Crucials

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Crucials

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

I fondled some of the new Crucials again tonight and put a Chronarch on a couple. I liked some including the 7'7" MHXF.

I like the reel seat and don't mind the size of the guides b/c I fish PP for the vast majority of my presentations now with a leader. Letting the knot pass through the guides is important.

Are these rods relatively durable? I pretty much baby my rods except for the 7'7" if I were to buy it. I tend to set pretty hard when I get a bite on a Rodent or jig.

Any reasons NOT to buy these rods?

I have some BPS gift cards and can get a couple without much out of pocket expense.

I'm considering 7'2"MHF worm and jig, 7'MH Crank, and 7'7" MHXF Flip.

I use mostly Falcon T7's now but no one around here carries them any more.

Thanks!

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Crucials

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

I had a chance to fish a few crucials and found them tip heavy and i didnt like the shorter eva grip. Might be my personal prefference.

For the same $ look at the Phoenix M1, Dobyns Savy, or Fenwick Aetos.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm

The Cara T7's are heads and shoulders above the Crucial IMO. Actually one of the most sensitive rods I've used for bottom contact baits, and I've used a few. I've never fished a newer Crucial, but while fondling them I found the majority to be bulky and tip heavy. The reel seat I found very comfortable, however could not stand the rear locking mechanism.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Well crap! After looking at the rods that are available at BPS being you are kinda locked in with gift cards, the Crucial may very well be your best option at that price point :-k

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 am

Agreed as to others have stated. I have owned several previous generation Crucials with the cork handles and they are lighter, more sensative, and less tip heavy versus the new and current models. The blanks changed previous Crucials used IM9 blanks versus new and current Crucials uses IM10 blanks. You would think sensativity, weight, and tip heaviness would be less on the higher modulus IM10 blanks but...nope.

However, the Crucial Line of rods are formidable and very good for its price point and are not GLoomis GLX/NRX rods but very good. I highly recommend the rods if it is within your constraints. Until BPS carries Phenix and other less notable but good rod manufacturers, the Crucials are it.

That aside, you cannot beat the Crucials warranty and Shimano Customer Service. I have had absolutely no issues with Shimano for any service and warranty. How many rod manufacturers can you find that would offer limited lifetime warranty on rods under $200 let alone even the Compre ($100 rods) and Clarus ($80 rods) have limited lifetime warranty.

But if BPS is not a limiting factor, I would recommend Phenix M1 as Hog stated and or better yet, 13 Omen Black rods for under $120 rivals even some $200-$300 rods!

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 pm

i have 2 compre's and i love em' 1 spinning 6'8'' MH fast and the other 7' 0'' crank bait med / med fast tc4........ i just look at it this way spend 200 get one decent rod or buy 2 compre's. over the counter warranty plus they are purdy tasty rods all in all.

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 pm

they are solid, and they carry best warranty.
I have 2 crucials and I love them.

Altro Cat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Altro Cat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 am

With few exceptions I have found that most of the Shimano rods over 7 feet feel tip heavy in my hands and do not like them for that reason.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am

I was excited about the new Crucials until I actually held them in the store. They looked like Cumaras, IM-10 like Cumaras, but they sure didn't feel like Cumaras. Honestly, I think Shimano could've done better just by cutting the old cork handles in two, shaving it down for a split grip design, and installing them onto the whole lineup with the same IM9 blank. I would've bought that! Those old Crucials were great rods for the price.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 am

totally agree. the old cork crucials were great rods.
bassninja wrote:I was excited about the new Crucials until I actually held them in the store. They looked like Cumaras, IM-10 like Cumaras, but they sure didn't feel like Cumaras. Honestly, I think Shimano could've done better just by cutting the old cork handles in two, shaving it down for a split grip design, and installing them onto the whole lineup with the same IM9 blank. I would've bought that! Those old Crucials were great rods for the price.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm

yea something just classic about cork the look and feel is nice compared to the foam handles and i will agree that the tips are sorta heavy but alot of that could be how light reels are getting but they should think of an average weight of reels and try to balance it out a bit. my 7 ft crankbait rod feels pretty balanced.