Champion Extreme vs Legend Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Champion Extreme vs Legend Elite

Post by tywithay » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Bought some TW gift cards during the 15% sale. Plan on getting a new rod around Independence Day when they have another sale (hopefully). I've heard good things about the Dobyns rods, so they interest me a lot...but the Legend Elites are just as their name implies.

If you had to have one or the other, which would it be? Also, having never held a Dobyns; how is the action? Do they fish a bit stiffer than their power like St. Croix? Or would you compare them closer to the action of a Loomis?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Champion Extreme vs Legend Elite

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:55 pm

In my hands the Legend Elite is more sensitive than the Champion Extreme. St. Croix rods are also more powerful than the Dobyns lineup, though Croix's are more powerful than most sticks out there.

They are both great rods, with awesome QC, but I give the nod to St Croix. JMHO. 8-)

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:30 pm

I started fishing St Croix when I returned to fishing as an adult with a few Premier and Avid series rods. I quickly moved up with LTB for most of my rods. Moving up to Elite and Xtreme rods was a big jump in blank quality both in lightness & sensitivity. I don't fish any of the St Croix rods anymore. (FYI, all the St Croix rods I owned & fished were the previous generation sticks - pre 2012) I now fish the Dobyns Champion & Extreme series rods for all my techniques. Don't get me wrong, the 'croix are good rods. I just find that I prefer the Dobyns. I can't point out one single thing that made me switch, rather it is the combination of things or the whole package that I like better. Action, sensitivity & balance all seem to come together to make a rod that works for how I like to fish.

If you fished rods with the same line/lure ratings side by side, IMO, it would be tough to pick which is more sensitive. I don't think I can honestly say that the Extreme is more or less sensitive than the Elite/Xtreme. I know which I prefer but I probably have a bias. ;) First, the blanks are so good, it would really difficult to pick one. Second, since they aren't mfg with the same actions/tapers, it isn't really comparing apple to apples. Suffice it to say, fishing either of these sticks is eye opening. When you first move up to them, you'll be setting the hook on weeds or a change from small gravel to larger gravel.

In general*, the casting series rods are more like GLoomis MBR sticks vs the faster fast actions that St Croix has. I would also say that the Dobyns are closer to GLoomis power than they are St Croix which do seem to fish more powerfully. To be clear, I'd say a DX703 would feel similar in power to a MBR843 while a LEC7MHF will fish a power heavier. An examination of the lure/line ratings by the respective mfg supports this. For example, both the Dobyns & the GLoomis are rated 1/4-3/4oz while the St Croix is rated 3/8-1oz. In truth, it isn't that the St Croix is a more powerful stick, rather the mfg chooses to rate it differently (MH power) than the majority of mfg would with the same line/lure ratings.

Note that I put an asterisk in the above paragraph & put 'casting' in bold. That is because Dobyns has different series of rods (casting, flip/pitch, etc). Depending on series, the actions can be different even though they are both listed as fast action. Even within a series, there are sometimes differences. Both the DX784ML vs the DX744 are listed as fast while in actual use the DX784ML clearly has a faster action.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 pm

civicrr wrote: In truth, it isn't that the St Croix is a more powerful stick, rather the mfg chooses to rate it differently (MH power) than the majority of mfg would with the same line/lure ratings.

Note that I put an asterisk in the above paragraph & put 'casting' in bold. That is because Dobyns has different series of rods (casting, flip/pitch, etc). Depending on series, the actions can be different even though they are both listed as fast action. Even within a series, there are sometimes differences. Both the DX784ML vs the DX744 are listed as fast while in actual use the DX784ML clearly has a faster action.

Well said. I was incomplete in my response.

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Iowa Matt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 am

I have fished both, though admittedly the Croix far more. I own all Croixs, but wouldn't hesitate to get a dobyns at all. I work in QC, and the quality control of the Croixs is just stunning in my experience. I've owned a ton of nice rods, and thave not ever seen even the slightest imperfection on an elite or extreme. I find the tip actions on the elite with IPC really suite my casting style.

Matt

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 am

The fit and finish is alot nicer on the LTB. The dobyns extreme rods quality is not what it should be for a rod that costs over $300, this has nothing to do with how sensitive the rods is, and I still buy them, but they could be assembled with a little more care.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Weedsnager wrote:The fit and finish is alot nicer on the LTB. The dobyns extreme rods quality is not what it should be for a rod that costs over $300, this has nothing to do with how sensitive the rods is, and I still buy them, but they could be assembled with a little more care.
Could you be more specific about quality control issues with the Extremes. I own 7 of them and they are all perfect. No imperfections, cracked apoxy, or bad cork in any of them. Maybe I have just been very lucky?

