St. Croix 7' 3" Big Jig Rod ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St. Croix 7' 3" Big Jig Rod ?

Post by Pegasus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 am

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Dobyn 765 Champion series flipping stick but after reading about guides problems I don't know any more.
I came across this rod 7' 3" Big JIg Rod anybody out there own one of these beasts ? another rod that I was also looking at was their
TBC73MHF which has an initial lure rating of 5/8 0z. which I like since I am not a fan of a rod that has a tip that will load up just with the weight of the jig hanging there, but I worried about the back bone. Since the range of the jig I would probably use would be 3/8 - 3/4. I thought this rod could be the one.
Any comments would be appreciate it.

Regards

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: St. Croix 7' 3" Big Jig Rod ?

Post by civicrr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 am

Pegasus wrote:....... I am not a fan of a rod that has a tip that will load up just with the weight of the jig hanging there, but I worried about the back bone.
Are you saying you don't want the rod tip to flex at all with the weight of a 3/8 - 3/4oz jig?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 am

civicrr wrote:
Pegasus wrote:....... I am not a fan of a rod that has a tip that will load up just with the weight of the jig hanging there, but I worried about the back bone.
Are you saying you don't want the rod tip to flex at all with the weight of a 3/8 - 3/4oz jig?
well if the initial lure weight is 5/8 like I said before a 1/2 oz. jig shouldn't flex the tip and minimal with a 3/4 oz.
I am thinking wrong ?

Regards

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 am

Pegasus St.Croix's big Jig rod is a Xtra-heavy and I found when I had the rod it excelled at 3/4 oz plus. It was heavy in general and the tip did not move on it. My friend uses it as a bucktail rod for muskie fishing. I never had any guide problems with any of my dobyns rods other then when I stepped on them.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Pegasus wrote:
well if the initial lure weight is 5/8 like I said before a 1/2 oz. jig shouldn't flex the tip and minimal with a 3/4 oz.
I am thinking wrong ?

Regards
There is no right or wrong just how you like your rods to feel and/or fish.

Personally, I want the rod to flex/load a bit with the weight of the lure. In my posts, I'll often refer to the 'sweet spot' or sometimes the range of lures I like to fish on a rod. I like the feedback I get from that loading as I feel like it helps me to deliver the lure whether casting or pitching with better accuracy and stealth. Another reason I prefer a bit of tip flex is when detecting light bites. In some situations and/or techniques, that will allow you to detect the bites without alerting the fish.

To put what I'm saying into real world terms, lets say I want to fish a 5" weightless senko. I would normally fish it on a Dobyns Extreme DX743C. I could fish it on my punching rods (either Champion 766 or DX795) ,both of which can easily handle baits up to 2oz, I just wouldn't want to.

Back OT:
I don't have any experience with the current Big Jig. Although I owned the previous generation Big Jig, I would honestly have to say I didn't give it a fair chance. I bought it thinking I would use it for punching way back when, and for me, it didn't fit that need. Having said that, I will say I still trying to learn the whole punching thing so my expectations where probably out of whack.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm

civicrr wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
I am thinking wrong ?

Regards
There is no right or wrong just how you like your rods to feel and/or fish.

Personally, I want the rod to flex/load a bit with the weight of the lure. In my posts, I'll often refer to the 'sweet spot' or sometimes the range of lures I like to fish on a rod. I like the feedback I get from that loading as I feel like it helps me to deliver the lure whether casting or pitching with better accuracy and stealth. Another reason I prefer a bit of tip flex is when detecting light bites. In some situations and/or techniques, that will allow you to detect the bites without alerting the fish.

To put what I'm saying into real world terms, lets say I want to fish a 5" weightless senko. I would normally fish it on a Dobyns Extreme DX743C. I could fish it on my punching rods (either Champion 766 or DX795) ,both of which can easily handle baits up to 2oz, I just wouldn't want to.

Back OT:
I don't have any experience with the current Big Jig. Although I owned the previous generation Big Jig, I would honestly have to say I didn't give it a fair chance. I bought it thinking I would use it for punching way back when, and for me, it didn't fit that need. Having said that, I will say I still trying to learn the whole punching thing so my expectations where probably out of whack.
You know I value you responses greatly along with the ones from Somerdink as well. Was I thinking correctly in assuming that with the initial lure weight of the Caroilna rig rod I mentioned earlier TBC73MHF of 5/8 oz. the tip should be able to hold that weight or near to it without flexing at least initially before the cast.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Pegasus wrote: Was I thinking correctly in assuming that with the initial lure weight of the Caroilna rig rod I mentioned earlier TBC73MHF of 5/8 oz. the tip should be able to hold that weight or near to it without flexing at least initially before the cast.
I'm only guessing since I don't have the rod but I would think that the the tip would flex a little bit. I wouldn't think it would load deeply into the rod though. Hopefully, someone who has the rod will post up.

Looking over my previous post, I think it would be more correct to say I like it when the rod loads or flexes when I cast or pitch. I do think if it will do that (load on the cast) with the lure (weight) I'm using, the tip will be showing some slight deflection/load/flex when it is horizontal & motionless.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 am

I have built and own a number of the 4c73xhf ("big jig" st croixs)

They are VERY powerful, the most powerful bass rods that st croix makes. Work excellent for big jigs 1-1.5 oz, but still will handle some lighter stuff.

They also work good for punching rods. I extend mine to 7'6". Makes for a very powerful rod that still weighs less than 5 oz

flipperjig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flipperjig » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 am

I have the 7'3" MH in the LTB series and it fishes much more like a heavy action. The tip is not flimsy, the rod loads up nice and evenly like you want for a heavy jig or carolina rig rod.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 am

flipperjig wrote:I have the 7'3" MH in the LTB series and it fishes much more like a heavy action. The tip is not flimsy, the rod loads up nice and evenly like you want for a heavy jig or carolina rig rod.
Different rod. The rod your talking about is listed as the "Carolina Rig" on the St. Croix site. It's lure range basically tops out where the "Big Jig" is starting. The OP is asking about the 7'3" XH (TBC73XHF).

Perhaps you were suggesting that the MH would be a better choice for his uses?

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

The XH big jig rod is a absolute beast stick. I dont think thats the rod you want for the jigs your tossing.

flipperjig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flipperjig » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:09 am

Pegasus wrote:another rod that I was also looking at was their
TBC73MHF which has an initial lure rating of 5/8 0z. which I like since I am not a fan of a rod that has a tip that will load up just with the weight of the jig hanging there, but I worried about the back bone. Since the range of the jig I would probably use would be 3/8 - 3/4.
I have been using this rod for the last 5 yrs and it should fit your needs nicely. As I said in my previous post, it loads up evenly and has more power than most heavy rated rods that I have used.