St Croix LT Crank Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St Croix LT Crank Rods

Post by pharmboy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 pm

I have the MM crank rod for throwing the shallow stuff and small lipless, but am looking to get a deeper crank rod. Anyone have experience with the Big Crank model (7'8" MHM).....just wondering if it can handle a DD20. I mostly fish in the 10-16ft range but occasionally go to 20fters. I have fished with my buddies Magnum Cranker (7'10") - so I know it is ideal for the really deep cranks, but was wondering if I could get away with the Big Cranker because of what I more frequently toss (and save $20). Thanks for the input.

JoseC
Angler
Angler

Re: St Croix LT Crank Rods

Post by JoseC » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 pm

pharmboy wrote:I have the MM crank rod for throwing the shallow stuff and small lipless, but am looking to get a deeper crank rod. Anyone have experience with the Big Crank model (7'8" MHM).....just wondering if it can handle a DD20. I mostly fish in the 10-16ft range but occasionally go to 20fters. I have fished with my buddies Magnum Cranker (7'10") - so I know it is ideal for the really deep cranks, but was wondering if I could get away with the Big Cranker because of what I more frequently toss (and save $20). Thanks for the input.
I am also looking into these rods, any feedback anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 am

I am not sure what DD20 means although you mentioned something with 20 feet. I have been using the 7'8 with strike king XD6 (17++) and it feels great (paired with a 250 TE DC) - and if you feel like it upgrade later on to the new LegendXtreme with identical specs :)

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 am

SWH wrote:I am not sure what DD20 means although you mentioned something with 20 feet. I have been using the 7'8 with strike king XD6 (17++) and it feels great (paired with a 250 TE DC) - and if you feel like it upgrade later on to the new LegendXtreme with identical specs :)
I bet he meant a Norman DD22. I was looking at the same rod as him. Do you have the newer one (2012 model) and how does that reel seat feel when cranking all day? I like a split grip for bottom contact baits, not sure about reaction types.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 am

I can fish all day with it comfortably and if you can use it for reactive baits it should be no issue just keeping a steady grip for cranking. Just got mine upgraded right now to the new legendxtreme, however, the blank is not straight .. I miss the old one already :)

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 pm

If you believe the blank isn't straight......send it back for no charge. Any manufacturer defects are covered 100% by SC I believe. And yes, I did mean the Norman DD20 as an example of a 20 ft crank. Sounds like the 7'8" big cranker should suit my needs. THanks for the input.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Just looked at the SC 2013 Xtreme lineup and noticed the 7'8" MHM cranking rod weighs 5.7 oz versus the LTB 7'8" MHM crank rod being just 4.0 oz. Not sure if a typo or what, but I am not sure about the big weight jump when one would think it would be lighter in the Xtreme series. I guess thats just another reason to save $150 and go with the LTB.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm

I've noticed them being heavier. I wonder if it's the new grip design which also has added to the better balance point.

Also just to add another rod the falcon cara deep runner that TT reviewed is an excellent rod for Normans.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Just got the Big Cranker in the mail. 7'8"MHM - Initial impression - Rod is incredibly light for the length but I am not sure it will be able to handle the DD20s .....unfortunately I think I should have gotten the magnum cranker to handle all cranking duties. This rod will suit most of my cranking duties but no way its powered to crank at 16-20ft all day. If that's what you are looking for get the magnum. Will post more when I get it on the water this weekend.....crank bite is on here!