Help me pick a rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jy87
Angler
Angler

Help me pick a rod

Post by jy87 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:45 pm

I want something around 7 foot. Something that has good balance/sensitive. I dont like carrying more than one rod so im looking for a rod that can do almost everything.

The rods ive been looking at are Dobyns Extreme, Phenix M1, 13 Fishing Omen and possibly a Megabass Black Elseil. Other suggestions are welcome. Which model and power would be suited for me? The stores around here doesn't carry these rods which sucks. The rod will most likely be mounted on a Shimano Core 51

What i use most in order are; wacky rigging worm, texas rigging plastics, frogs, swimbaits and then everything else.

With the holidays coming up, i may pick one up soon if theres a good deal. Im not in a rush since i wont be fishing til next spring.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help me pick a rod

Post by lpquick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

If I were you, I would send a PM to bronze fly and get his opinion. Plus I’m sure thru tackle trap you will get a deal to make you happy. Great folks to deal with, I know when it’s my turn to pull the trigger on a Megabass rod they will get my business. Let us know how it works out.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Kistler z-bone.

MEGAbASS HOLE
Angler
Angler

Post by MEGAbASS HOLE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 am

I kinda do the same thing when I'm beating the banks. I've owned a lot of Megabass and a few Jackall rods. They were awesome rods and still have a small selection of choice ones that are more sentimental to me but I have seen the light with Dobyns. I am blown away with Champion Extreme series. I honestly didn't realize what I was missing and wish I had picked up the rods long ago. I am in the process of replacing all my deck rods with them. I always pick up the DX 742 when playing on banks. I just recently started bringing the DX 745 and I think I like it even more. I can fire a 1/2 ounce jig/lure/worm farther than I have ever been able to. I am hitting new what was untouchable water now from shore. The finish of the rods is awesome, love the flip flop paint. I have notices it varies from rod to rod in how metallic the rod blanks are but that's ok. It has great cork grips and I like the smaller guides not a micro but not normal either. The action is great I love how the tip can load up and hook sets are nice and sweet. I just can't say enough on much they have impressed me. The one issue I do have and have noticed on my rods is that the eyelets are ever so slightly misaligned on a few and I mean just barely. It doe NOT effect performance at all it is more of my OCD with things have to be perfectly symmetrical (very honest about this, the slightest out of symmetry of anything I am working on I lose sleep over until its fixed). I thought at first the 742 was going to be too soft but it get powerful fast when setting the hook, and exact opposite for the 745 I thought it was going to be a broom stick, but it keeps a nice smooth powerful action all the way through. Hope some of this rambling helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions and ill be happy to answer.

jy87
Angler
Angler

Post by jy87 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the input MEGAbASS HOLE.

What the difference between the dx703 and the dx743 besides the cork and the extra 4 inch? Does the extreme come with tangle free guides? I have the Savvy spinning model and love the balance on it. Will the extreme balance be about the same?

jmatsuoka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmatsuoka » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Phenix M1 the 7'2" MH Plenty of backbone nice tip still good for shaking a worm. It's really light very versatile and it's super strong. The rod balances very nicely.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:16 pm

There is a HUGE gap in being about to effectively cast a weightless/wacky-rigged worm and effectively setting the hook on a frog...and although you didnt mention it, the G Loomis MBR 843 is as versatile a rod as you'll find, more or less covering the gamut in between those applciations mentioned.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

If you are in the south or fishing heavy cover on regular bases, DX745. If you are up north, or fishing moderate cover and edges. DX744. Yes that 4 inches does make a HUGE difference. Imagine a heavy rod with a medium/medium heavy tip. If I can only fish one model all day long. I probably have a few DX744 on deck. That being said. Wacky rig / weightless is total opposite of frog and swimbaits. Even frog and swimbaits have different requirements.

MEGAbASS HOLE
Angler
Angler

Post by MEGAbASS HOLE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm

jy87 wrote:Thanks for the input MEGAbASS HOLE.