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:01 pm

one of the problems on 9 out of 10 of my extremes is the brass ring on the bottom of the rod. the ring is almost always out of round if you hold the butt end of the rod and turn it, it will be indented on one side of the rod, and proud on the other. another problem on some of them is the cork around the brass is chipped out.

the carbon fiber nut that holds the reel on has the same issues on some of them, it will not be smooth all the way around if you pull your thumb downward from the top of the brass shoulder.

the final problem i have seen on them is the guides. some of them are perpendicular to the blank, and some are on an angle, and it's not one guide on the rod that has been bent in shipping.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Weedsnager wrote:one of the problems on 9 out of 10 of my extremes is the brass ring on the bottom of the rod. the ring is almost always out of round if you hold the butt end of the rod and turn it, it will be indented on one side of the rod, and proud on the other. another problem on some of them is the cork around the brass is chipped out.

the carbon fiber nut that holds the reel on has the same issues on some of them, it will not be smooth all the way around if you pull your thumb downward from the top of the brass shoulder.

the final problem i have seen on them is the guides. some of them are perpendicular to the blank, and some are on an angle, and it's not one guide on the rod that has been bent in shipping.
Fair enough. I guess I have been lucky. Thanks for posting pics and detailing the issues. I will be sure to look for them should I get another DX in the future.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't recall any problems with my Extremes.

I'd contact Dobyns about that nut. Seems like the part was mfg properly.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:50 am

I have owned and fished several Legend Xtremes and Dobyns Champion Extremes. So to say the least, here's my 2cents.

St. Croix rods are more powerful than listed. The St. Croix Legend Xtreme XC70MHF (7ft Medium Heavy - Fast) is equivelant to that of my IMX MBR844C (7ft Heavy Fast). As is with all St. Croix Rods when compared to GLoomis Rods in power, St. Croix's MH = GLoomis H, St.Croix's M = GLoomis MH, etc.

As for weight and balance, my 844C is actually alot lighter than the XC70MHF as you can feel it but not by much. But the DX 704 is the lightest of the three. (In fair comparision I don't own a GLX MBR844C. From previously owning and using GLX rods, I would say the GLX 844C would been on par with the Dobyns on weight.) The Dobyns balance better and is not tip heavy. Using my Zillion Type-R, the balance poins on my DX 704C vs XC70MHF vs MBR844C - The Dobyns balance point was about half an inch or less from the nose of the Zillion Type-R vs the MBR844C which is between 1/2inch - 1 inch from the nose of the Zillion Type-R vs the XC70MHF which is almost 1inch to 1 1/2 inches from the nose. Now instead of using the Zillion Type-R, I switched the reel to my Alphas Ito 103 which weighs in under 5.9oz and the balance point on the Dobyns remained identical while the other two rod's balance point increased.

St. Croix rods for quality control purposes, are probably the most well-made and durable rods out there besides custom rods. No issues with epoxy, guides, cork handles etc. From all the Bass Pro and Amateur Pros that I know, who have used St. Croix Rods all have said, through the many years of using St. Croix rods, they have not broken a single rod on a bass...unlike other rods they have tried....*cough...Carrot Stix*. Not to mention probably one of the best Customer Service and warranty amongst Rod Manufacturers as well.

And finally my decision to on which rod is better (for me) after fishing and using my Dobyns along side my Legend Xtremes for a good full year, boils down to a two things. First – ACS reel seat….can’t stand them. Secondly – Balance. A well balanced $100 rod will feel more sensitive than a high end rod with poor balance – IMO. . I will keep some of my Zillions and Gloomis, but plan to switch to mostly Dobyns. IMO, the Dobyns rods are exactly what Gary Dobyns advertise them to be, well balanced very good rods.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 am

civicrr wrote:I don't recall any problems with my Extremes.

I'd contact Dobyns about that nut. Seems like the part was mfg properly.

They have already fixed it

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 am

I have and like both the only reason I have more DXs is because they don't have some of the longer lengths in the elites like the extremes and I don't care for the recoils

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't think there is a better rod made than the LEGEND ELITE!! At any price!!
Fish Hard or Go Home!