New Dobyns big bait rods...real big.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Dobyns big bait rods...real big.

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 am

VEEDUBGYRL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Dobyns big bait rods...real big.

Post by VEEDUBGYRL » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 am

i need to check a few of these out!
VEEDUBGYRL

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:05 am

They are listed on Dobyns site.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:26 am

I like how the rod is loading in the video. Makes casting that big bait (8" Bullshad??) look easy. I think I remember Matt Allen talking about new rods being developed in one of his Tactical Bassin videos a while ago.

Looks like they have the new 765CB (graphite) listed now too. :D

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am

Yeah, Matt has posted on SBN about how awesome the rods are.

VEEDUBGYRL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VEEDUBGYRL » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:Yeah, Matt has posted on SBN about how awesome the rods are.

i will hafta read up on this...
VEEDUBGYRL

supermat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supermat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:40 pm

I caught wind of this discussion and thought I'd join in the fun.
Civic, these are the rods I had mentioned so long ago. They're unreal, I couldn't be happier about how they turned out.
These two sticks are something that you really have to pick up (and ideally fish with) to understand what they're about. Every guy I've let fish the prototypes fell in love with them immediately. It takes about two casts for the light bulb to go on and you hear the inevitable "I get it".
Without getting too technical, the key to building a proper swimbait rod is a combination of rod length, action, and power. These rods are designed to load down through much of the blank(opposite of the "pool cue" style rods) but still have a ton of back bone in the lower section of the rod.

If you live in the area, call me and I'll let you check mine out. If you don't, do yourself a favor and try it, you might just change the way you throw swimbaits. \:D/

Matt Allen

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Matt, cool of you to reply on the thread. I really liked the video you did on the actions of swimbait rods. That one & the jig rod thread (Champion 765). They both made a lot of sense to me after doing some experimenting.

BTW, every time I see you in one of your killer swimbait videos, I think I should be booking you for a Clear Lake trip. :D

supermat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supermat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks Civic, I appreciate the support. People are definitely taking notice of the rod action videos and making adjustments. I feel the rod action trend we're currently in is one of those rare times where what the industry is doing is completely different from what the angler actually needs. Hopefully with a little education we can change that! [-o<
And you just say the word on a trip to Clearlake. 8-) Its so much fun up there right now! Then again, there are only about 7 weeks out of the year when I don't really enjoy Clearlake. The bite may change but the big ones are ALWAYS biting.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey Mat, I hope you are still around and can answer my questions. I'm relatively new to the big bait game and my arsenal is slowly growing. I wanna pull the trigger on a new Dobyns to fish primarily 8" Hudds rigged Butch Brown style and maybe a bait or two that runs a little heavier if the rod can handle it. Now I was initially going to go with the 806 because even though the BB rig isn't a full on treble, I kinda thought those two hook points may warrant the use of a rod with that type of blank. After watching your swimbait rod action video, I'm wondering if I might want the 807 or even one of these newer rods. Mind you, I will not be using any jig hook Hudds, only BB rig.

Also, on the smaller side of things, what would you suggest for the Mattlures hard and soft line of gill baits? It's gonna be a while before I can make more rod purchases but I definitely want at least one set up for his gills because I'm REALLY liking those baits.

Thanks a lot for posting both here and the Nation, I always get a lot out of your videos and I appreciate your willingness to share.

supermat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supermat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Toadslayer,
I'm glad you caught me. I'm not usually on the forums anymore. If you need anything else feel free to drop me a line on my email at tacticalbassin@gmail.com

For the mattlures baits, you're best served with a 795. That's a great rod for those smaller baits. For the 8" hudd, even BB style the new 867 is a killer rod. You've got similar power to the 807 but with a longer taper. You'll love that rod. Its too big for the little mattlures but it will kill the hudd fish for you.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:26 am

Awesome Mat, thank you again.

Mike Long
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Mike Long » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:36 am

What's up guys, I've had lots of people ask about the new Dobyns Swimbait Rods, my video was just a fun intro to the new rods, I put the rod specs on the YouTube description. As for how well they work, I've been using 8'-6",9'-6", and 9'-8" rods for over 17 years built by Graphite USA back in the day, they were built for inshore salt water fishing but as many of us started tossing bigger swimbaits in fresh water for largemouth bass we needed some of these mega mag style rods to get the job done .
So what has changed over the years, #1 is the weight of the blanks, handles, and guides, my old rods are super strong, but weigh 2 1/2 times what the new Dobyns Swimbait rods weigh. #2 is the as materials over the years have gotten better, and methods of building fishing rods have improved tremendously it has helped to improve the action of the bigger rods where you can have a lighter action big rod with a powerful backbone increasing the casting distance incredibly. But there is one problem with buying a fishing rod, and that is we are all as humans built just a little bit different, short guys, tall guys, long arms, short arms, messo, ecto, or endo morph bodies types ,and basic styles of casting etc...so what might work for me,might not work the same for the next guy. Solution, there are some great swimbait guides out there Matt Allen being one them that you can get in the boat with and test out the rods, or at a booth at one the fishing shows they always have plenty of rods to check out, or ask a friend while on the water to check out a rod or two to see if it fits your size and style. Bottom line it's an awesome time we live, better rods, and swimbait lures are always coming out for all of us to enjoy.

ML

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Wow, thanks for the post Mike. I've recently discovered your YouTube channel and I'm diggin' the videos you have been making. No doubt, I'm on board with that 8'-6" rod. Can I ask, is the handle how you like it? As in long enough? I was gonna get either the 806 or 807 ML because that extra length sounds like something I might really like.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 am

Well, it looks like buying directly from Dobyns might be the only way to go for now. Here is a copy of an email response from TW to my inquiry about the news rods.

Unfortunately we will not be brining either of these rods in anytime in the near future.These rods are a little longer and heavier than the rods we usually stock for swimbait anglers however we will notify our buyer of your inquiry for future consideration. We apologize for the miscommunication in our previous e-mail. Please e-mail info@tacklewarehouse.com or call 1-800-300-4916 and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to help if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing Tackle Warehouse.

Sincerely,

Tackle Warehouse
Online Services erh
info@tacklewarehouse.com
800-300-4916

You can find the new rods here http://dobynsrods.com/champion-series, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.