What the difference between the dx703 and the dx743 besides the cork and the extra 4 inch? Does the extreme come with tangle free guides? I have the Savvy spinning model and love the balance on it. Will the extreme balance be about the same?
Are you looking for a spinning rod or casting? I thought we were talking casting rods based on your reel selection. I don't believe I have bee heard of tangle free guides on casting rods. Regardless I can tell you from the thousands of casts I have made I've never tangled up on a guide.

The powers are the same but that's a little misleading. I feel the shorter rod is a little faster of an action when the power is coming on since it is slightly shorter. The balance isn't an issue dobyns does a phenomenal job making sure the rods balance nicely with any average baitcasting reel. I personally thought the 7'4" rod was going to be wayyyyy to long but I will never second guess that again. You will love it. The extra distance also is nice for reaching out over thick grass bluffs between me and the water at times. I don't even notice how much longer it is than what I used to fish anymore.

jy87
Angler
Angler

Post by jy87 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

MEGAbASS HOLE wrote:
jy87 wrote:Thanks for the input MEGAbASS HOLE.

Are you looking for a spinning rod or casting? I thought we were talking casting rods based on your reel selection. I don't believe I have bee heard of tangle free guides on casting rods. Regardless I can tell you from the thousands of casts I have made I've never tangled up on a guide.

The powers are the same but that's a little misleading. I feel the shorter rod is a little faster of an action when the power is coming on since it is slightly shorter. The balance isn't an issue dobyns does a phenomenal job making sure the rods balance nicely with any average baitcasting reel. I personally thought the 7'4" rod was going to be wayyyyy to long but I will never second guess that again. You will love it. The extra distance also is nice for reaching out over thick grass bluffs between me and the water at times. I don't even notice how much longer it is than what I used to fish anymore.
Im looking for a baitcaster rod. I own a savvy microguide spinning rod and sometimes it tangles up on the guide while im wacky rigging, which is why i was wondering if the guides were tangle free. I was thinking of getting the 703 since it is more convenient, putting in the car. Im debating between the 703 and the 743. Ive read a lot on the 743 being better.

Which model is better for how i fish? I mainly wacky rig, texas rig and then sometimes frog, swimbaits and then everything else. I usually throw lighter lures. At the heaviest id say i use 1/2 oz frogs/jigs/spinners/etc. I usually dont throw 1/2 oz that much. Could you explain the action a little more? I know xfast action loads at the tip and fast is a little bit lower. What does it do with hooksets? Whats better for what im doing?

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 am

One of the discontinued Cumaras might fit the bill. They are light, sensitive and would be a great match for the Core you have. Plus they can be found on sale now which makes them even more attractive.

jy87
Angler
Angler

Post by jy87 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:37 am

i_am_R2 wrote:One of the discontinued Cumaras might fit the bill. They are light, sensitive and would be a great match for the Core you have. Plus they can be found on sale now which makes them even more attractive.
Thanks for letting me know. Im not interested in the Cumaras, one of my friend's friend has broken a couple of cumaras from what he told me.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 pm

jy87 wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:One of the discontinued Cumaras might fit the bill. They are light, sensitive and would be a great match for the Core you have. Plus they can be found on sale now which makes them even more attractive.
Thanks for letting me know. Im not interested in the Cumaras, one of my friend's friend has broken a couple of cumaras from what he told me.
I've fished my Cumaras for 2-4 years now. None of them have broken on me and all of them have landed me tons of fish. However, I have seen one break before right in front of my very eyes. But that was because he was using the 6'8" Medium and was trying to horse his fish out and away from weeds. Of course, the high sticking didn't help either. :doh:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 pm

The DX743 will feel better with Texas rigs and wacky worms. The DX744 will handle frogs and small swim baits better. If I could only have one I would get the 744. I also have a Megabass Black Elseil X4 and it shines with jerkbaits and topwater baits although it would work with light plastics if needed. I would not use it with frogs and swim baits.

jy87
Angler
Angler

Post by jy87 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Does anyone know how the balance will be with the core 51 between the dx703 and dx743? I would rather have a balanced rod than a tip heavy one.