Help me decide Recon or Champion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Help me decide Recon or Champion

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 am

I'm having a heck of a time making a decision between the Phenix Recon S723M spinning, and the Dobyns Champion 703SF spinning. I will be using the rod for weightless plastics, small standn yabbies, and light wacky jig heads for smallmouth. It will also be used for some light walleye jigging (up to 5/16), and tossing 1/8 to 3/16 ounce hair jigs for big triploid trout. Bare in mind these fish get up to 20 pounds, and it is typical to catch 8-12 pounders. They don't make a lot of runs or fight and pull to crazy, but it's still a lot of weight. I've heard good and bad regarding the recons, and nothing but positive about the champions. I'm pretty much a Powell guy, so this will be a leap for me. The recon looks fresh, but I'm not a big fan of the hook hanger location or foam. I also understand they have a bit more of a parabolic taper and I like that. I have a Savvy that I'm not real crazy about, again I prefer my endurance. Sensitivity, balance, and and a stick that is possible of fishing a tad beyond it's specs are key. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks...

dturnersr
Angler
Angler

Re: Help me decide Recon or Champion

Post by dturnersr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:24 am

I have fished the Champ 703SF as well as both the Savvy and Extreme's my hands down favorite is the DS742SF, but with that said the 703SF is great I personally prefer the longer 763SF in the Champ line.
Dobyn's
Gann's Tackle
The Rod Glove
Lew's
Accucull

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 pm

i have both phenix rods and dobyns rods in my arsenal. unfortunately, i don't have the ones that you are trying to compare. my personal preference is the recon. i too like the slower taper.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: Sensitivity, balance, and and a stick that is possible of fishing a tad beyond it's specs are key. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks...
If you're looking for a rod that fishes "a tad beyond its specs" then you don't want a Phenix. Phenix is notorious for rating rods heavier then they actually fish.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 am

I dont think the bass will be an issue, but the heavier trout, hmmm... I'd say the lure weights you are suggesting are right in it's wheel house.

The 703, i'm not super familiar. It will fish heavier in action, possibly weight as well. It will also have a faster tip.
robchik.com

ThatKidCash
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ThatKidCash » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 pm

I had the Savvy 703SF and still have my Recon 723. I used them both for dropshotting, wacky senkos, and finesse jigs. I have to say the Recon was far superior in terms of sensitivity. I also liked the more parabolic action of the Recon as compared to the feel of the Savvy. I do not know how the Savvy would compare to the Champion line because I have not owned one. Just giving my experience with the Recon 723 as compared to the Dobyns Savvy 703. Whatever you decide, let us know what you think of your new rod!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Purchased the Champion and still waiting for delivery. Thanks for all your help. Gary Dobyns even shot me an Email much to my surprise.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:46 am

Sorry to hijack, but I am also purchasing a Champion today. Really considered going with the Recon as well, but I like what I've heard about the Champion. This thread helped me out a bit too, so thanks everyone. I may still purchase a Recon before it's all said and done, but I want to see these new M1 rods, plus everything else at Icast, before I make my decision.

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 am

Go with phenix, dobyns doesn't roll their own blanks they just badge them and build them. That is poo poo.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:12 am

dusty wrote:Go with phenix, dobyns doesn't roll their own blanks they just badge them and build them. That is poo poo.
I think you may have your foot in your mouth here. I'm fairly certain Phenix blanks are imported the same way Dobyns are. In fact, I can only think of a handful of companies that make their own blanks. You think they can sell a Recon for $170 that's fully made in the USA? Maybe Vince can confirm, but rod makers are generally fairly secretive when it comes to blank origin, especially when it's non-domestic origin.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 am

Actually, you are both correct. Phenix owns and operates its own manufacturing shop. We manufacture all our own rods. We do not come out of a bulk production manufacture like 90% of the rod and blank companies do. Also correct that we do not manufacture here in the states. This is what helps us to use top quality raw materials and components at such a low MSRP. We also own our own cork and component factory. Almost all of the burlwood that you see is bought right here in the USA in bulk raw form then shippeded overseas to process. 95% of our raw materials are shipped to us from Japan. Hope that answered both statements without devolving to much info! :big grin:
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:
dusty wrote:Go with phenix, dobyns doesn't roll their own blanks they just badge them and build them. That is poo poo.
I think you may have your foot in your mouth here. I'm fairly certain Phenix blanks are imported the same way Dobyns are. In fact, I can only think of a handful of companies that make their own blanks. You think they can sell a Recon for $170 that's fully made in the USA? Maybe Vince can confirm, but rod makers are generally fairly secretive when it comes to blank origin, especially when it's non-domestic origin.

i didn't say anything about where they were manufactured. stop trying to use slight of keyboard mr. wizard.

all i said was dobyns just buys blanks and builds rods. phenix designs their own actions, tapers, has proprietary components, etc. as mr. vincent borges has masterfully articulated.

therefore, we can conclude that a phenix is a superior rod and at a better price to boot.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 am

Vince Borges wrote:Actually, you are both correct. Phenix owns and operates its own manufacturing shop. We manufacture all our own rods. We do not come out of a bulk production manufacture like 90% of the rod and blank companies do. Also correct that we do not manufacture here in the states. This is what helps us to use top quality raw materials and components at such a low MSRP. We also own our own cork and component factory. Almost all of the burlwood that you see is bought right here in the USA in bulk raw form then shippeded overseas to process. 95% of our raw materials are shipped to us from Japan. Hope that answered both statements without devolving to much info! :big grin:
Too bad you chose not to go with some of that cork you own on the Recon series. I would have paid a few extra bucks for that, and I think it would make the Recon look butt hole tight! Yes, I favor cork in a big way :laugh1:

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Vince Borges wrote:Actually, you are both correct. Phenix owns and operates its own manufacturing shop. We manufacture all our own rods. We do not come out of a bulk production manufacture like 90% of the rod and blank companies do. Also correct that we do not manufacture here in the states. This is what helps us to use top quality raw materials and components at such a low MSRP. We also own our own cork and component factory. Almost all of the burlwood that you see is bought right here in the USA in bulk raw form then shippeded overseas to process. 95% of our raw materials are shipped to us from Japan. Hope that answered both statements without devolving to much info! :big grin:
Too bad you chose not to go with some of that cork you own on the Recon series. I would have paid a few extra bucks for that, and I think it would make the Recon look butt hole tight! Yes, I favor cork in a big way :laugh1:
butt hole tight. excellent.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 am

dusty wrote:
thelatrobe33 wrote:

i didn't say anything about where they were manufactured. stop trying to use slight of keyboard mr. wizard.

all i said was dobyns just buys blanks and builds rods. phenix designs their own actions, tapers, has proprietary components, etc. as mr. vincent borges has masterfully articulated.

therefore, we can conclude that a phenix is a superior rod and at a better price to boot.
Carrot stix rolls their own blanks too. Just because they're made in house doesn't make them any more superior. I'm sure Gary Dobyns designs all the actions and tapers that he wants on his products.