difference is huge the GSX Elite feels cheap and not crisp or lively or high quality.. The blank may be 40 ton toray/sokme version of it, but i would guess resins , scrim , and machines used to roll blanks are not the same, and quality control much different. Just look at say a bass pro, pro qualifier reel, same factory as abu revos same specs or better then some revos, absolutely not the same reel or close to it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 am

Gabriel? Help us out buddy. Can you compare the two?

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Hogsticker, thanks for the shout out.
I haven't fished the rods, there is about 3 feet of ice on the lakes still. I do plan on purchasing one eventually but it isn't a priority as I have bought two fairly high dollar combo's this winter (time to sell off the old).

The Envy feels lighter, I think because of the recoils. The blank in my eyes is not the same but as far as "cripness" goes they seem pretty similar. That is just my opinion. The Elites aren't whippy or especially tip heavy compared to any similarly price split grip rod. The rods have the same carbon inlay in the butt of the blank just in different colors. They have a different finish on the upper blank. The Elite seems smoother, it is possibly painted a flat black/dark grey.

The Elites are all labeled Fast actions but a few of the spinning and the Flipping rod could be considered an Extra Fast by some.
To me the rod to handle is the 7'6" Heavy has a surprisingly light tip for the 3/8 minimum lure rating and I think it would load up nicely with a 3/8 total weight lure. Powers and actions seem to hold fairly true, some being on the faster side of fast.

I prefer the reel seats on the Elites, the small skeleton style seats on the Envy tend to make my hands cramp up.

All in all the Elite has what I consider nicer guides, a more comfortable reel seat, similar aesthetics. The quality control has been perfect, of the 60+ Elites that I have handled not one as been shipped with a crooked guide or an obvious defect. I would say there is nothing wrong with saving $100+ dollars and picking up the Elite.

mvb31
Angler
Angler

Post by mvb31 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 pm

I heard about the new GSX Elite through facebook, and drove out to my local Gander Mountain to check them out a week or 2 ago. IMHO, they are very nice rods for the price, but i wouldn't compare them to the ENVY even though they share the same blank. Again, this is just my opinion and from holding them together. I have never fished with either one, so i am just basing it on feel and personal preference. I actually slightly prefer the OMEN over the GSX Elite. However, the GSX Elite are still very nice for it's price, and i do like the black and red theme on it. Interested to see some reviews on how it does out on the water.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 am

Thanks Gabriel. Sounds like they may be worth a shot. When might these go on sale, and at what price?

jy87
Angler
Angler

Post by jy87 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Thanks Gabriel. Sounds like they may be worth a shot. When might these go on sale, and at what price?
They had a sale about 2 weeks ago, buy any $60+ reel and get any gsx rod for 50% off.

Imo the 7'2"mh Omens are heavier and a little more tip heavier than the 7'2''mh gsx elite. This was without a reel mounted on. I couldnt compare the envy since they didnt have the same model as the elites. Gander didnt have many elites in the store at the time i went

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Thanks Gabriel. Sounds like they may be worth a shot. When might these go on sale, and at what price?
I can't see these Rods going on sale by themselves (not with a reel) until June 1rst wich is the deadline for the GSX Tournies and Titaniums (old models) to be liquidated. Who knows right now though. I will be sure to post if I see a good deal.

Gander Mountain brand rods tend to go on sale more than non store brand rods.