Fresh water rods for inshore?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fresh water rods for inshore?

Post by jrk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Giving thought to trying a St Croix LExtreme. I'd like to use in inshore application as well to get biggest bang for buck. What do you guys think? Bad idea, or stupid question all together?

Thanks

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fresh water rods for inshore?

Post by lpquick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Good idea, I use NRX rods inshore all the time.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:12 pm

If the action, power, and other specs are ideal for what you want to do, use it. The rod won't know the difference. Not even a G. Loomis rod is smart enough to realize its being used for something it was never intended for.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks. Was thinking since there's a distinction made between inshore and fresh, beyond obvious marketing, I was concerned about components such as guides not fairing to well in the salt environment. I guess that's not the case.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Roy's in Corpus Christi TX sells about 100 Recons per month for Trout and Reds! If the action works, why not?! The only thing you have to watch is guide quality. Obviously cheap guides will get ruined in no time in the Salt and Brackish water! Phenix is getting ready to bring out an inshore version of our new M1s. The only thing you have to verify is region. A So-Cal inshore rod is WAY different than a gulf coast inshore rod! Roy's will soon have a version of the M1s with Recoils as well!! So keep an eye out for them if your a recoil fan.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:43 pm

jrk wrote: I was concerned about components such as guides not fairing to well in the salt environment.
That is a concern. You're not off base. But...it takes a titanium frame to be really corrosion resistant and very very few rods have those kinds of guides. Regardless if they're classified as Inshore or not.

If you take care of your gear and wash your guides after each outting in the salt, you'll be as OK with a Freshwater rod as you will an Inshore.

heatmiser
Angler
Angler

Post by heatmiser » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am

I have used my Dobyns rods inshore all summer long. Worked great!

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:39 am

A Legend Xtreme should do just fine for inshore. I have used rods with alconite/ stainless, Ti SIC, and Recoil guides in the gulf for the last few years, and none of them have shown any signs of corrosion or anything. I would just make sure you thoroughly rinse every bit of the rod every time you finish fishing to be safe.

Also I would recommend a rod with a fast action rather than an extra fast because I've always felt that XF rods feel less forgiving when fighting really powerful, hard fighting fish like redfish and jacks. I think that they would be more likely to snap if you have a fish make one last hard charge under the boat or pier you're standing on or any other situation that suddenly puts lots of pressure on the rod. Plus XF rods seem to have a better chance of ripping the hook out too. These mainly apply if you're using fairly heavy line and a locked down drag though.

This is just how I feel though. I'm sure that there are lots of people who have more experience with fishing saltwater than I do who use XF rods and love them.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 am

I have several "freshwater" rods that have been used for at a long time without any problems. I just rinse them off with warm water after every use.

shallow thinker
Angler
Angler

Post by shallow thinker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm

You are on the right track with what has been posted. I do lots of inshore saltwater fishing and my favorite setups are medium rods with XF action. XF just feels better when throwing 1/8 to 3/8 ounce lures. The tip hasn't been an issue with breakage when fighting fish (100 lb tarpon will stress your drag before they break you off). Last weekend I did break off 6 inches of the tip of a Shimano Terramar retrieving a jig out of the mangroves but that was clearly operator error. I'd be looking at XF action for reds and trout.

SneakySnook
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SneakySnook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm

I use the g-loomis smallmouth rod for my inshore rod and have never had a problem.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:19 pm

I do not personally own a rod (or reel for that matter) that I would not put in saltwater. I don't own any magnesium reels, so everything I own will see both inshore/freshwater action. I rinse them down and have never had an issue at all. My avatar pic was caught on a Calcutta and a Dobyns DX703. As much as I would like to try a Steez, I do not think I ever will until they come out with a saltwater version. Just buy what you like...take care of it...and enjoy whatever fishing you like!

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks for all the replies. I sincerely appreciate the help. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Now if I just had the guts to use my Calais DC inshore, I'd really be getting more use out of my money.

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 pm

jrk wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I sincerely appreciate the help. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Now if I just had the guts to use my Calais DC inshore, I'd really be getting more use out of my money.
It is possible, but you must be very thorough with the cleaning. The chrome plating will peel if there's residue left from evaporated salt water.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

The high end freshwater rods are the bread and butter of the bay fisherman here on the west coast. The characteristics are much better than any saltwater rods for the type of fish we're targeting. It's really tough to beat the closeout deals on the Cumaras for $99 for inshore fishing.