M1 from Phenix

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

M1 from Phenix

Post by Str8upirish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Time to get locked and loaded.
The new M1 with Carbon Fiber Nanotube Technology from Phenix Rods started shipping to dealers today. Check them out. \:D/
http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: M1 from Phenix

Post by biggs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am

Your link takes us to the crankbait rods.

Try this one:
http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=60

Not sure I like the brown and black mixed handles and the brown and black checkered reel seats...........

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Sorry for the dumb question but here goes.

These seem to be very similarly priced to the recon series. Are these designed to be a replacement? Or are they for something different?

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Something different. Made with a different technology. Recons are high modulus Carbon Fiber blanks... M1s are also Carbon Fiber blanks, but infused with m1 Nano resin to reinforce strength. I've done some reading online regarding the use of Nanotechnology in building rods... The conclusion i came to is it enhances the material used in the construction of the blank. To make a loose analogy, it's how GLX materials become an NRX blank.

As a side note... I'm really looking forward to using these rods. Been real happy with my Recons, MBXs, and K2.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Robchick pretty much explains it! They are a different Technology then the Recons. Recons are not going to be discontinued, in fact, the new Recon2s are scheduled to hit in about 3 weeks! Only time will tell if one will outsell the other. With the Nanotube and inner wall reverse scrim, the M1s are almost indestructible! In fact, the demo blank we have been showing for the last year has dead lifted 5lbs of lead tied to the tip at 90 degrees!!

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Forgot to mention, there are already 3 new models that we have added that are not on the website yet! A Casting 74ML, 74MH, and a spinning 74MH! These 3 were requested for our Florida dealers and Gulf Coast Red Fish Dealers!

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Hm, this is interesting as I was thinking about picking up a recon for pitching/flipping. Now I'm gonna have to wait.

Are the recon2s and these m1 rods going to share the same pricepoint? Can you shed some light on the differences between the recon2s and these rods?

88ms3
Angler
Angler

Post by 88ms3 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Vince Borges wrote:Forgot to mention, there are already 3 new models that we have added that are not on the website yet! A Casting 74ML, 74MH, and a spinning 74MH! These 3 were requested for our Florida dealers and Gulf Coast Red Fish Dealers!
Can u give us the details on these new model rods since they are not on the website . Lure weights, line size, etc. I'm interested in the spinning and trying to decide ide between the 72M or the 74MH. Is there much of a weight difference.

skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by skeletor6 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 pm

robchik04 wrote:Something different. Made with a different technology. Recons are high modulus Carbon Fiber blanks... M1s are also Carbon Fiber blanks, but infused with m1 Nano resin to reinforce strength. I've done some reading online regarding the use of Nanotechnology in building rods... The conclusion i came to is it enhances the material used in the construction of the blank. To make a loose analogy, it's how GLX materials become an NRX blank.

As a side note... I'm really looking forward to using these rods. Been real happy with my Recons, MBXs, and K2.
Using your loose analogy, do you think the m1 rods are going to have advantages that the NRX series has over the glx?

I'm looking at grabbing either the new m1 or new recon rods and I was wondering in theory if we would see the same lightweight sensitive properties that the recons have in the m1's.

Vince, has there been any changes to the new recon line to offset the slight tip heaviness of the Gen 1 recons?

Thanks

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 pm

That's a great question... to which i can only speculate the answer... I would say it would have at most equal sensitivity... possibly less... I look at the abu Garcia Vendetta, Veritas, and Volatile Rods... All use 30-ton Graphite blanks, but the Veritas and Volatile incorporate Nano Technology. So i think the question is, what modulus does the M1 use and how does it compare to the materials used in the Recon? The recon is a pretty dang sensitive and light weight rod! My guess... The M1 has similar sensitivity, maybe weigh more, but have far different tapers. More of the Fast - Extra Fast action inline with USDM rods... Dobyns, Powell, etc... vs the 'slower' or truer tapers of a Recon. Just my guess. regardless... M1s and Recons will be on the deck this coming tournament season.

Here's a couple ideas for 2013-14 Nano K2 & Nano Recon, PLEASE!!! 8-)

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:58 pm

I recently received my phenix m1 nano rod yesterday. I pre-ordered it when Phenix came to my local tackle store's Customer Appreciation Sale. Anyways, I got a 15% off deal along with a free Phenix jersey ($79.99 value) which totally rocks. I bought the 7'2 heavy extra fast action to use for general swimbait duties as well as inshore duties for calicos, etc. By the way, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way this rod balances and it is very lightweight as compared to the recons for which I didn't buy for these specific reasons. I will be posting up a review soon when I can get a chance to fish this rod.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:54 am

Beezy can you please elaborate more on the differences between the M1 and Recon?

Thanks!

Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Str8upirish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 am

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:58 pm

sarcazmo wrote:Beezy can you please elaborate more on the differences between the M1 and Recon?

Thanks!
I will be posting up a review shortly, but the jist of why I didn't buy the Recon rod was the handle was too short for my liking. I actually got to go to Phenix's warehouse and I asked them why did they choose to implement a shorter handle which to me was a MAJOR reason why I didn't buy it. The response I got was that they surveyed a random group of 20 people and 17 of them preferred a shorter handle for flipping and pitching purposes. I will go more into detail on this when I do the review on my M1 rod.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Any reviews yet?? id love to hear more about the 7ft8mh and 7ft8 heavy....They sure are a great looking stick.....