BSR852 GLX VS NRX 852S

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mdkd
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

BSR852 GLX VS NRX 852S

Post by mdkd » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 am

I am new to TT, please help me.
I have bsr852 GLX which is senko rod and I do have chance to upgrade to NRX 852s.
Is there anybody use them both? It is worth to spend extra 100 dollars for NRX?

Mainly I am using it for shore senko fishing, weights up to 1/2 ounce.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BSR852 GLX VS NRX 852S

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Both are great rods. I had the BSR GLX for years, used it a lot, caught a lot of nice fish and really enjoyed it, now I have the NRX version and have been equally impressed. Is the NRX $100 better? Depends on who you ask and your budget, but I like the new guide system a lot - especially with FC lines in colder weather. Even lighter braided lines are more comfortable to fish on the NRX rod. I made the upgrade and am happy I did!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:09 pm

If you fish with leaders, you may find the NRX guides a bit diminutive.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 pm

USA-RET wrote:If you fish with leaders, you may find the NRX guides a bit diminutive.
Interesting observation. I've been fising 30lb Daiwa Samurai braid to an 8lb or 10lb FC leader matched up with a Stella 2500 FD on my NRX 852s and haven't found my braid to FC knot to be an issue whatsoever. It does feel to me that the crispness of the blank paired with the diminutive guides nearest the tip enhance the "tick" of the knot passing through the guides, but it doesn't hinder performance in the least. I can throw 1/4 to 3/8 oz jigs a very long distance on lighter lines, have the backbone to set the hook, and the sensitivity to feel the bites on this setup... I love it for tubes and big smallies too 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:20 am

I started with one 852S, and ended with 3. It's addictive. I agree with bronzefly, I've never had an issue with the leader knot passing through the guides on a cast or retrieve. Awesome smallmouth rod, especially fishing 1/4-3/8 oz jigs and tubes in 30+ feet of water.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:17 pm

I have the GLX version for many years and have thought of the same upgrade. The reason I have not upgraded is that I throw Senko's in some pretty nasty stuff with the GLX and it has the butt section to keep me out of trouble. When I look at the NRX version I notice the butt section is much smaller in diameter and that they no longer call it a Senko Rod.

For dropshotting and shaking worms, I'm sure the NRX version would be better for me but I am uncertain as to 4 and 5 inch senko's around moderate hydrilla.