Best $100 rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best $100 rods?

Post by Reeltor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:30 pm

You might be able to find some of the older model full cork Crucials on ebay for around $100 Fantastic rods and way better in my opinion than the new ones. :D

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm

If you can find last years model the Gander MTN GSX Tournament (the blue one) are pretty nice. $90
Most of the guys I work with own one and they wont shut up about how nice they are.

Some of last years should be around at some stores.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:00 am

smalljaw wrote:I don't think you can beat the HMG from Fenwick with the parameters you set but there is an option even lower and that is the Fenwick HMX, not the new ones that are just coming out but the ones already on shelves. You can find them for like 70 dollars and they feel very nice as is the Fenwick Silverhawk exclusive to Cabelas. I think Fenwick is your best be at a low price decent rod with a full cork grip.
This.

Most rods are now split grip so finding a full corked rod that is good in this price range is rather limited. 2yrs ago, I would have recommended Shimano's Compre but no more cork. If you can get by the Split Grip like others have stated, this will open even more doors to better rods. St. Croix's premieres are outdated, clunky looking, and looks like an Ugly Stik next to many newer rods - Veritas, Omen Black, Gen2 Compre, Falcon Bucoo, etc,.

Max-4
Angler
Angler

Post by Max-4 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 am

I know there are some good rods out there but I can't get past the split grip, I dont like casting with it or the way it feels along my forearm. I guess my options are the Falcon Original, Fenwick HMG/HMX or St Croix Premier series. Which one would you recommend out of these or is there any im missing? Thanks

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:22 am

I would go Falcon then Fenwick. I'd forget about the premier.

Tennanah
Angler
Angler

Post by Tennanah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:36 am

Check-out Rapsody Rods. I also like my TFO-Loomis, Browning Silaflex and St. Croix Mojo Bass. Cork!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:20 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISTLER-MAGNESI ... 5d2ffcf40b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISTLER-MAGNESI ... 4841b267ae

I like full cork rods as well due to my large hands. Dobyns makes full cork, and you may want to keep an eye out for the fenwick techna rods. They go for about a hundred or so on epay as well.

Max-4
Angler
Angler

Post by Max-4 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:27 am

bmadd wrote:I would go Falcon then Fenwick. I'd forget about the premier.
Hmmm, thats a few people who have not recommended the St. Croix Premier series now. I wonder what makes the Falcon Original or the Fenwick HMG a better rod. I guess they are about $30 less than the St. Croix. I am located in southern Ontario so availability to Canada is a bit tough with the companies like Kitsler or Falcon.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Love my 13 Omen black!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I'd stay away from those Kistler mags, you don't really know what blank you're getting as they switched a few times which is why you find them on ebay cheap and a lot of thos switches were due to breakage and Kistler isn't good with warranty on anything under a LTA.The Croix Premier isn't bad but at the price point you can do so much better.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:03 pm

The only split grip that i like that has a handle large enough for my huge hands it the abu veritas. I have the 7'3" and it has a ton of backbone in MHF. I have the daiwa HTSA on it and thats a large reel as well. Most of the quality full grip rods are 2 or more. I love the avid and dont like the one premier i have, The guides are huge and its not near as nice. The abu can be found on line for 80 so its a great deal, but the length can be a transport issue. I have not used the kistler rods i posted just looking for rods to meet your requirements which just happens to be the same ones i look for. I only know about that one particular abu so other sizes might have smaller handles.

Max-4
Angler
Angler

Post by Max-4 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:14 pm

smalljaw wrote:I'd stay away from those Kistler mags, you don't really know what blank you're getting as they switched a few times which is why you find them on ebay cheap and a lot of thos switches were due to breakage and Kistler isn't good with warranty on anything under a LTA.The Croix Premier isn't bad but at the price point you can do so much better.
Such as? I am completely open to ideas, I do want the spinning rod to be a full cork grip infront and behind of the reel seat. The casting rod however can have a full grip behind the reel seat but I think im ok with nothing infront or maybe a small grip....

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:27 am

Max-4 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:I'd stay away from those Kistler mags, you don't really know what blank you're getting as they switched a few times which is why you find them on ebay cheap and a lot of thos switches were due to breakage and Kistler isn't good with warranty on anything under a LTA.The Croix Premier isn't bad but at the price point you can do so much better.
Such as? I am completely open to ideas, I do want the spinning rod to be a full cork grip infront and behind of the reel seat. The casting rod however can have a full grip behind the reel seat but I think im ok with nothing infront or maybe a small grip....
You may want to check out the Quantum Tour Edition rods on Tackle Warehouse, they may very well work for you. I think they are now like $69.99 or something like that. Most here don't like them but the Tour Edition rods are pretty good and normally go for $119 so check those out, you may find it worth trying.

Max-4
Angler
Angler

Post by Max-4 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:03 pm

I think for my spinning rod I am settled on the Fenwick HMG 6'6" medium action 2 piece, it should pair nicely with my Shimano Symetre 3000 FJ.
Last edited by Max-4 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
smalljaw wrote:I don't think you can beat the HMG from Fenwick with the parameters you set but there is an option even lower and that is the Fenwick HMX, not the new ones that are just coming out but the ones already on shelves. You can find them for like 70 dollars and they feel very nice as is the Fenwick Silverhawk exclusive to Cabelas. I think Fenwick is your best be at a low price decent rod with a full cork grip.
This.

Most rods are now split grip so finding a full corked rod that is good in this price range is rather limited. 2yrs ago, I would have recommended Shimano's Compre but no more cork. If you can get by the Split Grip like others have stated, this will open even more doors to better rods. St. Croix's premieres are outdated, clunky looking, and looks like an Ugly Stik next to many newer rods - Veritas, Omen Black, Gen2 Compre, Falcon Bucoo, etc,.
The Compre from a few years back were VERY nice. The newer models I've had VERY bad luck with. The cork handles cracked on a few of mine due to plain bad design (when the rod was flexed it pushed on the side of the cork, ripping it apart) I remember my 7' Light Compre from a few years ago, probably one of my favorite rods ever until it snapped setting the hook on a fish.

Right now, I'm using a 7'6" L Fenwick River-Runner that is very nice. The handle is super nice to hold, but the only drawback I can think of is the handle is shorter than most rods by a few inches. That being said, it gives the rod a bit more maneuverability.