6 vs 7 feet rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 6 vs 7 feet rods

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:19 am

I remember when 7 ft rods were considered long. Most of my rods were 6 to 7 ft. Now most of my rods are 7 ft and longer. I feel as though I get a better hook set and longer cast with a longer rod. I still have 2 spinnerbait rods under 7 ft but that is it. The rest are between 7 ft and 7 ft 8. For me 7'4" is perfect for most applications. I am 5'8" by the way and my arms are on the short side.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote: shorter rod = more leverage.
Would you mind explaining the logic behind this? The longer a rod, the longer the blank, and proportionality longer, the handle.... Longer rods have more leverage.... What am I missing?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote: shorter rod = more leverage.
Would you mind explaining the logic behind this? The longer a rod, the longer the blank, and proportionality longer, the handle.... Longer rods have more leverage.... What am I missing?
think about it. why do people on deep sea charter boats use little 5' stumpy rods? from a vertical position, shorter rods give your more leverage. from a horizontal position (fishing from water level, ex: kayak, float tube) longer rods give more leverage.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Generally speaking, longer rods give the fish more leverage on the angler, whether the angler is vertical or horizontal. This is physics.

What a longer rod can do, if it is stiff enough (okay, leave that alone), is to elevate the effective point from which you apply vertical lift to counter the pull of the fish. But the farther from your hand that lift point is, the more force you must use to counter the fish's pull, which is multiplied by the rod's acting as a lever against you.

thereeldreamer
Angler
Angler

Post by thereeldreamer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't normally use anything under 7'. To me, it is what I am more comfortable fishing with. Most of my rods are anywhere from 7'2"-7'6" and about 5 that are 7'9"-8'. I do however own a few rods under 7' but those are the most neglected out of my collection.
http://chrisitianburnsfishing.weebly.com